Zerk fitting size?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorhead

Does anybody know what size zerk fittings I need for my front axle? It's out of a 1955 Ford F100. I bought an assortment kit, but nothing in it seems to fit my axle.

Thanks a lot in advance! :)

The ones that came off my axle had a nut on the bottom, so they're not pressed in.

I bought this assortment zerk fitting package that has two different threads: 1/8"x28 NPT and 1/4-28" TPI. Neither thread fits. McMaster has every zerk fitting size known to man available, but I need to know what size they are first before I can order.

Thanks guys! :)

I'm going through the same thing. We did some brake work on my Son Dons T and one of the zerks was boogered up, so I tried to replace it with every one in my kit, all were too big by about one size.

I plan to just hit the auto parts store and take one of the too big ones along and see if they carry something smaller. Otherwise I have to call Speedway as it is their 49-54 Chevy type spindles on the car.

Don

What size hole was left when you removed the old ones?

About 1/4". The 1/4"-28 TPI kind of fits, but not quite, you know?!?

I'm going through the same thing. We did some brake work on my Son Dons T and one of the zerks was boogered up, so I tried to replace it with every one in my kit, all were too big by about one size.

I plan to just hit the auto parts store and take one of the too big ones along and see if they carry something smaller. Otherwise I have to call Speedway as it is their 49-54 Chevy type spindles on the car.

Don

I called Speedway and they didn't know. I also called the disc brake kit manufacturer (since they say in the manual to replace the zerks) and they didn't know either. :(

Speedway should be able to tell us who they are getting their spindles from. I'll try Monday and see if I can call the mfr. I needed some light bulbs for the Model A brake lights I got from Speedway, and they didn't carry them, but they gave me the phone number of the mfr, who I called and got the bulbs from. Should be able to do the same here. I'll post back.

Don

There are two types of 1/4 - 28 zert fittings. One is straight thread and the other is taper thread.

The spindles should take the 1/4 - 28 taper thread fitting.

About 1/4". The 1/4"-28 TPI kind of fits, but not quite,:(
Truth be told your going to have to re-tap the zerks. If you say it looks like a 1/4 npt thread than just run a 3/16 bit first. See how the hole looks.Clean your good to go. Use a 1/4 28 tap {yes a regular 1/4 28}.

Run it threw about a a 3rd of the way. Then slowly thread the new zerk in.

Eddie, it's 1/4-28 TPI, not NPT. I think I'll try a trapered zerk before retapping it. I'd hade to take the whole thing apart.

Thanks guys! :)

Latest posts

Back