WOW... I AM gettin' old!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Ok... I know I'm an old gray beard & I have definitely forgotten some stuff!!! But while eatin' dinner tonite I was lookin' through the Crosley service manuals & came across something I had totally forgotten... and u young whipper-snappers will laugh @ this! Back in the day... as your brakes wore down you had to re-adjust them periodically. While I was looking through the service manuals it all came back to me... I remembered when they came out with self-adjusting brakes! As you backed up... a mechanism automatically adjusted your drum brakes. I remember thinking... wow... what will they think of next! How things change!!!

BoB

Yep, we have seen the Color TV, Man on the moon, Computer, Microwave oven, several styles of music, radial tires, air bags, cell phones, fast food, clones, major medical advancements, and the list goes on and on. It just makes me wonder what our kids and grandkids will see.

Not to mention the 5 second 300mph quarter mile.

Don't forget the old style trouble shooting without the aid of a computer. My wifes Audi was making a noise. It was the fuel pump. Being under warranty, she took it to the dealers. I told her to tell the service manager it sounded like an electric razor on a counter top. The mechanic agreed and said he thought it was a fuel pump.

Guess what! Because there was no trouble code, they didn't replace the pump. A week later, while driving home, the car died. Had it towed back to the dealer to replace the fuel pump.

Do you remember how to polarize a regulator?

Do you remember how to polarize a regulator?

Wow now thats been a million years since I did that. I'll probably flunk the test. Touch the postitive wire to the negative. Or was it touch the positive to the middle wire. Was there a middle wire?

Isn't it a polarizer what keeps the glare out of your sunglasses?

If you stop to think about it, what a tremendous era we all saw in history. Hard to believe that 100 years ago people were still using horses for transportation, although cars were just coming on the scene in any quantities. Now we have people who have been to the moon and back.

I am so happy I grew up in the times that I did. To me the '50's and '60's were magical. Things were so much more simple, and "Ozzie and Harriet-ish". I can't say I am all that nuts about the direction the world has gone. Crime is so common anymore that we don't even blink when someone gets shot and killed. People seem to be very self centered anymore, and don't even take time to know their neighbors. I honestly think drugs are at the root of many of todays ills.

I guess everything goes in cycles, so I hope someday things return to where we are more civilized and peaceloving that we are now.

Don

Don

Gettin old.....

Man, why you guys gotta remind me how old I'm gettin'? I'm a mechanic and I work with a bunch of kids and one of 'em found an old set of points from my Ford in my toolbox and asked me what the hell they were. This kid's a 20 year old Master Tech right outta Wyotech. I told him what they were and what they did and he just looked at melike I had 3 heads!!! So of course I had to learn him about the basics which they apparently did not include in a $30,000 education(or maybe he was'nt paying attention that day) by dragging him down to my shop to show him what used to be under a dizzy cap. I still dont know if he understood how that little point spark could fire a spark plug.....:eek:

Last edited:
Dual point!

to show him what used to be under a dizzy cap. I still dont know if he understood how that little point spark could fire a spark plug.....:eek:

Cad,
My old brother-in-law had a '69 Z28 that had a dual point distributor! Man... talkin' about a pain in the...

BoB

remember setting the dwell on a chevy i6? BWAHAHAHA havent done that in a while and i'm only 37 years old

Jim

I still have my old Sun tune up kit... timing light, dwell meter & vacuum gauge! Those were the daze! I thought that was some real tuff stuff!!!

BoB

When I first got married I brought home $58 a week. Payed bills bought gas and food. And still went out cruzzin every night. Now I can't even fill my tank for that. :(

When I first got married I brought home $58 a week. Payed bills bought gas and food. And still went out cruzzin every night. Now I can't even fill my tank for that. :(

Yeah... but a car cost $1,500 - $2,500, a large cheeseburger, large fries & larger Coke was 35 cents, gas was 19 cents & a movie was 25 cents!!!

BoB

Did you guys have $1.00 a carload drive-in movie theaters in your area. We still hid guys in the trunk, didn't seem like fun unless you did that.:D:D:D:D

Don

In the 60's we had 50 cents a car load night. Went to a $ in 70 and stayed that way till the 80's it closed down and apartments went in.

"..and the phone had a cord that connected to the wall..."

weird????????:p

well im alot younger so i remember the end of 8 tracks
when i first started to drive gas was 98 cents

and i still hide people in the trunk for drive ins but new trunks you can fit 2 at the most...back with my 77 cadillac it was six easy....meby all my friends are fatter and less flexible now...i dont know

Latest posts

Back