Time for another build, 1947 cadillac

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys! Clip fit nice, turned out to be a good match and the car should ride and handle decent for a big boat. I will get some more pics up tomorrow, a lot of small stuff I didnt document with pics since I was just cranking out the work and forgot about the camera.

More pictures..

Body off

106.jpg

Original rear suspension. Never saw a panhard bar used with leafs before but this car had one.

108.jpg

Rear suspension out. Plan is to rebuild the leafs, convert to tube shocks, and lose the panhard bar.

113.jpg

Engine mock up. Engine is a 1995 LT1 with a 4L60E trans from a police car. Engine turned out to be a newer long block replacment and the trans is rebuilt as well. This was the first set in for building mounts and setting up the location.

119.jpg

Plan is to eventually run A/C, so had to check for compressor fitment. No cheap solutions for changing the LT1 accessory drive so notched the frame for the factory B body location.

120.jpg

122.jpg

138.jpg

Running A/C delete for now

125.jpg

Engine mounts built. I use a solid mount on the drivers side, rubber mount on the passenger side and trans. Keeps things solid without undue vibration and no broken mounts.

134.jpg

135.jpg

136.jpg

Another update until I get caught up

chassis getting stripped down

140.jpg

onto the rotisserie

144.jpg

146.jpg

Rear suspension mock up. After some research I found the 65-72 impala rear was the same width as the 47 cadillac so I picked up one to use. Made my own lowering blocks by welding 2x2 square tube to the 2" saddles for the rear mounting. They are not welded to the rear yet, have to set the pinion angle once the car is assembled and at ride height.
Also modded the leaf spring mounts for strength and lower shock mounts, made upper shock mounts. Forgot to take pics of this stuff but can get them later if anyone wants to see how they were made. Leafs were taken apart and rebuilt with new bushings and slider material between the main leafs.

150.jpg

Engine taken down, cleaned, resealed, painted. I always install a new water pump with my LT1 swaps. Opti is GM vented style, they have been very reliable for me.

160.jpg

Mounted to the chassis. Factory caddy trans crossmember was in the perfect position, didnt even have to move it.

162.jpg

On to the body!

165.jpg

Plan was to use a 95 caprice wagon gas tank, side fill with all the fuel injection pump inside as factory. Cheap and it works. During mockup I knew it would take the whole underside of the trunk to install

137.jpg

Sooo out with the spare tire well!

166.jpg

167.jpg

I dont buy new flat sheet metal unless I have to, so what looks like the back of an S10 cab is a perfect donor for a patch. No need to spend cash for no reason!

168.jpg

169.jpg

Thanks! lot of work sanding and grinding all the rust off to do the paint but worth it in the end.

It is moving along pretty good, most of the work started in the spring of last year, so will be done this spring. If I didnt have to work for a living I could work faster, time to start playing the lottery!

Car was not terrible but had some rust in the front floors, sills, and rockers, normal spots. I took some pics but a lot of work during this build was done quick without stopping for pics.

Front drivers floor repair

181.jpg

184.jpg

rear driver side

183.jpg

185.jpg

186.jpg

After all the rust repairs were done the underside got scrubbed and primed

197.jpg

sprayed with UPOL bed liner, good stuff, went on easy with minimal overspray.

199.jpg

firewall work, had to fill the unneeded holes

200.jpg

202.jpg

then plated the indentation so I could mount a brake booster

203.jpg

primed and painted.

206.jpg

207.jpg

Thanks, yes that UPOL is nice stuff, I wont ever paint the underside or undercoat the underside of a car again, this stuff just works too nice to not use. Nobody will see it but it should last a long time.

I cant decide what wheels to run on the car. So far I have the full wheel sombreros, small 47 cadillac poverty caps, and a set of wire wheels as well. Also have the usual torque thrust Ds but I dont think they fit the style of the car.

163-1.jpg

ff_zpsaccf3a72.jpg

0012_zpsb2fdbbf1.jpg

Last edited:
I agree, original plan was to go with the full covers. I need to make some wide whites to go with them, blackwall doesnt look as good. I want to try the grinder on some narrow white walls but am concerned on how it really looks, I have seen it done on youtube but it is hard to tell if it looks ok or like crap.

Latest posts

Back