Yes or No

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To trade or not

• Total voters

Davidhud29

So I know I should stay off Craigslist until the current project is done. But I didn't. I found this. http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/1766309223.html
I have a 96 Dodge ext. cab long bed, pretty rough, with 245,000 miles on her. Everything works on it. Needs new main bearings (low oil pressure). It's my daily driver. The 57 would be my new daily driver. I paid $1500 for the Dodge a little over a year ago. For the he*l of it I e-mailed the guy about a trade. He wants to see a pic. of what I got. I did tell him the general shape of my truck.
Any suggestions? All I know about the 57 is what is in the ad.

Depends,how well does it run and what are brakes and suspension like. Also the heating and defrost,dont know if you need that much where you live,but its important in a daily driver.I bought a 65 chevy truck that was all redone and like new,with disk brakes and so on, and was planning to use it as a daily driver,but after driving it to work a few times early in the mornings, I was glad I hadnt gotten rid of my new truck yet. One is used to all the newer stuff and that truck with all the odd controlls and the realy bad handling in its stock form was just not that cool. So make sure you take all that into consideration.

Like Reign said, make sure it has a title with correct VIN. Getting titles has become a nightmare. Lots of no title cars and bikes on craigslist with a silly note that says it's easy to get a title "if it's so easy why don't you have one?"
Nother tip off is the rock under the tire to keep it from rollin away??..:rolleyes:

Like Reign said, make sure it has a title with correct VIN. Getting titles has become a nightmare. Lots of no title cars and bikes on craigslist with a silly note that says it's easy to get a title "if it's so easy why don't you have one?"
Nother tip off is the rock under the tire to keep it from rollin away??..:rolleyes:

I noticed the rock as well. Yes, a clear title, and able to drive 15 or so miles daily are required.

When I first started reading your post I was saying not to trade because an old car daily driver can be a challenge, keeping it going every day. But when I read about the condition of the 96 Dodge you really aren't giving up too much. If you like the truck and he will do it I would say go for it if it looks solid in person.

Don

When I first started reading your post I was saying not to trade because an old car daily driver can be a challenge, keeping it going every day. But when I read about the condition of the 96 Dodge you really aren't giving up too much. If you like the truck and he will do it I would say go for it if it looks solid in person.

Don

and that right there is why i only stated what i did in my post. lol. the truck he has now doesnt seem to be a great truck other than the fact that it runs. (no offense meant)

Talked to the guy a little while ago. He has only had it 6 months or so. Has too many projects so he's letting it go. Smokes when first started, e-brake doesn't work (rock), has barely driven it. But he has driven it up and down the road some. Brakes work, just not e-brake apparently, forgot to get what motor is in it, oh and he said steering is loose. Sounds like an old truck to me. Supposed to give him a call tomorrow and take a look.
My Dodge is pretty rough. But it has A/C, cd player, etc. It does have a ton of miles and with 50 w oil I can at least prolong replacing the main bearings. Even with the heavy stuff, when I come off the interstate the oil light blinks til the oil thickens back up some. Those motors are real bad about engine sludge and I don't think the previous owner was very good about changing the oil. This is the second motor in it. It was replaced with a factory rebuild job at 110,000. He said the motor locked up cause the oil pump went out. I think it was from sludge build up and neglect.;)
When I got it I needed something that I could put the kids in (ext. cab) and work out of too. Since then though I almost never carry the kids in it. And I have a different job now so I don't use my personal vehicle for work. I still want a truck to use in case for work and around the house. If it did give out on me I could catch a ride with the wifey to work. It's pretty much on her way.
I know it will need some stuff. But I don't really have the time or money to put in it right now. Most of that goes to the Ranger build. (signature) But if I could do a trade and just drive it instead of the Dodge. Why not? A/C is nice but I don't drive it a lot anyway. A lot of times after work, the Dodge is so hot from sitting closed up, I just roll down the windows and I'm on the highway pretty quick and just ride home like that. Of course it has gotten hotter lately and I have been using the A/C more. :rolleyes:

I have a soft spot for 57 Ford pickups. My vote would be to get it. The loose steering is almost a given with the solid axle fronts. Also check the cab mounts/floorboards. They are prone to rustout even on otherwise solid trucks. The first give away is the door to fender gap. If the gap is wider at the bottom, the mounts are gone.
BTW the 57-60 Fords do have some of the best cabs you will find on old trucks, other than the rust issue on the mounts.
I have been looking for a decent affordable 57 for years.

If it runs decent enough to drive, trade. A 96 dodge..... low oil pressure and alot of miles. In newer truck years, :D they are about the same age. I got rid of a similar truck a 95 to keep a 66. I can work on the 66 and all those sensors and computers, well when they start giving you trouble you can spend that $1500 or more just to keep the newer one running. But hey I like old ****................ JMO............:D

dosent ev en say what, if anything is under the hood. Id keep what i have. if that isnt a runner, you can pick thise up for little of nothin at salvage yards all day long.

I have been all over states from Texas north and west and have seen very few 57s. The 1960 models are quite common and the same basic design but with a homely, pudgey front grill/hood. The 57 is the only one of the 57-60 models with single headlights and the cleanest styling of the 4 years. It would have came with a 223 six or a 292 Y block. Both are good engines. Or slide a 302/C4 in and have a nice dependable cruiser. BTW, you can buy a dropped front axle for it too.

Well I went and took a look yesterday. 292 Y block, runs good and drives. Little to no smoke, rebuilt carb, new front wheel cylinders, new wheels, descent tires. They look like white walls but they are actually fake. Never seen them myself, but they go on between the tire and rim to make any tire a WWW.
It has some minor elec. issues. Turn signals don't work, only one wiper arm, tail lights come on but not brake lights, supposedly there are 2 small wires that just need to be refastened. Windshield is cracked, there is some pretty good rust through, but the cab mounts are good, floor has sheet metal over the rust as does one of the steps, rust through in the bed by cab. Seat is in good shape, A ton of steering play. Definitely a ratty truck. Gears were grinding pulling down into first or reverse. Fluid was empty, filled it up and bled the line. Worked a little better. Maybe with some driving and more bleeding that would get better. Maybe not? Clutch seems ok just the synchro is goofed. I don't know how much trouble or expense is involved with that. I don't have the time or money to put into it right now. The hot rod still needs finished. But this would give me something to take to the local cruise in or car shows. Just until the hot rod is done. Then I could work some more on this, if I wanted to. Still haven't made up my mind yet. But I'm leaning toward trading.
15.jpg

14.jpg

13.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

Latest posts

Back