Some updates for my 51 Mercury

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gastrick

One of the Dirty Dozen!
Just a refresher since there are lots of new members....Here's my 51 Mercury. It looks okay but really needs some love underneath it all. I sold my Anglia to a friend of mine who agreed to do some work on my Mercury as part of the cost of the Anglia. He was supposed to just upgrade my rear suspension with some shockwaves and a 4-link and such but has gone way beyond the call of duty and also did a bunch of sheetmetal work while he has it. I'm doing some minor stuff due to my time constraints right now but he is doing the bulk of it

Here it is in Daytona last November

And here she is now. The body is coming off and the chassis and will be powder coated black. All new suspension bushings, steering box, king pins and such in the front. Since my paint job is already ruined, I'll be making some minor exterior changes also but more on that later as I update the thread. The ole gal should be back on the road in about three weeks minus exterior paint.

Thanks CORPO. I don't know if I've mentioned this in the past, but this Mercury started it's life as a four door. I wish I had some "before" photos to show but they got lost. I don't mean or want to knock the original builder because I really like the car but it REALLY needed a cleanup underneath to be a nice car. Sadly, very little of these upgrades will be evident when the car goes back together...just piece of mind and a better ride.

You just can't leave anything alone, can you, Bill !!!!! :D When I read the first line where you said you traded the Anglia for some work I thought you were going to say you got burned in the deal (that seems to be what happens most times) but, WOW, your friend really is a friend. That workmanship is fantastic.

I loved your Merc before, but have to admit this new work will make it even better.

Don

OMG... beautiful work but when I read the 1st part of your post I figured you'd be doin' a lil here & there! Had no Idea you'd be rebuilding the whole rear part of the car! As always... your stuff ROCKS!!!

BoB

It has to be done, to keep pace with the Gastrick Coupe.[cl

Looks like very professional work.

great looking car gastrick....[cl'49-51 merc's have always been one I wanted. They just look so sweet chopped, dropped and shaved. If you ever find yourself wondering "who can I give this car to?" Keep me in mind!!!!:D:D

Thanks fellas, every since I was a wee lad I've wanted a 49-51 Mercury, it just never materialized until last year due to this, that, or the other thing. The timing and situation was never right. In the early 70's my dad used to take me and my brother to the yearly indoor car show (Cincinnati, Ohio) and my fav-o-rite car was always the "Green Flame" Mercury that seemed to be a featured car the on a yearly basis at that time. The car left a lasting impression on me even though I've always had hot rods through the years. I really don't think I'll ever get rid of this car. I'll just keep tweaking it here and there. Now I'm fortunate enough to have one of each, a rod and a custom.

Right now, the car is almost completely apart. I'll try to get some new photos next week and post them as the progress goes. There is a BUNCH of things that are being changed.

I'm not going to make this car anything like the "Green Flame" but that car caused the whole burned impression in my mind that has never left me.

There's lots of litle things that need attention on this car that isn't readily apparent...such as it has no hood latch, just a threaded rod and a big ole honkin wing nut holding the hood down.

I picked up a complete header panel and fashioned a cable release that keeps the cable under the panel instead of on top. A bit cleaner than the OEM setup but still not modern looking. The latch handle will be HIDDEN behind the grill. Also located a decent oem catch pin, spring, and cup. I feel like a restorer ha.

Backside

It's gonna get 53 Packard side trim...

And new Cadi Sombreros that I got for Christmas last year. Still need to finish making the adapters but almost done. I'll move my sketchy caps to th rear where they are covered with the skirts

Where did you find that chrome trim ? It's beautiful. Is it a spear that runs down the length of the body ?

You always did take any car you owned to the next level, so this one will end up being even better than it was before. :)

Don

Don, found the trim in some classifieds. I'm going to start the trim at the rear edge of the front fender opening and run it to the back edge of the door.

I went to my friends shop and roughed in some bodywork on the quarter panels.

The body is almost ready to come off.

Here is what I mean by "hidden work". The first photos are the old rockers and the last couple are the new rockers. Both inners and outers were fabricated and replaced.

Spray foam!?! OUCH!!!:( Just goes to show, sometimes "s**t can hide behind shinola.":(

Looks like your pal is doing some quality fab and repair work. That rear crossmember is one serious piece!:cool:

Packard trim is going to look beautiful on there. Are you repainting it black once it's all finished?

Keep up the good work, Bill!:cool:[;)[P

Regards,
Shea:)

I love this car, this is what I always pictured me and the family cruising in on the weekends. You and your friend have done some awesome work, y'all show lots of talent. I love how simple and smooth all of the repair is, it all appears stock.

That rear crossmember is one serious piece!:cool:

Packard trim is going to look beautiful on there. Are you repainting it black once it's all finished?

Regards,
Shea:)

Thanks fellas,

Yes I'm going to paint it black or something very close to it. The car looks black in photos now but it's really dark green. It seems like all my cars eventually end up black [S

Glad you noticed the rear crossmember Shea. It's really nice. Too bad it'll never be seen under there. The car sits really low in the back.

Latest posts

Back