Would You Do This Trade?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my bagged '68 caddy deville for this guys bagged '48 ford coupe, should I do it?

he lives in virgina 12 hours from me and I'd have to drive there to make the trade

I'll provide the info for my car & his car and let me know what you guys think..

my car:
Car is bagged on all four corners on brand new Air Lift 2600 Dominator Bags
Two Viar chrome 480 Compressors
3/8 valves & 3/8 air line
AVS chrome switch box
3 gauges for air ride all brand new 200psi from Air Lift
8 gallon flat black air tank
Brand new shocks, it rides like a Cadillac should
Nice running 472 big block motor, very good engine & transmission…automatic transmission
Flowmaster 40 mufflers
Brand new chrome high output 150 amp alternator
Brand new starter
Brand new brakes & brake lines
Brand new Duralast gold top 800 cold cranking amp battery which comes with a 8 year warranty from Autozone and 3 year jump start warranty
Tires are newer and in good shape
New headliner
Car has been undercoated, no rust
Dash in perfect shape, no cracks
Trunk has been sprayed with rhyno liner, looks good and prevents rust and helps with sound deadening
Dynomatted the interior of the car
I have new weather stripping for the trunk still in bag needs to be installed
Original caddy hub caps with bullet centers from Mooneyes
Custom made center console to hold the air ride gauges that needs to be finished
Needs new carpet, old carpet was in bad shape so threw it away
The front seat has a few tears in upholstrey, back seat is perfect..I have a mexican blanket to cover front seat

his car:
Firestone 2500 bags in front (older) F900 Sleeve bags in the rear (new)
small older Viar compressor, 5 gallon tank
AIM rocker switches, gauges for front and rear
4 link in rear
Mustang 2 with tubular controls
new Currie 9'' Ford rear
Clutchless posi trac
31 spline axles
disc brakes all around with 11'' GM rotors in front
Under floor Master cylinder and proportioning valve as well as residual valves front and rear since the calipers are abouve the cylinder to mantain proper pressure
57 Ford dash sectioned 5.5 inches
350 motor bored .30 and fresh turbo 350 trans
80s brown ranger bench for seating
All hubs were upgraded to chevy 5-4 3/4 pattern
16" steelies and wide whites with ribbed trim rings
57 Chevy column

alright let me know what you guys think..I would need to chop it for sure and my plan would be to make it similar to Dice Kobayashi's '47 Ford or Voodoo Larrys '46 Ford

IMG_0138.jpg

1.jpg

cp6.jpg

cp5.jpg

P1000262.jpg

and how I'd like to get the car to look if I got it..

DSC00018_detail.jpg

l_c0164dae0bfb57173b44ca0818960d70.jpg

sledsin20042.jpg

so let me know what you guys think, would you do it? is it worth it? fair trade? horrible trade? my car was just painted, metallic red roof, pinstriping..etc

i would do it ! in the long run the fords be worth more money, and i didnt see anything that wasnt easily fix , beside if you do the mods to it, you got body work to do anyway , plus you may have some other up grades with the car you might want to do, the only factor i see that you have to decide on is , ar you willing to wait for the ford to be done? or do ya want to dive now? me i would be happy with the ford as is just fix a few spots and drive it! but then again it aint my trade! and also , i figure in the deal if its going to be a dailey drive or part time! i believe in building dailey driver so thats another factor! and i also have traded down to get something i always wanted!
the question i would ask myself is! is this a trade down or up and do i want to wait on another project to be ready for me to drive and last do i really want this car?
hope this helps and if not well it helped me to thinki about a trade i am comcidering!:D

Take the F**d. Better deal down the road and easier to find a garage to work on it in

Did I just say that?

Hey Mods...just so you know I wasn't trying to bypass the profanity filter. My keyboard wont let me type F**d

:D

if you are willing to make the chop , I say go for it . If you are not committed, don't do it . you basically have a finished car now , and are taking on a project . I think the end result will be a lot more fun if you are dedicated to chopping and finishing the ford . If you do it ,please take pictures of the build . GO FOR IT !!!!!![cl

Tough choice to say the least! Does the Caddy need work? Are you prepared to do the work that's needed on the Ford? You must like the ford or you wouldn't have gone this far! The Ford will probably be worth more in the long run as someone said, but how much do you like the Caddy?[S I know, I'm a big help right? :D Got to be your decision, not ours!:D.....CR

I'ld trade in a heartbeat. The Cad looks like a really nice car but i like your plans for the '48.

thanks for the input guys appreciate it..heres a lil more info for some who asked..

the caddy is finished it had quite a few rust spots and dents, I spent the last 6 months installing the air ride, doing body work, engine work and painting it..just finished it like 3 or 4 days ago..I drove the car about 10 times total since I bought it last summer most of the time working on it to get it where I wanted...but lost intrest now and put it up for sale/trade I was asking $11,000...he is asking $15,000 for his '48 he says that the frame build was $20,000..you guys think thats accurate?

basically what I'm trying to decide on is, it's a long drive 12 hours I'll have to borrow my friends car hauler and I'll need to re-do the air ride it's not up to my standards and then it's going to be a lot of time & money into the car to get it how I want it..but once it's done it'll be badass

hmmm tough choice..I change my mind everyday haha

few more picts he just sent me..

1208091534.jpg

1208091535.jpg

cp7.jpg

yeah I have a shop, well sorta share a shop with my dads business so I dont have much room but I have all the tools I need and enough room to work on the caddy and that thing is a boat so the ford will be no problem and I agree I've always been that way too the older the better..thats why I love my '30 Ford Coupe..that should be finished by summer...hopefully haha

dont trade

there are other fords out there in better shape. even though i do like the ford i think your just asking for work there. 472 verses a sb 350 no brainer. heck pull your drive train out of caddy and put a small block in it. keep that and sell off or trade out of the caddy

Latest posts

Back