1929 Essex/Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know there are a few on here that say a Rat should never be trailered, but sometimes for practical reasons and the wife I'm going to have to. I built this trailer dual purpose to haul my 350 gallon water tank as I have to haul my own water and to haul the car. Got the ramps finished this weekend and took it for a test tow.

Good looking trailer, but I bet it was a bear to load up that high! Probably would have pulled even better with the truck facing forward so the engine weight was on the hitch instead of behind the trailer tires.

Thanks Bam, I had to build the trailer at that height to be able to get water into my house without a pump. I find a gully and back the trailer in and it loads and unloads easy. I also built it to balance with the car on backwards it tows very nice.

Here we go with weights an measures, again. (Thank our brilliant government, past and present.:mad:)

Metric nonsense aside, we use the British (Imperial) gallon, which is bigger than the US gallon @ 10lbs. (Our balls are bigger too... footballs, that is.)

CQLspUgUAAAplhW.jpg

I definitely can't gove you crap for trailering it. If these guys from more metropolitan areas knew how vast the northwestern united states is and canada, they'd probably trailer their rods at times. Montana for example, from one corner to the other(lets take Dillon, mt to westby, mt) is 633 miles or 9-1/2hours. And the roads are not easy roads to drive on. Mostly 2 lane highways and not to mention all the frost heaves from winter time.

Do you not have a well or city water Dozer? I figured you could put a well just about anywhere, just depends on how deep the water table is I guess. I can understand not having city water in a rural area, it was years before we got it and I live on a state highway.

Do you not have a well or city water Dozer? I figured you could put a well just about anywhere, just depends on how deep the water table is I guess. I can understand not having city water in a rural area, it was years before we got it and I live on a state highway.

The Ghost town I live in had 2100 people in the 1920's there are 18 of us now because the water is so bad. I have a well but the water comes out of it brown with coal tannins. I spent about $1000 a year to make it clear. Then the pump in the well crapped out and I decided to haul water from the closest big town 1700 people @ $2.00 for 350 gallons. We use that much every 7 to 10 days.

Now, see there, iffin ya had planned it right, that Essex woulda been a water truck and youda been a happy camper every time you made a trip.

Yeah, I can see why you have to haul water. Coal slurry ain't exactly what you want to drink, or wash in! :eek:

I used to work at a small wood yard that was built on on old coal rail loading ground. There was a shaft mine opening there they filled in when they turned it into a wood yard. There was a small stream that was said to come out of the old mine shaft, that was the coldest , clearest water I had seen come out of the ground. It tasted like it had been filtered through charcoal. That little stream was only about a foot wide and six inches deep and flowed year round.
The nearest neighbor to the yard had to put in city water, his well was like yours, full of coal slurry and sulfur. Less than a thousand foot away, but totally different.....

Now, see there, iffin ya had planned it right, that Essex woulda been a water truck and youda been a happy camper every time you made a trip.

Maybe the next one :rolleyes:

Yeah, I can see why you have to haul water. Coal slurry ain't exactly what you want to drink, or wash in! :eek:

I used to work at a small wood yard that was built on on old coal rail loading ground. There was a shaft mine opening there they filled in when they turned it into a wood yard. There was a small stream that was said to come out of the old mine shaft, that was the coldest , clearest water I had seen come out of the ground. It tasted like it had been filtered through charcoal. That little stream was only about a foot wide and six inches deep and flowed year round.
The nearest neighbor to the yard had to put in city water, his well was like yours, full of coal slurry and sulfur. Less than a thousand foot away, but totally different.....

Yup you can go a mile in any direction and get good water. They just picked a bad spot to build a town.

Latest posts

Back