Some updates for my 51 Mercury

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And new Cadi Sombreros that I got for Christmas last year. Still need to finish making the adapters but almost done. I'll move my sketchy caps to th rear where they are covered with the skirts

You must have been a very good boy if Santa brought you those for Christmas! Beautiful! :D

Toad

those floor tins give me the shivers! nice job as usual Gas! (even your buddies do nice work!)[cl

I probably should have put this in the projects section.

I went down and did some work on My Mercury today. It's pretty darn low with the lower quarters bolted on. The skirts that were on the car were fiberglass repops but it came with a really good pair of factory skirts that needed paint. Since the quarters are void of paint anyway, I put the factory skirts on and they look real nice.

I might have the quarters in primer by tomorrow night.

How did you guys get that heavy body off ?? :eek: That thing has to weigh a lot.

Amazing what you found under the rockers, but the new ones look really good.

Don

How did you guys get that heavy body off ?? :eek: That thing has to weigh a lot.

Amazing what you found under the rockers, but the new ones look really good.

Don

Don,
The body is still on the chassis there. It's bagged in the rear now and the bags(shockwaves) were deflated in those last couple of pics. :D. Engine is out. Body will come off soon.

While it's apart, I'm ditching the late model GM tilt column and installing an simple earlier Chevy truck column without tilt or ignition switch. I'll be utilizing the column shift on this one and eliminating the floor shifter that was in the car when I got it.

A little firewall surgery was required for the swap.

That column is much cleaner. I've always felt customs looked better with column shifts anyway.

Are you going to have it back running for TR or are you taking the 32 instead ?

Don

Gastrick....your just showing off now:D Man, that thing looks great!!![cl that is of course my dream car,sure there is others but the chopped '50-'51 merc is right at the top. I've got a show winning chopper for trade? how about an old tractor? My first born(he's house broke!)?

Are you going to have it back running for TR or are you taking the 32 instead ?
Don

It'll be back together for the TR, but it won't be painted...just primer. My kid will probably drive it up and I'll drive my coupe.

I've got a show winning chopper for trade? how about an old tractor? My first born(he's house broke!)?

House broke? That's pretty tempting.

It'll be back together for the TR, but it won't be painted...just primer. My kid will probably drive it up and I'll drive my coupe.

House broke? That's pretty tempting.

yep..took 19 years, he does eat alot however, but he's a computer wizard.

Thanks fellas, every since I was a wee lad I've wanted a 49-51 Mercury, it just never materialized until last year due to this, that, or the other thing. The timing and situation was never right. In the early 70's my dad used to take me and my brother to the yearly indoor car show (Cincinnati, Ohio) and my fav-o-rite car was always the "Green Flame" Mercury that seemed to be a featured car the on a yearly basis at that time. The car left a lasting impression on me even though I've always had hot rods through the years. I really don't think I'll ever get rid of this car. I'll just keep tweaking it here and there. Now I'm fortunate enough to have one of each, a rod and a custom.

Right now, the car is almost completely apart. I'll try to get some new photos next week and post them as the progress goes. There is a BUNCH of things that are being changed.

I'm not going to make this car anything like the "Green Flame" but that car caused the whole burned impression in my mind that has never left me.

Check out this newspaper article

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...FZOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_fgDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5910,3341923

Cool, thanks. Don Garlits owns that car now. It's in his museum...but it has been repainted maroon and white. I really liked it when it was candy green and purple when I was a kid.

Cool article from 1978 [cl[cl I've always loved that car. :cool:
This is a picture of a blurry picture so sorry for the quality but I once stood in the presence of the "Green Flame" :D

greenflameLarge.jpg

It was the last day of the 1978 Street Rod Nationals in Columbus, OH and my best friend and I were on our way out the gate and spotted the Merc firing up and pulling out. It made it about 50 feet and died, sounded like it ran out of gas. Some guy came over with a can of gas and poured some in the carb and it fired up enough to back it into a spot.......I snapped the pic as he was backing up, that's why the pic is blurry. :eek:

Saw another famous ride that weekend too. :cool:

kidLarge-2.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back