Electricity explained

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toms26t

I think its time for me to explain about 220 current and why it is so different from 110 volt service. First of all, it's twice as big.
Secondly, it'll shock you more. Outside of that, 220 is really two 110 volt lines coming to your house from different parts of the globe.
The up and down 110 comes from the northern hemisphere, and the down and up version comes from below the equator.
Without trying to get technical, it all boils down to the direction water flows when it goes down the drain. In the top of the earth, it goes clockwise, while on the bottom of the earth it goes counter clockwise. Since most electricity is made from hydro dams, the clockwise flow gives you an up and down sine wave, while the counterclockwise version gives you a down and up sine wave. Between the two, you have 220 volts, while either individual side only gives you 110 volts.
This is partiularly important to know when buying power tools- which side of the globe did they come from? If you get an Australian saw, for instance, it will turn backwards if connected to a US generated 110 volt source. Sure, you can buy backwards blades for it, but that is an unnecessary burden. Other appliances, like toasters cannot be converted from Australian electricity to American electricity, without horrible results. I knew one person who bought an Australian toaster by mistake and it froze the slices of bread she put in it.
If you wire your shop with 220 and accidentally get two US-generated 110 volt lines run in by accident, you can get 220 by using a trick I learned from an old electrician. Just put each source into its own fuse box and then turn one of the boxes upside down. That'll invert one of the two up and down sine waves to down and up, giving you 220. DO NOT just turn the box sideways, since that'll give you 165 volts and you'll be limited to just using Candian tools with it.
Clean up the questions
That said, there appears to still be some questions that need to be cleared up. Allow me, please.
First off, the foreign voltage from the southern hemisphere has been successfully duplicated in the USA. Back during the French and China war in the late 1800's, finding freighters to ship in the needed electricity was hard to do. So, our forefathers,went to task and managed to duplicate the foreign supply by runing romex backwards. Usually when romex is run, its pulled from the center of the package out, which generally spins the romex clockwise. Simply by flipping the package over and pulling the romex from the other end, it spins it counterclockwise, which duplicates the foreign electricity. As far as 440 goes,
a standard duplex outlet is split, and both halves are wired for 220. You get 440 easily by plugging a double ended cord into the two. simple math. lower voltages like 14.4, 18, etc... are gotten by turning down the electrical current to the outlet. this is done at the fuse panel. simply unscrew the fuse a little ways until the electrical current is at the desired voltage. Newer breaker boxes dont have this feature, so you have to resort to using a charger, which is basically a sillcock adjusted to the proper flow and sealed in a plastic box to keep joe consumer from messing with it.
Odd voltage readings and wild legs are all caused by the ground wire. ground wires are actually filled with microscopic particles of silica, which is just dirt from silicon valley, hence the name "ground". In a basic deseign flaw, most ground wires are wrapped with perforated sheathing. In the case where you get a small leak in one of the hot wires, the leking electricity soaks into the ground wire, making it hot. the size of the leak determines the amount of voltage on the ground wire, that accounts for the odd voltage readings. And, with a hot ground, it becomes the third leg, often called "wild leg" because of the problems regulating the voltage. More on ground wires... some electricians simply cut the wire at the box or crimp it over instead of sealing it to the ground screw. this results in all the dirt leaking out, giving you the open ground readings I observe so frequently when doing home inspections.
One sure fire way to avoid being electrocuted is to remember to let go of the wire. sadly, this is easier said than done.
It's important to remember when working with electricity that once the power is shut off, you should take the time to drain the lines of remaining electricity. plug in a drill or other power tool and pull the trigger. it doesn't take much, but it works. most people who get bit when working with a dead circuit didn't prperly drain the lines first.
And, as far as your toilet running backwards... when you flush and a turd slops out, its a sign that your water flow has been reversed and needs to be reset. to do this, take a plunger and push all the water in the bowl out the hole in the bottom. now, refill the bowl by flushing with your LEFT hand. this is the way american toilets are designed to be flushed. Reaching behind you and flushing with the right hand is generaly what reverses the water flow in the first place. Hopefully, this clears up all the confusion. Now, ask me something I don't know.

Well after all thats been said, nobody really said what lectricty was. It is really smoke. Once you let the smoke out of the wires, it don't work no more!!

Since electricty has been explained I thought I would an my comments on 'light bulbs'
For years, it has been believed that electric bulbs emit light, but recent information has proved otherwise. Electric bulbs don't emit light; they suck dark. Thus, we call these bulbs Dark Suckers.
The Dark Sucker Theory and the existence of dark suckers prove that dark has mass and is heavier than light.
First, the basis of the Dark Sucker Theory is that electric bulbs suck dark. For example, take the Dark Sucker in the room you are in. There is much less dark right next to it than there is elsewhere. The larger the Dark Sucker, the greater its capacity to suck dark. Dark Suckers in the parking lot have a much greater capacity to suck dark than the ones in this room.
So with all things, Dark Suckers don't last forever. Once they are full of dark, they can no longer suck - just like a vacuum cleaner does if you forget to change the bag. This is proven by the dark spot on a full Dark Sucker. Then the Dark Sucker quits working
A candle is a primitive Dark Sucker. A new candle has a white wick. You can see that after the first use, the wick turns black, representing all the dark that has been sucked into it. If you put a pencil next to the wick of an operating candle, it will turn black. This is because it got in the way of the dark flowing into the candle. One of the disadvantages of these primitive Dark Suckers is their limited range.
There are also portable Dark Suckers. In these, the bulbs can't handle all the dark by themselves and must be aided by a Dark Storage Unit. When the Dark Storage Unit is full, it must be either emptied or replaced before the portable Dark Sucker can operate again.
Dark has mass. When dark goes into a Dark Sucker, friction from the mass generates heat. Thus, it is not wise to touch an operating Dark Sucker. Candles present a special problem as the mass must travel into a solid wick instead of through clear glass. This generates a great amount of heat and therefore it's not wise to touch an operating candle.
Also, dark is heavier than light. If you were to swim just below the surface of the lake, you would see a lot of light. If you were to slowly swim deeper and deeper, you would notice it getting darker and darker. When you get really deep, you would be in total darkness. This is because the heavier dark sinks to the bottom of the lake and the lighter light floats at the top. The is why it is called light.
Finally, we must prove that dark is faster than light. If you were to stand in a lit room in front of a closed, dark closet, and slowly opened the closet door, you would see the light slowly enter the closet. But since dark is so fast, you would not be able to see the dark leave the closet.
So next time you see an electric bulb, remember: It's really a Dark Sucker!

This is probably one of the most informative documents I have ever read. Really sums everything up nicely.

Now I know to get the 440 I need for my new press, I just need 2 double headed extension cords and plug four outlets together.

THANKS!! [cl

I knew all that, but can you explain 3 phase? What is all this about wiring a motor backwards and then it becomes a generator? Please great electrical wizard tell us more..... [P

I live in the Philippines, ex USAF housing, so I have both 220 and 110 coming into every socket in the house, dual voltage side by side. [cl

The 110 is imported from the USA, the 220 from Australia....[ddd

Now I can run my power tools at half speed, double speed, normal speed or even backwards and forwards. [dr

Latest posts

Back