Kinmont Brakes...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

22dodge

The other Dodge brother
Currious about how Kinmont brakes work.
They are very high priced, a set on eBay is at $8,800.00 with out meeting the reserve..
Item #140213764050 is the auction number if you are interested.
My question is I don't see where the friction material (pad or shoe) or surface (disk or drum surface) is on these. In person, I could figure it out, but the photos lack something ( besides my understanding :p ).
Can anyone explain the workings of these "pricey artifacts" from our hot rod past :confused:
The chrome ones are the current auction, the others from a prior auction.

Thanks in advance.. '22

Attachments

• 1b5b_3.jpg
    1b5b_3.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 1e59_3.jpg
    1e59_3.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 1f9e_3.jpg
    1f9e_3.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 22
  • e8d7_3.jpg
    e8d7_3.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 26
  • e796_3.jpg
    e796_3.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 23
22, read this article. It should clear things up a bit. You can see the "disk ring" surface pretty well in picture number 2 on the first page of the article.

Last edited:
Thanks Gastrick...

Thanks, Gastrick. That really helped, a very good article with good photos.
The history and applications of the brakes is also very interesting. '22

If you'd ever seen Cat steering clutches apart, or many wheel tractor brakes, you'd see how they work. I think the idea came from army tank brakes.

I know the Kinmonts are a rare and exotic system to have on your rod, but I personally like the looks of the Buick drums better.

brakes

My sources say, That anyone who would pay $8,000 for a set of brakes is on crack. Just another telltale that e-bay ruins what would otherwise be good junk. LOL

I know the Kinmonts are a rare and exotic system to have on your rod, but I personally like the looks of the Buick drums better.
I agree Gastrick. Buick fins look much better.
I don't see how anyone could buy and install these on anything that would be a driver.
Period correct museum piece, OK.
That I might understand, however I doubt they would have been chromed back then.

My sources say, That anyone who would pay $8,000 for a set of brakes is on crack. Just another telltale that e-bay ruins what would otherwise be good junk. LOL

And anyone who would spend over $11,000.00 (still hasn't met the reserve), or think they are worth that much, has been on crack too long. :rolleyes:

Curious what they will go for now... :eek: '22

If they sell, they will go for over 15k. Crazy I know, but that's what people are spending on them! Ardun heads go for crazy money as well. A 32' winter front grill just sold for 7k on Ebay. Crazy!

Yeah, certain '32 hood side panels with a particular vent pattern and also E and J lights bring stupid money too.

We were watching Unique Whips the other night (only watch it when nothing else is on :p) and they went to some football players house to see his collection of cars. In his house he had 56 flatscreen TV's! :eek: So I guess some people just have more money than they know what to do with. Same goes for these car parts we are discussing here.

Don

And I'm using a tape measure that is so worn out I can't read the numbers! That's why everything I build is crooked.

Latest posts

Back