YoungBlood's Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungBlood

I got my frame into the shop over the weekend and got it propped up on stands.

Now, hear me out, I am using a (FREE) 77 Chevy 1 ton 4x4 frame. I chopped the front off of it, turned it around, then flipped it over. So now, its upside down, and the back of the modified frame is the front, and the front is now the back.

Crazy enough?

I decided if I was going to use this as a platform, that would be the best utilization of it. It gives a 5" z in the rear, but it drops 3" in the front, which I hope wont mess with the ride height too much. Of course I want it low, so if I have to ditch this frame and start over with 2x3 tubing, so be it.

Your guys' thoughts? I don't know if anyone has tried to pull off something like what I am trying to do.

Attachments

• Rat Truck 2.jpg
    Rat Truck 2.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Rat Truck 3.jpg
    Rat Truck 3.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Rat Truck 4.jpg
    Rat Truck 4.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Rat Truck 5.jpg
    Rat Truck 5.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Rat Truck 6.jpg
    Rat Truck 6.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 67
Another concern is the frame is 34" wide. It may look really goofy with my grill.

Another pic below is sort of the 'goal look' of my truck, and after seeing this one I am considering not chopping it.

Also, I want a pin up girl on the bed. I wanted theme of 'Barely Legal 37' as, in truth, the truck will be barely legal. So I figure I will use this pic and paint it on the bed. This pic might fit the theme very well (I think its Jenny McCarthy or someone).

Attachments

• Rat Truck 1.jpg
    Rat Truck 1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 45
  • Goal Rat Truck Look.jpg
    Goal Rat Truck Look.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Rat Truck 11.jpg
    Rat Truck 11.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 69
It is hard to tell what I think about the upside down and backward frame, because I can't quite see what you are seeing in the advantages. There probably are some, but I am too dense to see it. I think it is great you have a plan, and a target, so you are off on the right track. I see the girl picture, have studied it, and understand it well.

ha ha. Bonehead, I'm glad you approve of my pin up consideration.

After getting the frame in and semi-mocking it up, I shivered and started pricing out 2x3 tubing. $250 and I could have the frame I really want.

Cut it in half, flip what you are using for the front, upside down as to add some Z to the front, and weld it back together (make sure you keep everything square). Now trim off the bottom of the rails on the front section to a rough replication of a 32 rail's profile. Save the bottom lip you cut off so you can weld it back on after your sculpting job. Now ditch (remove) all the crossmembers and cut them down to the width you need after you pinch your rails to fit the project. You can get a close idea of the measurements for what you are doing online from Wesscotts. Alot of work for a frame, but it won't cost anything but your labor,works for me...:D

Looking at it on the floor of your shop it looks like a good start, Dawg is right, i was thinking the same thing. the best part of using that frame is tellng a up tight, store bought, trialer queen how you built the frame Hell you lost me in the first sentence, its cool take lots of picks.

Pablo

Thanks Pablo, I am going to give your guy's advice a shot. Taking pics do help, as I confused myself writing that paragraph:D

Bonehead, are those homemade wishbones and rods on that sick-ass truck of yours?

I just wanted to throw this out there to you YoungBlood. Sometimes by the time you finish heavily modifying a frame, in the end you find out that it would have been cheaper, easier, and more pleasing to the eye, if you just would have built one from scratch with your specs in mind. I'm not saying that is the case with what you are doinng, I'm just tossing it out to you because that is exactly what happened to me a while back.

It looks like you have a good start and plan. I'm looking forward to the updates.

Oh, and heres a low 37 Ford for ya. It's chopped though. I'm just posting it for ya to look at. I've always liked it.

Thanks Gastrick, I definitely appreciate the words of wisdom. I am only giving the current frame a weekend worth of effort (that should be enough time to determine, as I am tired of screwing around). I am a novice welder, so my Hotshot Welder Uncle (supposedly) is gonna give me a hand.

I'm still ready to buy a truck load or 2x3 if necessary. And thanks for the pin-up link. I'm going to give it a look-see.

Another concern is the frame is 34" wide. It may look really goofy with my grill.

Another pic below is sort of the 'goal look' of my truck, and after seeing this one I am considering not chopping it.

Also, I want a pin up girl on the bed. I wanted theme of 'Barely Legal 37' as, in truth, the truck will be barely legal. So I figure I will use this pic and paint it on the bed. This pic might fit the theme very well (I think its Jenny McCarthy or someone).
Do you have any more pic;s of that truck???

I can't really see what you are doing either but I like the spirit of using things at hand. I think you need to pinch it up front to more of the 30ish width dismensions.
Also on that truck picture posted one over from the girl, well I think that truck just looks all wrong. Even though the radiator had migrated foreward in the later 30s, fenderless rods with the radiator way ahead of the tires like that just look weird. In fact it is almost a sure sign the thing is resting on a modern car/pickup frame and has some ugly-assed A frame front suspension. That's just my honest opinion.

Use some quarter eliptical springs on the front with that (chevy?) axel. You can cut something down that you already have. Use the dimensions for width of a deuce ladder, and the grille shell will work out perfectly. Slam it like that canadian truck, and chop the tor 3 and 5. Check out that mail slot, totally bitchen...

I can't really see what you are doing either but I like the spirit of using things at hand. I think you need to pinch it up front to more of the 30ish width dismensions.
Also on that truck picture posted one over from the girl, well I think that truck just looks all wrong. Even though the radiator had migrated foreward in the later 30s, fenderless rods with the radiator way ahead of the tires like that just look weird. In fact it is almost a sure sign the thing is resting on a modern car/pickup frame and has some ugly-assed A frame front suspension. That's just my honest opinion.

Willowbilly, you're likely correct about the truck being on a modern frame, I can't really find any other info on it to confirm or deny.

The difference between the truck in the pic below and what I am doing is that I am going suicide straight axle, but keeping it tight up to the front of the chassis. The radiator will be behind the tires, or just at the back of them.

What I like about that truck though, is that it has a snub appearance. Shorty bed with no chop, and low. I'm not crazy about the radiator location, or the weird frame underneath, but the overall stubby look is a bit appealing. Plus, not many rat trucks without a chop have caught my eye besides this one. I kinda like it, what can I say...

I put a lot of thought into it last night and decided that chopping my cab is a must, with a short, low, compact look, and a suicide I beam. The pic that Gastrick put up yesterday of that chopped 37 rung it in for me, and I love that look.

Attachments

• Goal Rat Truck Look.jpg
    Goal Rat Truck Look.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 22
YoungBlood, Here's a couple of more trucks with your body style for reference.

This first one is heavily chopped but has a longer wheelbase than what you wanted.

This second truck (owned Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top) has a shorter wheelbase and is chopped, but not as much.

Latest posts

Back