46ish ford f3

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantwell.colton

Rat Rod Philosopher
0_0-2.jpg

0_0-1.jpg

0_0.jpg

decided on a 6 in front 5.5 or 5 in the back... time to start removing stuff and bracing it up i guess.

thought i'd be the first to tell ya, that truck is "unique":D:D
it appears to be a 48-50 cab (48 was first year ford used F-series designation)
pretty sure 48 was the 1st yr for 8 lug wheels on the heavy duty trucks-one of my 46 parts trucks had a big pattern 5 lug(i mean WAY big)

however the front clip is 46-47ish

curious-what's your plans for it besides the top-chop?

are you planning on using any of the fender stuff or grille?;)

well thanks guys -- interesting information -- as far as using the grill and fenders -- i dont know yet ... i know i want it chopped -- ive been waiting a long time to do this and im stoked and terrified all at the same time -- ive been taking you guys advice and just sitting and looking and thinking and the chop is all i am certain about -- got everything out of it today though that i planned on taking out -- the gas tank actually had enough crud in the bottom to move and make noise when i was taking it out - does anyone have a thread about making a keg into a gas tank?

chopping

about half way through it i think then i ran out of wire so i called it a night : /
start again tomorrow first thing if the weather permits...

0_0-12.jpg

0_0-13.jpg

0_0-14.jpg

0_0-15.jpg

glass question--

ill probably use real glass for the windshield
--
but lexan for the sides and back -- or something similar
--
question is
how the heck would i measure or set up a template for my door glass?

Chop

Looks like you got a great start there. If this is going to be your first chop, I would do the top first and get that lined up before you do your doors. Its way easier to fix the doors than the top. Also you may want to run to Harbor Freight to pick up some metal clamps before you make a total mess of you sheet metal, you can check my build I have plenty of pics of them. Remember its not a race, slow down and really think things out before you cut and start welding your project, it will turn out tons better. There have been alot of what I call latest and greatest builds on here that start off strong and never get finished due to lack of planning. Good luck with your build.

Curt

I posted on one of the sites about building a tank out of a keg. It was about a year ago. I will see if I can find it. And now that I got my scanner working I should be able to past pictures of it also.

Here are two of the posts that I posted on kegs. I will try to post pictures later. The first one was for my 51 Ford pickup and the second one was for my 40 Ford Pickup.

If your looking for a fill tube with cap used the fill tube from a 1964 ford pickup The tube with fit into the hole were the cork was. works great. as for a fuel line i drilled out the tap side of the kag and used a steel line from there to the bottom of the kag. then I took the tap connection and run a line from that out of copper. I do not have any pictures of it. I did this about 10 yaers ago. I had it in the bed of a 1951 Ford pickup. I got a lot of comments on it.

I did this before but I can not find the thread. if you have and older style kag with the wood plug in the side. The fill neck from and early 60's ford truck will fit into the opening. It is the neck that steps down. all I do is PC7 it into the kag were the wooden plug was. For the line I drill the bong where the beer line attaches and run a line through the hole (PC7 it in) and bend it to the bottom of the kag. (you can put a screen on the end from and early mustang line.) Some times I will coil the line were it comes out of the kag. If you use copper you can polish it. For the mounts I will make a wooden craddel similar to the ones they use to hold the wooden wine barrels. I will set the kag in the craddel and made 2 medal straps that hold the kag in the graddel. It drill the strap and use screws that are for the iron hinges that you can buy from a hardware store it gives it and older look. I always make sure I run a filter before the fuel pump. If the kag is higher then the carb. it is a good idea to put a shutoff valve in the line. I like to mount the valve on the frame were it is easy to get to. I use rubber between the kag and the wood. I also make sure I ground the kag.

I think it looks good...

it was my first -- and i definately have a new respect for all of you --
i absolutely love doing this though and you guys have been the only
reason ive made it this far ...

everytime i get discouraged i start browsing on here and find a solution
and/or become re inspired.

sun roof hard top thing help

ive been thinking it would be nice to have a piece in the middle of the roof to be able to take out and put back but i need you guys to throw some ideas -- my original thoughts were

cut a rectangle the size i want the hole to be out of some sheet metal
and make a frame for it to fit inside of the cab out of some small 90 degree
pieces ...
weld small bolts to the the rectangle's bottom side and drill
corresponding holes in the frame
then measure up and weld the frame to the cab roof from the inside of the cab
go to the outside and cut the inside of the frame out ...
put that adhesive weather stripping for doors on the frame rails
--
bolts fit in the hole and tighten wing nuts from the inside?
voila? will that work or am i missing / overlooking something

I was thinking about making a removable "sun roof" myself... i dont think it will be to difficult, Like your plan, I will make an inner and outer structure... weld it to the roof and the cut the sheet metal....

I started to do that to mine. It is Escape hatch. The truck is being built to race.

Its hard to see in this picture. I will have to take some picture of the opening.

I am going to build a metal frame for around the opening and hinge the panel in the front and latch it in the back. I was going to also make a frame for the panel and glue Rubber hose around the edge for a seal.

Attachments

• truck2.JPG
    truck2.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 34
well ive seen where folks have used snap buttons and fabric but i would like it to be a hard top... i guess worst case scenario is i give it a shot dont like it and have to cut out and replace metal.

Yes you have made some progress, I noticed in the pic of the front windshield area it looks as if the sheet meatal you welded dips down, If so glass will not fit properly. And the metal in the roof area looks way out of shape. Please STOP BEFORE YOU TOALLY DESTROY A GREAT CAB. You need to get some advice before continuing. :eek:

its does look like that in the picture and even after seeing the pictures i went out and looked..but the parts that look off arent up close -- the middle of the cab roof is only clamped on to a jack thing i mustered up just for support so the metals not hanging there. and the jack is a little low so the dead center of the cab is a little lower when im not working on it ... when i weld i have to shim to the right height .. it really is working itself out fine i think though ..believe me .. i am not afraid to ask for advice.

Latest posts

Back