"ya can't help some people" or ''l just don't understand the younger generation''

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
he said if he can't have a rod the way he wants, ha ain't gonna do any rod. yet he complains every time we go that he don't have one:confused:

Later [S

I'll be the devils advocate here[ddd, look at it from his side. He's got a dream, and nothing else will fit that dream, so he's willing to wait until he can build what he wants, the way he wants it. He's frustrated that he can't do it right now, but he's unwilling to go at it until he can do it right. Sounds as though he has his head on right, he's willing to wait for something instead of having something else right now. He knows he doesn't have the money it will take, and that frustrates him also. He will be less willing to go into debt than most.

We all have a stubborn streak. Maybe this kids using his the right way. He wants it his way, and done right the first time. I see nothing wrong with waiting for that. Some of us old folks can learn by his example!

Maybe you could suggest him starting to buy small things for the truck as he can afford them. Then he can store them until he gets what he needs to get started, by that time he can do it the way he wants it. That's the way I do, I collect parts for a long time, sometimes years, before I ever really get started on a project. Then when I'm finished, if they're ever finished, it's the way I want it.

I know most of us would take a freebie, but he seems like he doesn't want to take advantage of you. He may think you would think badly of him for taking something for nothing, then selling it for a profit. Again, he's being stubborn, but he wants to foot the bill for his own stuff. Maybe it's a pride thing. I think he's just being respectful of you.

Lastly, remember he's still young, and hasn't had the life experiences that we have. Age mellows one out, and we tend to look at things differently. Maybe he just needs a little time to experience the real world.

If I may add my humble opinion (and thats all this is, an opinion) but you'd get this kind of view from any generation. I know many an 18 year old (and under) that would love nothing more than to be rollin down the road in a wailed on rat rod or crankin wrenches and wreckin their knuckles instead of videogames. People are the same throughout time, just the toys get different/sophisticated (depending on who you ask) as time goes on.

Some times someone can't see the forest thru the trees. My family thought I lost the last of my marbles when I drug the 51 home. Two years later and a half a dozen project, my boys still can't get thier minds around building a project. They talk the talk but the reality is they don't have the will to wait out the build, they would rather buy one that was done.

hey man, you can send that truck cab and camino donor over my way. :D :D i love you long time....

I know people of all ages that always have an excuse NOT to do something. Or they will want to discuss a situation endlessly instead of just doing it. Always a "but what if...."

Maverickmk, my two boys are 10 and 5, they are both like that. Beautiful sunny day outside........they want to play on the Wii, Ipad or DS. The 10yo, Phoenix, has a 69 Beetle painted like Herbie. It needs work, and we're going to do it together. He get's sad when I'm working on the other cars coz I'm not doing his. I say "Well you come and give me a hand to do this on it today" but he's not interested. Won't get on the road without work, so it's going to have to happen soon!

Skull, maybe you should get all the bits together, put it in the space in the shed and invite him around. Start working on it together as planned, then maybe, once he has a few hours in it, he'll warm to the idea that he could build it and go from there. Just a thought.

Cheers
Andrew

Never build it.

30 years old and living in dream world. Heck,tell him you have someone else who wants the deal if hes not interested. You have gone out of your way for him so just let it go and build it yourself,and when he asks if you need any help tell him no. You can just do so much for him but 30 years old is a little old to be living in a dream world.:cool:

Had a buddy that would build a car, get it started and always find some reason to tear it down and start over again. He never could get a car on the road, always some excuse! Guess he just wasn't a finisher and as an adult he still has the same problem. He's a very talented guy too but has had this problem his entire life. I've built many cars over the years and can't think of one he's ever built to completion and driven.

Toad

Latest posts

Back