1946 (or so) Ford rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddpowers

Here is where i'm at as of now. The front axle is approx 63" wide, and the rear is approx. 59" wide.
I'm going to go get a 56 ford bed/rear axle this week I got for $50. I may use the 56 rear axle.

here's the bed I got over the week end. Got the bed part pulled off. the frame section looks in pretty good shape. I may use it for the back part.

Good score on the box. F-1 late 50 -52.
Are you going to run the rear fenders?
That frame could save you some time and money. Those F-1 frames are pretty stout.
Torchie.

I won't be running the fenders. I'm considering using back section. The pins in the springs and shakles are pretty rough. I'm not sure how I would get them out.

Thanks!

I won't be running the fenders. I'm considering using back section. The pins in the springs and shakles are pretty rough. I'm not sure how I would get them out.

Thanks!

Use a BFH and a blunt end punch [ddd Or find someone with a press.
I don't know where you are at but if those rear fenders are decent you can sell them for project money.
Torchie.

I'm Anderson, Indiana.
I will be selling those and a few other items to help fund it. Kinda still in the collecting parts phase, but hopefully soon i'll get to start building.

Cut those center pins with a grinder or torch and they will fall out.

I don't know if your interested or not but there's a show/drag race up at bunk hill speedway on aug. 4th. It's a pre 62 show, I think.

I'm trying to get my rat back together in time but I doubt I make it. I still have to make a trip out west and right now my frame is basically stripped to nothing. Not even paint lol

I got the rear section of the truck tore down. The frame rails are 2X6. Should I stay with 2x6 for the rest of the chassis, or maybe 2X4? What do you guys recomend?

2x6 is big for a rat unless your building it from a semi. Most guys use 3x2 rec. tube. You can use that section for the back, then use 3x2 for the rest. The 3x2 will be a lot better if you want a low ride height and a chopped cab. 3" Is a lot in a chopped and channeled cab. It'll look better out on the front end too. The back can be beefier looking and still be in proportion. But if you keep the 6x, your truck bed will be 3" higher.

Not a lot of progress,but I got the rear section of the fram brought into the shop and stripped of all the unimportant stuff. I hope to get the cab in the shop tomorrow.

I got the doors done this weekend. Mounted the hinges, and there was a hole cut in the door (for what ever reason) right where the hinge went. had to fill it be fore I was able to hang the door. got em both done and ready to start the chop maybe this weekend.

Latest posts

Back