ZDDP

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cycledog

A really rusty biker
I haven't seen much if anything on this subject. Seems that the EPA forced the oil companies to remove ZDDP: Zinc dialkyl dithio phosphate from motor oil because it shortens the life of cats (not the amimal or tractor.)

It seems thats ok if you have a roller cam. But in older engines the lack of the additive can and will shorten the life of the engine by not providing proper lubricity to the area between the lifter and the cam. I have started adding the additive every time I change oil.

I was wondering if any one knows much about this or is the additive just another snake oil, so to speak.

Cycledog, I work for a local Caterpillar dealer, from what I understand and have been told it is an emulsive additive, the reason it was removed is because with the new emissions sytems, it contibutes to the accumulation of ash in the DPF (diesel particulate filter) or converters in cars, it does not effect the lubricity or protection level of the oil, the only affect we have seen is that it allows for moisture to collect in the cooler areas of the motor, (valve covers, fumes disposal filters and tubes) and only affects engines with high idle times at cold ambient temperatures, the new oils also have ultra low sulfer content (also the new diesel fuels) the reason is the same, the more sulfer the more ash generated in the DPF,or converter, the faster it fills and the sooner it will need to be serviced.

I don't know if there are any good additives you can put in your oil to improve it, just buy good quality oil and change it a regular interval, but of course you already know that!! if the additive makes you feel better than use it!

sorry not much help

Search for LN Engineering,they have an oil blog
and have done some serious oil research.

GM EOS is one good source for Zinc.

Latest posts

Back