yes or no?????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yes or no on the full rebuild

• Total voters

Smokey

I have a confirmed 125,000 mile flathead in my 50 ford sedan, am I ok to de-sludge check the bearings and slap it back together or is a rebuild mandatory?

it doesn't make any bad noises( lifters, wrist pins etc) and it has good compression across the board 105 to 120psi, ford book says 100psi, im guessing theres some carbon build up.

so yes or no?????

Sometimes with these engines we cause more damage opening them up than if we left them alone. Not saying that will be the case here, but just something I have seen happen before. Even changing to a detergent oil can cause problems in these as the sludge starts coming loose and they also start burning oil.

But, to answer your question. If the engine has been running well and no odd noises, you can probably just clean it up, maybe change the oil pump, and button it back up. What oil have you been running in it? If you don't have a history on it, I would not change to high detergent oil for the reason above.

The final determiner though will be how you intend on using the car. Around town use is one thing, but long trips from home are another. You can probably clean it up as you described and it will last a long time around town, but you may not want to take it on long trips without a proper rebuild.

If carbon in the heads, valves is a concern, Mercury Marine sells a product called Power Tune. You bring the engine to a fast idle and spray the entire can down the carb, and let it sit with the mixture in there. We let them sit overnight at work, and the next morning when you start it up all this crud comes blowing out the exhaust. I use it on my T because it runs rich and carbon builds up.

Don

Don - on my '47 Ford I had a water injection system and the steam kept the valves and pistons very clean - I also used a water mist directly into the carb with engine running on some of my other engines to break up the carbon build up, worked pretty good. Just don't stand near the end of the pipes -

I think old bearings are not trustworthy. I think they were softer to start with, and I think time and acidity in the oil and heat cycling change them for the worse.

I also dislike antique rings--time and wear and heat makes them weak and less 'springy'. I've torn down smokers that had good looking rings, but you could feel the weakness in them with your fingers...

Do a simple rebuild even with sorta loose pistons etc. If Its a low compression driver--loose is fine--run for years..-- tank the block after a light hone (avoid reboaring--fresh cast iron is soft) do a bearing, ring, replacement--new oil pump timing chain--hand lap the valves--. Then you can use modern oil--Delvac or something good..

IMHO.. :)

PA41

I have a similar engine sitting, until I can get the frame ready. I hope it runs OK, because that is how it will start.
I would clean the outside, rattle can it, and try it out.

I pulled the intake off earlier in the week just to have a peek there is tons O sludge in it, i think I'm going to partially tear it down inspect the bearings and go from there thanks for the input.

as for the useage on the motor, its going to be an around town cruiser may take a few reasonable trips in it but no coast to coast balls out runs

Latest posts

Back