Z frame with Hairpins

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Rookie

Ok, so I have taken a lot of you advise, bought the suggested books and read the threads. Here is my question: I am using a 1930 Chevrolet frame with a 1970 Ford nine inch, I would like to use rear hairpins with the 9. I read the thread where you’all were talking about how the longer the radius rod the better, any suggestions on how long of arms to use with my frame? Can I “mock up” the frame now before I buy the rods? I already learned to have the tire size from one of the threads, but how much of a gap should I have between the Z and the top of the 9? The only thing I have done so far is cut the rear of the frame off about 12in from the rear of the cab, leaving the cross member intact. I would like to finish the rear Z frame before I buy the Hairpins/Ladders, I will be using 2x4 steel. Suggestions?

Post pictures of your build. Would make it easier to answer questions if we could see what you are doing. Good luck with your build.

That looks fine. I would put a stiffener in those radius rods. We have seen quite a few of those bend. Some so bad it pulled the slip yoke out of the tranny.

I already learned to have the tire size from one of the threads, but how much of a gap should I have between the Z and the top of the 9?

All you really need is clearance for travel. Travel will basically depend on spring rate, but 3 or 4 inches should be enough. Unless you are going to run a super soft spring rate or have an extremely heavy car for some odd reason.

Latest posts

Back