Ratty 46 Ford Cpe. redo......

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys.

My original thought was to utilize round tube but I figured the "C" channel would look more "stock" looking while providing a wider, almost 6 inches, of plate area to set trans mount, front 4 link mount, driveshaft hoop mount & possibly an addt'l strenght member mount to the frame. I know an X would be stronger but you play with what you have!!

I had not seen the article but I've always been told like minds, good or bad, think alike!!

I also scored a Currie built 9" third member with 4:11 gears & detriot locker for CHEAP - $350.00!!

I also recieved my secret hood orny from the talented RRR member "Bonehead" - I don't want to show it yet but I might after it's mounted on the hood. He did a FANTASTIC job!! Thanks Jeff.

Ratty 46

Last edited:
just had a chance to run thru all these posts-man what an awesome car to start with!!love the patina! if ya get a chance check out my 46 truck (i noticed you had one at one time) looks like you work around some amazing stuff and have to say that caddy is super cool keep up the good work and of course posting pics:cool:

HRP

Thanks Preacher.....I also did check the truck out - kewl! I had one in HS. I loved it & will always remember that ride.

UPDATE: I had some new "C" channel rails bent up at a cost of $150.00 - not bad - from the metal shop I use to work at. They have a 100TON pressbrake so it was a naterial to contact them. I'll pick them up later this week & probably fit them next week.

After that..... it's guns a blazn' ........ for the building.

More pix soon.

Ratty 46

Paul, having those C channels bent up was a smart way to go, they will be to the exact dimensions you need and not look cobbled in place, like they would have maybe from using off the shelf stuff. We are lucky enough to have a really good steel supplier here and they have every big cutter and metal press known to man. We have had stuff bent up to our specs and it makes it so nice to work with.

Post up some pictures when you get more done. BTW, are you and your Wife going to Daytona?

Don

Howdy Don,

Still planning........ but with a small child we always have to see.

Paul

Well....... it's not a rod yet...... but was bought out in Belleville, Ks. 66935 - not sure if thats close or not.

Ratty 46

I sold a very nicely rodded 62 for UNI truck along with a 66 chev II pro street car to "fund" the construction build on the 46. I dug those lines since Fat Jack Robinson's (1985) showed up on the cover of HRM. I also had a 46 P/U in HS - oh so long ago!!

I've also NOT seen one the way I'm doing mine. That alone makes it "SPECIAL".

Thanks.

Ratty 46

I've not been to B & N in a week or two - I will make an effort......now.

Thanks.

Ratty 46

Just a bit of an update .......

I did get my wheels in - a set of 5 ....... 2 7X15 & 3 8X15 1972 Pantera factory ford wheels. They are magnesium & are very light. I was originally going to utilize a set of American racing salt flat specials BUT the cost was not agreeable with my wheel budjet.

I've also got my new replacement framerales formed & water cut (for the floor) and will install them soon.

panterawheels2.jpg

The only issue I have now - as I've found out - is 15" tires are not as plentiful as one would think.

I'm in search of BFG Comp radials in 245/50/15 & 275/50/15 .........

Ratty 46

Latest posts

Back