Selling stuff on CL... scammers!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
I posted a pair of fiberglass '40 Ford front fenders on Craig's List and said I never check my e-mail and to call me. Scammers typically won't call. I posted I will not ship & they were for local pickup only. Anyway... I get a text message almost immediately from someone saying they want the fenders & would send a "Certified" Cashier's Check and after that cleared the next day at my bank they would have a freight carrier come pick up the fenders immediately. OH YEAH... I'M STUPID!!! I texted back... CASH ONLY! Ummmm... never heard back... yet! That's one of the oldest in the book!!! [ddd:eek::eek:[ddd

BoB

Attachments

• scammers.jpg
    scammers.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 25
I recently bought a storage unit and came into about 8 bicycles......high end bicycles, one retails for about a $ 1000.00. :eek: Anyway, I have been selling them on CL and for the most part it has been going ok because evidently the people know the brands and are looking for those. But, I did get a few flakes and even though I put in my ad "Phone calls only, no email or texts because I delete them for fear of viruses.", I still got a bunch of emails and texts. :confused: Don't people read the whole ad or do they think I am still going to open their emails?

I also learned a very valuable lesson, the first person there with the cash gets it, regardless of when you called. I held a bike for a man because "he had to have it for his GF" but when they came the next day they were the pickiest people I ever met. He was complaining because there was some grease on the sprokets and there were a couple of nicks in the paint. I passed up 2 other people who wanted to come right away and buy it because I was being a nice guy and promised to hold it for the first guy. From now on, no more MR NICE GUY ! :mad:

Don

CL is a different animal than what we used to use, thats for sure..I too have learned you can't hold anything for anybody,first with cash owns it, period..

Tripper, if you could send me your information, I'd be happy to forward payment in gold coin. :D

goldcoins.jpg

It's amazing what people will try to pull. Sadly, they are successful in many cases so this BS isn't going to dry up anytime soon. Just like telemarketing, they try and try until they hook a fish.

Wasn't it posted here where some poor trusting soul let his Mopar musclecar go on a "certified check"? Sure he was naive, and some would say stupid, (myself included) but in reality he's the innocent victim's poster child.

"Caveat emptor" and "caveat vinditor". Words to live by unfortunately.

Last edited:
Well, I was joking about asking what year, but I just realized you were in Cali... DOH! :eek: Guess I just proved people don't read! :eek:

... more than I was looking to spend anyhow.

I have had that same Email sent to me from CL. Emailed back "cash only" and the next thing I know I'm getting loaded up with spam. I post call only, besides I'm in the phone book and I'm like the US Gov I have notting to hide.

Here in Orlando there used to be a lot of 1st gen Camaros on CL trying to sell them for around $4-5,000.00. The pictures showed a beautiful car and the description was the usual "just recently gone through, new paint, interior, motor etc." They never posted a number, just an email address. I'd ask for a phone number but never got one. I would email them and say I had cash in hand, where was the car I will pick it up today. They would reply that is was in another state and that I needed to send payment and then they would have it delivered. LOL, yeah right, I'll get right on that. I knew it was a scam but I liked screwing with them. Haven't seen any of those ads in Orlando CL for a while now ;)

I've had the same crap on the clist selling, a lot of scammers, I just respond with I deal in cash money, you bring cash, I give you t he item, if not, no deals. I usually don't hear back from them...

Just like anything else, craigslist is a double edged sword....

Latest posts

Back