Yes I know we covered it...Little nervous

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadRATT

Ok..the BIG day is here..Finally.I am ready to chop da top.!! I pulled all of the glass out and starting taping it off.Now there is just a few questions remaining.I liked how 5 inches look..( 1948 F1 pick up...) but I think everyone goes 4..What do you think..? I left the doors on but should I take them off.?What did you use when chopping..? Saw zall? Saber saw.? Cut off wheel.?...and NO I am NOT going the hacksaw route..LOL.Bracing will be added before it starts..I remembered that part.!!:rolleyes:I REALLY love the mail slot rear window look but I am afraid of not being able to see whats behind me and getting hassled at the same time..What do ya think.?Ok...off to finish a few things left to do.

Whoops!

Sorry... I used a old school hack saw! Goes quicker than u mite think. I suck with a sawzall!

BoB

remember the carpenter's motto......"measure twice-cut once";)

sawzall, and cut-off wheels slow and steady......remember to clean off all old paint/primer before welding anything back together...

back glass is a matter of opinion-i like the look of the mail slot---but would not do it on one i planned on driving alot:cool:

Like Preacher said, measure, remeasure, then sit back and take lots of time before you make the first cut. We've all at one time or another thought we had something measured right, we cut, then it's "OH S***!!!!" Metal is SO hard to add back in, but so easy to remove.:eek:

As for if you should take doors off or leave them on, it is really a personal preference..........we take em off so we can get around the top easier, then we cut the door window frames to fit like a jigsaw puzzle kinda. There are also two ways (at least) to make the top section big enough to fit back down on the lower section. (think pyramid. If you remove a section out of the middle of one the top is now too small to meet up with the bottom section) One way is to cut up the top and put metal in as gap fillers. The second way is to lay the windshield back and maybe tilt the windshield posts in just a tad so it all fits together. I like the second method. I think it takes less metal work and looks swoopier.

Masking tape is your friend too. You can run lines with it to mark off how much chop you are doing and then sit back and eyeball it. Finally, you will get this scared, sinking feeling when you actually cut off the top and lift it off. Everybody gets to that point but the feeling passes as you move ahead. And what's the worst that could happen? Roadsters are cool.:eek::D

Don

If you tape it off like this you can visualize somewhat how your chop will look.

dodgechopbeforechop.jpg

No turning back now. Notice how the section that will be removed from the windshield post is about an inch less than the back section? That is because as you lay the post back it uses up some of the height and if you cut it the same you would have to add metal back in.

dodgechopaftertopremoved.jpg

Continued..........

You may have to make little relief cuts at various places to let the metal move and meet up.

dodgechopwindshieldpiecut.jpg

At some point you may feel you are in over your head......

dans49chopstarted029.jpg

But it's just metal and if you take your time it will go back together.

dans49fittingnewdoor004.jpg

Have fun!! :D

Don

Watch out for the lead filler in the a post. IT does not weld and is nasty stuff. I laid the shield down on mine but for my first cut it was a b!!ch. The mail slot wasnt bad at all. Grind where you are going to cut before you cut it makes it easier to weld when clean metal. I left the door on just make sure you dont cut to much off top of door or you will be adding a lil piece in like me. Overall its not that bad. Take your time and walk away when you get flustered. Work will show later.

Don says it all!
"Finally, you will get this scared, sinking feeling when you actually cut off the top and lift it off. Everybody gets to that point but the feeling passes as you move ahead. And what's the worst that could happen? Roadsters are cool."
I remember that feeling well!:eek: Just remember--Anything can be repaired.
The relief cuts are very important too. My windshield posts didn't line up at all,I thought...I'm screwed now!. But a couple of cuts and everything worked out. Just take your time and measure,measure, and more measurements. You don't have to do it all in one day, sit back and look at it, even walk away some times. I personally like the mailslot windows. That to me says "CHOPPED". Good luck with your project. I'm sure everyone on here will help any way they can........CR:D

Latest posts

Back