You can argue with a purist but you'll never win!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It just came to a head after living with him for the past few months. It was destined to happen. At 82 he's as stubborn as a mule and thats fine by me. I can't, nor do I want to change him.

T1

The truck blowout may just be an excuse for his real feelings. He's 82, your leaving, he had a purpose in his life again when someone needed him. I bet he doesn't want that to end, and doesn't know how to let you know. I'm no Dr. Phil, but.........

The truck blowout may just be an excuse for his real feelings. He's 82, your leaving, he had a purpose in his life again when someone needed him. I bet he doesn't want that to end, and doesn't know how to let you know.

I never thought of that. Very good possibility. You could be quite right Dr. Phil Sniper!

I think you have it pegged Sniper! Been thinking the same thing all day. He's been really supportive but deep down I think he dreads the fact that he's gonna be alone again and won't have anybody to look after. Makes me kind of sad but I can't let it get in the way of this opportunity. My kids are gonna need to step up some for him more too. Keeping up with regular visits and phone calls would do wonders for him. They kinda got away from that but they need to be reminded of the importance of it. My brother and I are bound and determined to get him relocated up there with us. I think he'd do it in a heart beat if we could help him do it. Who knows? that might could happen in a few months?

Sounds like you need to clock the old fart a good one. Just kidding. Tell him anyone can restore a car to the way they were all built, it takes a real man to hack one up and put it back together.
I find restored cars less and less interesting all the time. A resored tri-5 chevy is pretty much a yawn to me unless it was an old race car or something, same with first gen cameros and mustangs, booring.

:D LMAO!!! I'm with you on that Willowbilly! I also got burnt out years ago on all the same things. With me - It has to be something extremely rare or have a high performance racing past to get my real attention. Or it has to have at least 75% rust compared to paint. [dr

T1

Last edited:
Old dad sounds like a good guy at heart , we all like attention now and then. I wish my oldest daughter would call a little more, it always does me some good !

Absolutely, he is a great guy. You guys wouldn't believe all he's done for me over the past few months simply because he wanted to. I've asked him countless times not to put himself out but he just wants to be helpful and it keeps him feeling useful.

As much as It kills me to think about, I'm gonna leave my best friend - my sweet old dog with him when I leave. I think he would grieve himself sick if I took her with me now. He's gotten extremely attached to her and she loves him too. At least he'll have her for some companionship. I could take her but she'll be a great friend to him and that's more important than anything right now.

T1

ya only have one dad, and ya only get to do this one time. when things are good , make em better. when things are bad ,try to make em better. at 82 he s watch the world around him change like day light to dark. that in its self is scarry as hell. prob. alot more scared for you and generations to come than for himself. we ALL have our moments. and are human. we ALL screw up. neat thing in your case is cares enough about ya to say anything. 777s on you and your pop.

You only get one set of parents, take him as he is because at 82 he's probably not going to change. Dr Sniper is right on target with his diagnosis. Leaving your beloved dog with him is a great idea as he'll at least have someone to talk to and be able to remember your stay with him. You're doing the right thing Pat...You're a good person!..[cl...CR

Thanks CR! Nice of you to say that. After everything I've gone through one thing I can truly sympathize with is his lonelyness. Thanks for caring enough to voice your input everybody. Something else I realize now too is this. At 82 he's earned the right to his voice his opinions without being argued with. The best thing to do from now on is respect him for who he is and what he believes and leave it at that.

T1

Thanks CR! Nice of you to say that. After everything I've gone through one thing I can truly sympathize with is his lonelyness. Thanks for caring enough to voice your input everybody. Something else I realize now too is this. At 82 he's earned the right to his voice his opinions without being argued with. The best thing to do from now on is respect him for who he is and what he believes and leave it at that.

Yeah... you never know how long u're parents will be with you so enjoy them every single day. My Dad died @ 67... 18 years ago & I miss him every day & wish I could just pick up the phone & talk. We were great pals but like all parents & children... we had our differences! Just be glad he's still around!!!

BoB

just reminds me

I know the feeling. I had a small go around with my dad. He is very supportive of what I do but doesn't understand why I am building the 48 chevy the way I am. He tried to tell me keep it original but I can't do that. I want something I will enjoy driving. It will look relatively stock but the brakes and drivetrain will be updated. He has also been the type of person that thinks he never has time to do this stuff so he would just buy a completed truck. On the other hand, my father in law fuels my rat ideas and and has a carryover 54 f100. That was an arguement since I keep calling it a 54 when its a 55. I just wish we could all get along or at least the purist could understand why we build what we do.

just saw this, and T-1 i know what ya mean about perspective and understanding, since my dad was a hotrodder, you'd think he would understand--but not always!!

anyway as far as the not "getting it", we all will be in their boat when we see our kids building cars "their way", which if we're honest w/ourself, will not be the way we'd build either.....
so the old expression "what comes around, goes around" def. applies to the automotive customizers/builders!

My dad is always trying to tell me what to do. Hot rods, religion, family, work, money, hair cut, side burns. Doesn't matter, he thinks he's right, I'm wrong. I try hard to get along with him. He can be hard to get along with. Not just me, he's that way with everyone. I don't think he means to be most of the time. He has depression problems and stays to himself a lot. I try to cheer him up and involve him with stuff sometimes but he just acts like he doesn't care. Unless it's something he is into at the time. I usually just let him talk, see if I can learn anything from what he says and then go about my business. If I agree, ok, if not, just leave it alone. I prefer to listen to advice from successful people so I can be successful. He is not very successful.

Latest posts

Back