1946 (or so) Ford rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the radius rods for the front axle. I have some 1/2 rod ends already. Will these be sufficient, or do I need to go to 5/8 or 3/4?

Ever thought of making it a flat bed?

No, but I'l listening... Any pics to be had?

Mine is kinda crude but I like it.........I built it as a temporary till I can build a metal bed with fenders but the more I look at it the less likely it is that I'll ever build the metal bed.

Your truck is looking good man! :cool:

[P[P[P

Thanks!

I'm with you snake farm, I think you should keep the stake bed. Looks good. I am gonna consider a flat bed, but I would have to have all steel. I already have the bed sides made (kinda) so I'll see how they turn out first.

Mean while, I got some of the floor and tunnel done today.

The knife is just temporary. I'm not sure I like it. [S

The hairpins sold by Speedway are threaded 5/8" NF on both ends.

Teach that helper well. We need future hot rodders.

Can someone give me an idea how to get these steering arm out? I had to cut the nut of, but can't get it out?

Last edited:
I have some steering arms like that somewhere lol. I think I got lucky with mine though cause I was able to remove the nut about halfway and beat it with a 3lb hammer. You could try soaking it in a penetrant for a while and every now and again go out and beat on it. Or, you could use a torch to try to heat it up but old metal tends to melt pretty easily. If you don't have the time to do all that, you could try using an air chisel with a punch tip and pound on it for a while.

I think I did air chisel mine as well... I had more issue with the kingpins however, they were really tough to get out, had to use a a-frame hydraulic press to push them out, and had to use heat as well...

Thanks endicott. I have them soaking now. I beat on them with a 2lb and a 10lb. Nothing yet. I will def have to do some thread repair now. :eek:
If none of that works, I'll get my buddy's torch.

I usually leave the nut on it, and use a brass hammer so the brass takes the deformation.
And with the nut on the end (the nut is replaceable) the threads get less deformation.

Good luck, its a time an patience consuming project...

I might be able to trade my 289 motor for a flathead 6. Both are in about the same running condition, and both have a trans included. I wanted a flat 6 to begin with, but after NOT finding one, I got this 289. Any opinions on the flathead 6's? Dont want to trade if they simply aren't any good. Anything I should be aware of before I trade?

Minimal power and harder to find parts for. There's a reason the guy wants to trade you. But, if that's what you want, get it.

Latest posts

Back