Small Block Chevy Timing

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

35Mastr

Mastr Blastr
I am running one of the older style sbc in my car.Everyone tells me that I should be around 38 degrees total timing.Now this total should be with vac advance hooked up and checked at 3000 RPM.I have heard so many different ways to do this that I am totally confused with this.Just a crate stock motor with MSD ready to run Dizzy,Eldebrock 650 Carb and no MSD Box.

I read the link it has some good info.But thats not quite what I was looking for.I just need to know a basic procedure to get close to 38 degrees total timing.

Lite!

I read the link it has some good info.But thats not quite what I was looking for.I just need to know a basic procedure to get close to 38 degrees total timing.

Did instructions comee with the crate motor. Mine did and I use a timing light that lets you dial it in.

Rattler

I am by far no professional here, but if you can't get total advance at 3 grand rpm using the method of rotating the dist than you have to find the advance curve that is preset into the MSD and change that to get it. Initial adv plus set advance gives you total adv. MSD dist installation instructions usually give this if not go to www.msdignition.com and click on support, you will find intallation ins to your MSD there

I've never done an MSD but the proceedure should be the same and you really need a dialback light. Mine is an old snap-off and has a tack too. Mark the 0 mark on the damper, then set the dialback to 38 and run the engine up to 3 grand and see where you are at.Set it to the 0 mark.
Theoretically all the advance should be in by then. You can use a vacuum pump on vac advance to see where it comes in and how much. I use old motors manuals to find these specs. Also run it up without the vac hose on and see how much mechanical advance you have and when it comes in so you can dial in springs, weights ect.

Latest posts

Back