Offenhauser Wannabe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA41

Got a Toyota 5MGE 4.8 liter twin overhead cam 6 from my junk a few weeks back, for a winter project.

I believe its has its roots in Offenhauser, Packard, RR, and Jaguar, with Japanese quality and engineering, and I think it's 'pretty'.

Set in my hobby junk yard about 15 years back after I got it from a friend when it had a wiring fire.

Turned it on its side and unbolted everything and stripped it out in 3-4 hours pleasant work. There's something real 'zen' about tearing cars apart. It's really calming, and you get parts for almost nothing.

Have the motor on an engine stand and did a 'seafoam soak' followed with a marvel Mystery cleanse to the rings--soaking as I type.

Plans are to add carburetor (autolite 2 bbl on fabbed intake) and standard Vac advance Distributor .

Just goofing around.

Attachments

• sidecar.jpg
    sidecar.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 14
  • intake3.jpg
    intake3.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 17
I worked in a Toyota dealership in the early 80's. I remember how powerful (for their time) Supras and Cressidas with that engine were. One of the mechanics had one and he'd advanced the intake cam one tooth and put a resistor in the coolant temp sensor to trick the computer into running a tad richer. It idled kind of rough but it must have added 50 hp, it was very fast.

Disassembling and reassembling engines are Zen for me.

Walking through a junk yard is second best

You are a fortunate fella.

I worked in a Toyota dealership in the early 80's. I remember how powerful (for their time) Supras and Cressidas with that engine were. One of the mechanics had one and he'd advanced the intake cam one tooth and put a resistor in the coolant temp sensor to trick the computer into running a tad richer. It idled kind of rough but it must have added 50 hp, it was very fast.
Tanks for the response, real experience is valuable and rare with these. I've removed the EFI on this one as the wiring was destroyed by a fire, and from sitting in the woods for 15 years, and being critter chew toys. I've used the EFI throttle body lower to be the base of a carburetor manifold I built in this picture, and I am working on changing the cam belt now, and am tempted to try your intake cam advance, as the 2 bbl auto lite carb might be pretty big for this application. Plan to put it on an engine run stand first, to make sure it's still good where it should be easy to change things if there is a problem.. Just tinkering.

Attachments

• mani1.jpg
    mani1.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 0
Disassembling and reassembling engines are Zen for me.

Walking through a junk yard is second best

You are a fortunate fella.
Thanks for the response Bob. Yes I am a fortunate fellow with my own personal little junkyard. I pick through it regularly and the wife calls it PaulMart.. I often find 'forgotten treasures' like this T cowl and this tractor grill that I'd put in an old truck cab. Machinery tinkering IS peaceful. The world changes so fast, Few things seem to make sense anymore, but junk cars are always junk cars..

Attachments

• coulgrill.jpg
    coulgrill.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 0
I've prettymuch got the intake fabbed (cobbled) up out of tubing and flat iron. I've been drilling and torching holes in flat iron, but took this as another 'reason' AKA excuse to get more tools--er toys. Got a set of carbide teeth hole saws offa amazon, and to my suprize they worked great!! Ran them slow--200--and lotsa cutting oil. Fresh drill press with sticky belts helped..

Attachments

• Epoxyintk1.jpg
    Epoxyintk1.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 0
  • vackman1.jpg
    vackman1.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 0
  • cutincurls.jpg
    cutincurls.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts