1927 Essex, throw it in the gutter and pass the butter!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky

Okay so if you saw my intro to the forum you saw my new project, well parts of it anyways.
Over the weekend a few friends and I crusied on up to Goldbar WA to pick up my project.

We got up to Goldbar pretty early in the morning after hauling a bunch of Cressidas the night before for various projects that are in the works. After we loaded everything up we made the trek from Goldbar to Tenino (roughly 120 miles) where I will be working on this project.

Need to say thanks to Roland G for the trailer usage. Also Gotta say thanks to the Kurtz plus with the Mattox modifier (Darren and Derek) and last but not least the Homeless Polish Tom. Without yall this weekend wouldnt have gone down so smoothly.

So with out futher adue, here is my 1927 Essex Motors Tudor Sedan.

So many damn parts. Filled the bed of the Dodge and the trailer.
mb0pia.jpg

Time to sell some fenders
23uctc8.jpg

Flat head six. Most likely not rebuildable, but will make a damn good display piece. Going to clean, paint, and reassemble and just use as a cool garage piece.
2afgy2o.jpg

xnuufd.jpg

here are a few pictures of the tub
40046_141844069178092_100000574993573_290888_8235945_n.jpg

40046_141844072511425_100000574993573_290889_6303711_n.jpg

40046_141844079178091_100000574993573_290891_574644_n.jpg

39875_141844589178040_100000574993573_290894_1056140_n.jpg

39875_141844592511373_100000574993573_290895_447109_n.jpg

39875_141844595844706_100000574993573_290896_287796_n.jpg

And one of my favorite parts of the car. The grill. Its an adjustable grill. You can adjust the air flow throught the radiator for either winter or summer.
40046_141844075844758_100000574993573_290890_6523641_n.jpg

So needless to say all of my projects have come to a sceeching halt. I now need to get a storage unit for my Cressida Drift/Daily project. Make sure my wheelin jeep is in good working order and not sink anymore money into lift and axle tihs and also make sure that my 510 is in good working order seeing as my Jeep and 510 will be sharing the Daily Driver duties now.

I will pretty much be living down in tenino on the weekends now. This project is priority 1 for me. This is my new money sucking hctib for now. To any girlfriends that pop up over the next year or so.....sorry but its the value menu for yall.

I'll keep everyone updated as things happen.

So this weekend was interesting to say the least. I went to Hotrod-a-rama on friday. Drank, ate looked at cars. Dropped of my friend and went back to hotrod-a-rama and drank some more. Then I lost my 510....dont worry I found it Sat morning.

Sat after I found Gumby (my 510) I crusied on down to Tenino where the Essex is being stored. So my friend Kevin (owns the shop I'm working at) and I had a little talk. We decided that we need to knock out this 1939 Nash project. Its been a royal pain in the ssa. This car has made me HATE working on round fendered cars. We have done everything the owner wants.....and well.......I dont even know what the hell to say. We have no clue what direction the car is going we just do the work. Heres a few pictures.
2u6e8lc.jpg

o78r29.jpg

These fenders are why I HATE round fendered cars now
2ef2tjb.jpg

So after we knocked out a bunch of body work we took a little break. I started playing with the essex.
2vlo6l1.jpg

So we popped the tub off of the frame and moved it inside
s4xs1f.jpg

Then the inevitable happened.......we turned into little effin kids. Nardi aint got **** on my wood wheel!
2w4a6tt.jpg

2r7woqr.jpg

So we got the tub out of the elements and into the shop then kicked around a few ideas. After looking at the roofline it has been decided there will be a 2 inch chop on the roof. We played with the windsheild visor a bit and figured out how we want that. We also figured out how we want to do the windsheild frame and glass which is something I'm very excited about.

After two days of hard work (and not on my car) we took out one of the many toys down at the shop and went for a drive.
A 1968 Kaiser Jeep......otherwise know as the Duece and a half.
23igsux.jpg

Side note: Sorry its a bit late for me so I pulled this build off of another forum and just posted. I'll fix everything when I'm not so tired.

nice find.

looks like a winner of a darn good start[cl

the 2'' chop should look good, l personally don't like the chopped so low ya can't see nothin' but the top of the inside of the roof. to me having no line of sight/good vision is just askin' for trouble.

power plans? custom chassis or ???, what tire & wheels? details please.

need to post more pics, not enough there to see what yer doin':D:eek:[dr

Later:cool:

Okay, sorry about not giving to much idea on the direction of the car it was a late in my shift and we were getting ready to shut down the CNC machines.

I have a complete SOLID frame that came with the car but we decided to not use it for this project. We are going to be building a custom frame that will be Z'ed front and rear. The body will be channeled over the frame just enough to sit flush with the bottem of the frame.

Originally the roof was going to be uncut but after getting it in the shop and standing next to it and just looking at the tub I decided that it needs two inches out of the roof. Dont really want to go anymore then that.

Ride height will be low. Max clearence I want would be 2.5 inches, I wont be using air bags for the first year just to see if I like driving it around that low all the time. If I dont like it then I'll throw bahs under it. Some ppl dont like the idea of bags at all but since its not their car I dont much care.

For now I'll be using a little 305 backed with a TH350 because thats what I have kicking around lol. My buddy will be doing the exhaust so whatever he comes up with I'll most likely like it.

Factory suicide doors will remain. Color is up in the air as are wheels and tires. I have a few I'm trying to decide on.

I dont want to give to much of what I'm doing away. I like to keep things kinda to myself. I'll snap more pictures when I get the chance.

going to be a cool ride for sure... keep us posted on your progress

Okay so things have been a little more then hectic around here as of late.

About all I've had time todo was brace up the body and get the floor cut out. Small parts have been trickling in here and there.

I saw a request for a picture of the 510 and the Cressida. I'll get pictures of the 510 up as soon as I can but the Cressida is in storage and waiting for me to get to it.

I hope to get back on track with the Essex as soon as possible. I'll get new pictures up ASAP.

Great find! A rare car for sure. I am working on a '29 rumble seat coupe. It came in two pieces, front and rear. NO floor and no roof. Mine has lost a lot of the bottom to the elements, so need to do a lot of repair work. I have a build thread on CHR if anyone is interested. Thanks for this build thread. Keep up the good work. Perley

I said pop!!! Not poop!

So there was a request for pictures of two other projects I have going right now. So here they are.

I got the Cressida from a close friend of mine.

So here is the 90 toyota Cressida (next to my daily jeep) that I'll be working on when the Essex is done. Right now it has a 1JZ (2.5 litre inline six twin turbo) making about 310-320 at the wheels. The motor will be coming out in the next few weeks and going into another Cressida.

I'll be putting in a Toyota 1U (4.0 litre V8) with a supercharger into it. It will be taking care of my Drift and Daily Driving chores.

2z9admo.jpg

2s84prl.jpg

Here is the Cressida being put to use by my good friend Darren. Fantastic driver.
205f6ee.jpg

Okay so there was also a request for pictures of my 510. I thought I had more but I was wrong.....or I just cant find them lol. It's an Ex-SCCA Rally car that I used to watch race when I was little back in the 80's.

It has a LZ24 (2.4 litre 4 cyl) backed with a 5spd trans. I love this car.

hwna6p.jpg

And this was my previous Datsun 510.
Great car to drive. It was a 1969 with a semi built L16 (1.6 litre) with rejetted motorcycle carbs. Was my DD.

2hydr0w.jpg

2mo41u8.jpg

Aaaaaand then one day I hit the brakes and nothing happened. No warning just straight to the floor.

20zda53.jpg

And I came out looking like this

fz7ukk.jpg

tahffr.jpg

29e6b61.jpg

Collapsed my nasal cavity, a partial collapse of my right cheek bone, a 3x3 hole in my skull right at my forhead. I have three Ti Plates, one in my forhead closing the hole and one on either side of my nose holding it in place and 28 gauge wire holding my nose together. FUN TIMES!!!

OKAY!!! Back on track.

HUGE swap meet this weekend, hoping to find more things for the essex!

nice! I have a datsun 610 I am putting a turbo LS1 into. it is in my sig. My parents had 2 toyota crowns back in the day a 67 wagon and a 68 sedan. I haven't really found another one here lately.

Holy Chrysler thats gonna leave a mark sparky
car didn't look that bad hope your back on your feet soon good luck with the Essex

Latest posts

Back