Ranger or S10 Chassis

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgbrktracer

OK Guys, got almost all parts gathered to build Rat Rod. Have a choice to make and need help. Building a fenderless Rat a 1952 F5 Ford cab with Chev engine, trans, and rear end. Have a 1989 S10 lwb chassis that had planned to use. Have been offered a 1988 LWB 2wd Ranger rolling chassis for FREE. Give me your opinions
please. :confused:

Plan to Drag Race this truck and not sure if I want to run a suicide front end 130-140 MPH. That's why originally planned to use S10 chassis.

Hmmmmm, This has a suicide front end and I bet this does 140 mph.

mopp_1001_04_mopar_superchargersbig_daddy_dragster.jpg

i would use s10

g-body a-arms upers- lowers == some drop spindles- lowering springs some lowering blocks in rear the s10 stuff is out there if you watch you can get a deal the ranger dont no anything about them

I agree its looks trick if you get the proportions right, and don't make it look like you settled.

Aren't the Rangers twin-beam style? Those don't lower well. ....unless maybe you stuck it out front suicide style.

Aren't the Rangers twin-beam style? Those don't lower well. ....unless maybe you stuck it out front suicide style.

Yes they were until 1998 when they went to a arms.

One problem that you can run into lowering the Twin- beams axles is that the camber can change and be a real pain to play with.

Yes they were until 1998 when they went to a arms.

One problem that you can run into lowering the Twin- beams axles is that the camber can change and be a real pain to play with.

You'd have to lower the pivots also. That's why I suggested suicide style - it would need to be in front of the frame to work. Then spring configuration - transverse leaf? Coil-overs might be the easiest. Would hairpins bind? Maybe 4-link? Not usre how bad the steering linkage looks... maybe rack and pinion?

Yeah, I've been thinking about using my F150 IFS for something, just because I can (then I'll decide if I should have.:p)

Anyone have any good pics of a open wheel truck with a s10 frame under it . Only reason I ask is my neighbor is getting ready to build a 40 ford truck . This is all new to him but he wants to learn , at the same time not get over is head that he dosent know what to do for the first build . I know a guy with a s10 chassis for sale that he was gonna build a 51 chevy on . Thought it would be easier for him to go that route

The s10 IFS is a cluttered sight compared to a straight axle. Generally they are looked down upon because of the ugly. Also, unless you move the motor back or the suspension forward, it looks front heavy. If you don't mind all that, use the s10.

Latest posts

Back