Your opinions needed on my build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayzx6

I like things simple. Has worked well for me in life. You can't get more simple than a speedster. I was thinking of taking a model a cowl and adding bomber seats to a custom frame and making my own rat rod speedster. No doors, no rear quarters, no fenders no hood. No banger here, I was thinking sbc. I also have a pickup bed that I can shorten and add to this thing. Also, no wood at all, everything steel or aluminum. I live in Arizona so not too worried about the weather, always sunny. In fact better to be in the open then in a closed car with no ac. Here is crude drawing of what I was thinking. What do you guys think? Any pictures of something someone else has done. I thought I would ask you guys since you are so supportive of people's ideas, unlike those guys on the other site.

spdster.jpg

alot of speedsters ran a trunk behind the seats , I wonder if you could recess the seats back into the bed somehow

Gonna have one myself someday, for the same reasons you mentioned. My suggestion is to start with the wheels first. Picked up that idea from another board and after considering it a while it really does make sense.The wheels are the prime basic part of any car and the type and style set the tone for the whole build. How many speedster pix do you want J? :)

post-1-41486-DSC03639.jpg

This thing will also be low to the ground unlike tradional speedsters. The thing about the seats being in the bed might be a little difficult for me to pull off.

I love speedsters like you have described. The only thing I question though is what it would be like to drive in traffic with no body around you, just a bomber seat cradling you in. One of the Poorboys, Myron Jr., was driving a model a speedster and had a fatal accident when a girl ran into the back of it. I don't know how much more protection a typical T body would give, but at least it gives you something to lean against and prop your arm up on.

Just wondering.

Don

I helped a friend some on his A speedster. It utrned out awesome. He used a 40s Chevy pickup hood as the top of a boat tail and just wrapped sheet metal around the bottom and up to the cowl with dips at the sides and some split tubing over it between the boat tail and the cowl. Real simple and looks good. Inside the boat tail is a gas tank from a FarmAll tractor and a lot of storage. He did spend some time building a juiced up A banger on his. Personally I think this type of car should have (not a V8).

I love speedsters like you have described. The only thing I question though is what it would be like to drive in traffic with no body around you, just a bomber seat cradling you in. One of the Poorboys, Myron Jr., was driving a model a speedster and had a fatal accident when a girl ran into the back of it. I don't know how much more protection a typical T body would give, but at least it gives you something to lean against and prop your arm up on.

Just wondering.

Don

Not too worried about being in the open. I have been riding bikes all my life. As you mention, a fiberglass T will not offer more protection.

Gonna have one myself someday, for the same reasons you mentioned. My suggestion is to start with the wheels first. Picked up that idea from another board and after considering it a while it really does make sense.The wheels are the prime basic part of any car and the type and style set the tone for the whole build. How many speedster pix do you want J? :)

post-1-41486-DSC03639.jpg

Can you post more pictures of this type of Speedster? Need ideas for my build.

Rod and Custom Magazine started one a long time ago - Project Low-bucks. they got a Model A chassis and cowl and were planning on building a classic speedster with the tank behind the seats and spoke wheels. I've been thinking about building one for a long time but haven't done anything about it. If you want it really low, build an underslung frame and it'll still be traditional.
Chris

Not too worried about being in the open. I have been riding bikes all my life. As you mention, a fiberglass T will not offer more protection.

Yeah, I guess. It just doesn't seem to me that riding along in traffic with only those little bomber seats to hold you in place would be very safe. If someone tapped you there wouldn't be much to keep you from bouncing out.

I do like the look of them though, but with the crazy drivers on the roads today, some of whom feel it is necessary to text while driving, I don't even feel safe in my Crown Vic any more.

Don

Latest posts

Back