1934 Cadillac

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This maybe the coolest thing I've seen in a while!!!

The Caddy 500 idea is perfect. Why put a boring small block Chevy in something that cool.

I love it!!

Great job on the tank. What's Varsol?

Varsol is what's used in parts cleaner/washer tanks, pretty much like hardware store paint thinner or mineral spirits. It won't explode when welding the leaks so I don't have to dump it out and dry it - also, when it's tight and I empty it, all the crud gets washed out. ;)
I thought about the big tank of water method but I don't want it rusting up (yet). :eek:

Varsol - Great idea, thanks. I used soapy water on the F-2 to locate the leaks, but it still caused some rust. The Firetruck tank is stainless so the water didn't have a negative effect. I think I'll make them all out of stainless in the future - it was easier to weld.

The tanks is awesom.

Varsol is what's used in parts cleaner/washer tanks, pretty much like hardware store paint thinner or mineral spirits. It won't explode when welding the leaks so I don't have to dump it out and dry it - also, when it's tight and I empty it, all the crud gets washed out. ;)

Before you take this a gospel, I'd check the flammability listing for the material.

If I'm going to weld on a tank, my choice of contents will not have an MSDS sheet that describes the proper fire fighting methods. You are dealing with a material that is much like kerosene.

The MSDS is included. Just because it's difficult to start, doesn't mean it won't ignite when warm and containing a proper level of oxygen. I had a friend that wore terrible scars from welding on a diesel fuel tank.

http://forums.mycotopia.net/attachm...27-extraction-solvents-varsol-varsol-msds.pdf

Just sayin'

Before you take this a gospel, I'd check the flammability listing for the material.

If I'm going to weld on a tank, my choice of contents will not have an MSDS sheet that describes the proper fire fighting methods. You are dealing with a material that is much like kerosene.

The MSDS is included. Just because it's difficult to start, doesn't mean it won't ignite when warm and containing a proper level of oxygen. I had a friend that wore terrible scars from welding on a diesel fuel tank.

http://forums.mycotopia.net/attachm...27-extraction-solvents-varsol-varsol-msds.pdf

Just sayin'

Right you are, it will burn if you get too careless, though I've not had any catastrophic episodes (knock on wood). Just the same, I always have the fire extinguisher at hand.

That's a nice looking tank! [dr [dr

It's mind boggling to see what you've made out of what you started with, especially given the time frame. :)

Bro this thing is SICK!!! [dr[dr[drI love it!! Reminds me alot of my '38 packard!! Can't wait to see the finished product!!! Got any new updates or pics yet????? [P [P [P

I like your choice of wheels and seems like most everyone else does.I am glad because I have a set of 20`s sitting in shop for my next project.I like big wheels.
Thats what makes rodding great.You do your car your way and I will do mine my way.If we respect everyone`s right to build as they choose we end up with some wild cars.
Your 34 caddy has to be the wildest build I have seen in years.You are a master of metalwork.[;)Great job!

Bro this thing is SICK!!! [dr[dr[drI love it!! Reminds me alot of my '38 packard!! Can't wait to see the finished product!!! Got any new updates or pics yet????? [P [P [P

Thanks ! Packards are way kool, my friend has a 37 Packard roadster with a 425 Nailhead for power, always high on my list. Caddys of the 30's have that similar style. After finishing other home projects, I'm just knocking out my golf car/ T bucket build - itching to get back on the Caddy - stay tuned.:rolleyes:

Thanks ! Packards are way kool, my friend has a 37 Packard roadster with a 425 Nailhead for power, always high on my list. Caddys of the 30's have that similar style. After finishing other home projects, I'm just knocking out my golf car/ T bucket build - itching to get back on the Caddy - stay tuned.:rolleyes:

Right on!!! Yeah my packard was actually turned into a 2 door sedan delivery by the guys that started it and we are rebuilding it as a sedan delivery cuz they butchered it BIG TIME!!!

I tried uploading pics but it kept givin me an error

Man there is nothing I don't like about this car! Top notch fab skills, I am learning a lot from this build and others. Keep up the great work and thanks for the detailed progress it really helps a noob get ideas and knowledge for a someday future project. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Mac.

Right on!!! Yeah my packard was actually turned into a 2 door sedan delivery by the guys that started it and we are rebuilding it as a sedan delivery cuz they butchered it BIG TIME!!!

I tried uploading pics but it kept givin me an error

Oh, hey, I saw the pics of your Packard - was it here or KB? Very different, lots of possibilities for a cool ride. The flat back is a bit odd, kind of a 70's vibe. Are you going with that rear treatment or changing it?

tumbleweed.gif

Oh, hey, I saw the pics of your Packard - was it here or KB? Very different, lots of possibilities for a cool ride. The flat back is a bit odd, kind of a 70's vibe. Are you going with that rear treatment or changing it?

Well I posted a link to the hub garage cuz I couldn't get the pics to upload on here

It is gettin a redo on the rear door I have a '39 packard hearse rear door for it now

This is what it should look like when we get it finished

Attachments

• 38_packard_RED.jpg
    38_packard_RED.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 73
having just read through this whole thread, I have to say two thinngs. First, and this was bothering me from the beginning, you gotta put something on the back. its just ugly without the spare tire or the trunk box. to much open space. and second, if you run shiny wheels, at least put her in satin black. otherwise it looks like you wanted to paint it but ran out of money.
Still, that said, this has been a captivating bulid that I cannot get enough of.

Latest posts

Back