Time for another build, 1947 cadillac

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drptop70ss

Hi guys! Been awhile since the Buick was finished, have been having a great time driving it and taking it to shows, so far has been a reliable get in and drive it car. Build thread is here

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19174

But now its time for another one, a 1947 cadillac model 61 fastback. Left for dead who knows when, it was dragged out of a storage trailer by the people I bought it from. Plans are to make another daily drivable car, this time with fuel injection and the usual PS, PB, tilt wheel, overdrive, etc. A/C is planned but not immediately, same with paint. I plan on painting this one eventually so plans are to build it with the idea of not having to tear the whole car apart when paint time comes. But that can be done anytime, so might as well enjoy the originality for awhile! Nothing against chops or shaving but I love old cars for their style, so no chopping or trim removal will be done on this one.

Here are pics when it was removed from its storage trailer.

001.jpg

Passenger side rear fender stove in pretty good!

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

trunk nailed hard as well

006.jpg

More to come, car should of been out last summer but I slacked off, so it will be out this spring.

This thing should be quite the tank!

When I got it home

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

013.jpg

Trunk pan was pretty good other than the spare tire well

017.jpg

This guy didnt make it!

020.jpg

Tear down starts

021.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

030.jpg

Big caddy flathead turned out to be stuck, someone wanted it more than me so it was sold with the transmission. It made 150HP and we will just about double that so the car should cruise the highway nicely.

033.jpg

Preparing for the front end clip, last build I did a complete frame swap thinking it would save time, but that just wasnt true. This car has a saveable floor and solid trunk pan so decision was made to keep the frame and clip the front end.
I used a front end from an 87 monte carlo SS I parted out so I got the good F41 steering box and big sway bar. Track was perfect, just had to get it mounted.

Lining up a fender to check if the clip would even work, front steering can be a challenge depending on how much room there is up front.

034.jpg

036.jpg

It will work!

037.jpg

Thats all for now, will get more up tomorrow. The garage will be a mess in a lot of pics, once I get on a roll things fly all over until the end of the day, so cut me some slack :) I love reading build threads so hope this inspires someone to get cutting and welding!

Glad to hear you're not chopping, channeling, ripping and only stuffing [cl
Some old cars need to be left to their original designers idea :cool:
The front steer stubs, sometimes, interfere with the core support is about all [P

Nice boat! 3" Chop would look real good.... :D

I wound up using a 66 Mustang radiator - it was about the only thing I could find to fit upright between the rails (but then, I slammed mine.)

Does that have coils or leafs in the rear?

LOL I dont know about thumbs up but plenty of stares in disbelief!

Cadillac has rear leaf springs. May go with a 4 link and bags in the future but for now I am keeping the leafs with some lowering blocks.

As for a radiator I have had good luck with the cheapo aluminum units I find online for sale, the one in the Buick has been flawless and the electric fan only comes on if I sit in traffic for awhile. Like the buick this car needs a radiator that is taller than it is wider so not many "modern" style radiators would work, I would have to check the mustang radiator measurements to know if it would work or not. I think the original was around 20" wide by 27" tall.

Radiator - I had to fit it next to the p/s box because of the slammed thing - you might be able to get something bigger in there. I haven't had a problem in 90 degrees running a 350.

Keep posting pics! My Olds had trailing arms hooked to the X frame and a panhard with coils - I figured the Caddy was the same. Guess not.

Now that is a car that would actually look good with reworked wheel openings and 20's

Not quite done yet, shooting for March to hit the road, but the way time flies April 1st may be more realistic. No way will it be later than that!

Chassis setup was all over the place for GM during this time. I have a 41 buick with the same body style, has a closed rear and coil springs with long lower control arms for a rear suspension. The caddy had an open rear with leafs AND a panhard bar. No expected on a leaf spring setup but for some reason they used it. I am going to remove it, it is a pretty thin one and I dont see the need.

More pictures!

Body was leveled front to back and side to side to prepare for the front clip install.

041.jpg

bye bye king pins, knee shocks, and sloppy steering

042.jpg

043.jpg

clip trimming and tacking. Front shocks were removed and I used threaded rod to compress the front springs, lower control arms set level to simulate the fully loaded suspension. Should be close to there when the car is complete and settled, maybe slightly higher but not lower. I have 2" drop spindles if needed. Front fender was used to help set the overall height, clip can be Z'd as needed but this turned out pretty dead on. This was my first clip install so I had an experienced friend there to help, turns out just like anything it was just measure 10 times before welding. Street rods are new to me, I am used to building musclecars!

044.jpg

045.jpg

046.jpg

Fully welded in

068.jpg

Last edited:
With the clip installed it was time to pull the body off, so more tear down.

096.jpg

Cool dual underseat heaters, luxury for 1947!

097.jpg

original dash, still unsure of what guages I will be using. I am not going to change the basic design but may be putting modern gauges in the old housings.

099.jpg

Time to fly!

104.jpg

Chassis out and free. Car has a super solid frame, lots of small rocks and dirt jammed in the rails but no rot at all, only mild surface rust.

105.jpg

Latest posts

Back