YES! It is a sickness

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoddingRon

A man in his natural habitat....a Studebaker
About a year ago I ended up with a 215 aluminum Buick V8 through a local auction, but what was supposed to be a complete motor didn't have a crank and several other parts that are important for making the thing work. I did end up with two sets of nailhead heads and some other goodies. When I posted about that I got that motor and that I needed parts, it stuck in the back of the mind of HOT40ROD, and over the winter he pointed me toward a local craigslist ad with another complete motor. I went to look at it and ended up buying that one, but it came with a set of aluminum Oldsmobile heads (same block just different heads)...no big deal since I got two sets of the Buick heads with the auction purchase (the nail head is just a cool looking head IMO).

Now I should have enough parts to make a good aluminum motor for that fenderless project that still hasn't been started....But wait....there's more!

The auction guy (I work with him) tells me that he finally got the call to finish clearing out the house that my original purchase came from, and there were more motor parts there. He told me where to go to see what parts were going to be auctioned off the following night, and if anything was of interest to let him know and he'd bid on it for me. Well, guess where the crank and some of the other parts from the original auction were sitting....yup, the up coming auction.....And there was another complete short block too. Note the paper underneath the one exahust manifold in the first pic....that's the crank I needed with the original motor

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

So I tell the guy that I want the parts....all of the parts and if he gets them cheap enough and if he can get the short block cheap enough I'll take that too.

Welllll...........now I have to start sorting all the good from the bad...

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

So now I have three motors and almost enough parts for all of them......oh....these are in addition to the 1964 327 I just pulled out of my Studebaker to put the tuned port set up in and I sure can't forget that really nice 454 that JFG455 is putting together for me (top secret engine build in the engines section)

It's a sickness I tell ya! I sure hope I never find the cure:D

Nice move RR. Although he's never had one, my dad has said for many years that he wants to use one of those aluminum 215 engines in something.

Nice! I have started labeling stuff when I turned 35. it is nice to find something tagged with the year and stuff on it. Your motor is all but done. and just for the record I am only keeping 1 454, 1 396, 2 6.0L LQ4's, 1 LM7 5.3L, 1 cad 501, and 1 LS1 alum 5.7! [cl
After I pick up the car from you that will make project #6 after the 69 Chevelle, 35 ford PU, another 35 ford PU (that will be a RPU), 50 GMC, the datsun and the new Buell chopper project. [;)

Glad to see it all coming together.

back when I was the Fire Official for the Borough of Emmaus Rodale Press bought the proprety in the back of Emmuas that had a small junk yard and they were cleaning it out to make the park/walking trail.

The one day I had to walk the property with the lady from DEP to see if there were any issues. As we were walking I came across a Buick special with an aluminum nailhead in it. When I seen it I wanted so I talk to the them about buying it. But they told me everything was sold to the crusher and I would have to talk to him. I tried to talk to him but his attitute was he was crushing everything. . To this day I wish I would have bought that motor.

GM sold their alum motor to several Brit companies & they used them for decades. Rovers & Triumphs were a couple.

Beercan

A friend of mine has a right hand drive MGB-GT V8 that he imported from England and has the 215 in it. The only strange looking part is the redesigned manifold with SU (or Zenith) carb sitting on it.

Nice move RR. Although he's never had one, my dad has said for many years that he wants to use one of those aluminum 215 engines in something.

They produced them for years in the UK under the Rover name. I had one in my Morris Eight hot rod I built about 8 years ago. They are/were cheap as chips in the UK, but tuning them costs a fair bit of cabbage.

LasttimeIsawit.jpg

Engineopen.jpg

Fullengineview.jpg

I had to run an electric water pump as the stock one is a big huge long thing, and the Morris is a tiny skinny little car.

Latest posts

Back