WTH?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Billy Houston, you still have a problem.

What happens when you disconnect the battery while the engine is running? What voltage is the ALT putting out? Is it hooked correctly? Disconnect the ALT and run the engine on battery, do the lights still not work?

My suspicion right now is you are getting positive leakage to the body from the ALT. Does the power wire from the ALT feel hot after running?

Time to become good friends with that multimeter.

LED lights and digital need full 12v to operate, unlike a regular bulb that will just glow a little more dim, solid state stuff is go/no-go. So either full 12v is not getting to where you need it, or there is low voltage leaking to the ground side. Maybe not enough to notice on old bulbs and equipment, but enough for the solid state stuff to say no-go.

No matter what, you need to get this straightened out, it may cause premature failure of components.

Last edited:
Disconnected the alt, no change. Wire not hot. Ammeter never shows discharge no matter what. :confused:
The problem with the turn signals happened after i put in a new led flasher. It worked fine i thought, the flasher was clicking but i realized the lights weren't blinking when i was driving. I wondered why i was having trouble changing lanes. :rolleyes: Now it is back with a regular flasher and a regular bulb wired in for resistance the way i had it before the new flasher. I'm going to move on to overhauling the front windows. They will remain manual not electric!
Thanks for your help Sam.

Latest posts

Back