1934 Cadillac

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
having just read through this whole thread, I have to say two thinngs. First, and this was bothering me from the beginning, you gotta put something on the back. its just ugly without the spare tire or the trunk box. to much open space. and second, if you run shiny wheels, at least put her in satin black. otherwise it looks like you wanted to paint it but ran out of money.
Still, that said, this has been a captivating bulid that I cannot get enough of.

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess...... In my opinion, spare tires and trunks look great - on stockers !! You have to wait for the finished product when the tail lights, bumper, license plate and exhaust tips come into the picture, the bumper style I have in mind will cover the lower part of the body. Those things will add interest to the rear without covering it up - I actually like the look of the unique rear profile and the way the fenders protrude beyond it, I might even extend the rear fenders to more of a point..
As to colour, satin black is actually at the top of the list right now, original ' patina ' has it's fans but I think it would look too much like a "field car" left like that....

Not much of an update, but at least it moved a little - I need room to get on with the golf car painting so the Caddy has to spend a couple weeks outside - at least it's tarped - considering it was out in the weather since it died in 1939 in Saskatchewan 'till I got it, this ain't too bad.

Attachments

• 16 06 11 34 cadillac 001.jpg
    16 06 11 34 cadillac 001.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 200
  • 16 06 11 34 cadillac 006.jpg
    16 06 11 34 cadillac 006.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 16 06 11 34 cadillac 007.jpg
    16 06 11 34 cadillac 007.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 140
I miss this build

Me too, I keep going back to this pic where I photoshopped in the running boards for inspiration (sigh). I'm onto the painting on the golf cart so it won't be long now.. so much to do, so little time.......
Funny, I thought retirement would mean mean more garage time [ddd - wifey has a different rule book than me...

Attachments

• dec 20 10 34 cadillac 008 zz.jpg
    dec 20 10 34 cadillac 008 zz.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 121
zz, you just had to repost this picture, lol. my olds body line is close to your caddy. as much as i want to see your caddy finished, i have a feeling it might cause me more work.

every time i go in the garage i stair at my fenders hanging on the wall. i lubed my hinge pionts on my hood the other week to see if i can free it up. i would have to add 2" to the rear fenders width for them to go on. i bought 2, 8 3/4" headlight glass and found 2 headlight rings at a swap meet. i know i would have to raise the front of the body several inches to level out.

zz, you just had to repost this picture, lol. my olds body line is close to your caddy. as much as i want to see your caddy finished, i have a feeling it might cause me more work.

every time i go in the garage i stair at my fenders hanging on the wall. i lubed my hinge pionts on my hood the other week to see if i can free it up. i would have to add 2" to the rear fenders width for them to go on. i bought 2, 8 3/4" headlight glass and found 2 headlight rings at a swap meet. i know i would have to raise the front of the body several inches to level out.

Heh, Heh, just rattlin' your cage :D.
There is a definite GM family resemblance between the Caddy and your Olds. Though that would be quite a chore to add the fenders to yours, it would sure look kool...:cool:

Play time is over, Caddy is back in the garage. :D Got started mounting the air system components to brackets off the frame over the tank, battery and valves will go here too. Lots of room for this to hide behind the seatback, I'll make a cover as part of the floor for access.

Attachments

• july 11 11 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    july 11 11 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 87
WooHoo..Caddy progress[cl As much as I enjoyed following along on the golf cart project, I love the Caddy!!!

Tim

Mounted the air valves and battery, made the framework for the cover, started making the filler pieces to meet the body sides.

Attachments

• july 11 11 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    july 11 11 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 87
  • july 12 11 34 cadillac 003.jpg
    july 12 11 34 cadillac 003.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 85
Finished making the floor panels to cover the air system, front panel is removable as are the two end pieces for access. I was going to make a steel cover for the top but I may put in a flush fit plywood top instead - re-introduce some lumber to the 'ol Caddy! :)

Attachments

• july 14 11 34 cadillac 003.jpg
    july 14 11 34 cadillac 003.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 125
  • july 14 11 34 cadillac 004.jpg
    july 14 11 34 cadillac 004.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 110
  • july 14 11 34 cadillac 005.jpg
    july 14 11 34 cadillac 005.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 111
Uh.... it's probably just the picture angle, but you did leave yourself enough space to get the battery out - right? Floor looks great!

Oddly, I could care less if my body work is done and I'd cheap a lot of other stuff, but if I put wood in my car it would have to be a nice grained piece of Oak.

looking good!

I need to decide on compressor (s) tank and valves and controller etc.... do you have any suggestions?

So has the guy you bought this from seen it yet?

Uhhhh, noooo, I wanted to get a little farther along first to give him a real heart attack.....

Uh.... it's probably just the picture angle, but you did leave yourself enough space to get the battery out - right? Floor looks great!

Oddly, I could care less if my body work is done and I'd cheap a lot of other stuff, but if I put wood in my car it would have to be a nice grained piece of Oak.

Yes, lots of room to lift and turn it out, also the front panel is removable, lots of access.

looking good!

I need to decide on compressor (s) tank and valves and controller etc.... do you have any suggestions?

I've used several different brands, this compressor is a Viair, I have one on my Hennway for 4 years, trouble free. I've also used different types of valves, this one I got on Ebay, called the V8 air engine, uncertain who makes it. I've used Air bagit.com stuff before, all no-name offshore stuff, cheap but some concern about quality, switches were junk. I've never gone with the full electronic, remote control, ride height sensor stuff - too much electronic junk and gizmos. One thing I swear by is using old GM power window switches for the valve controls. Lots of 60's and 70's GM cars used them, they came in a 4 square or 4 in a row style, nice chrome bezel, and they can take lots of abuse.

Time to start working on the doors. As anyone who has worked on these old wood framed GM bodies knows, once you take the wood out, all you have is a flimsy shell. Previously I welded in a 1x1 piece on the bottom so now I added a sheet metal upper and lower piece and another 1x1 piece to the rear edge. I'm going to use a set of Autoloc hinges to mount it and once they are positioned, I'll add some more support to the front edge. Also something that needs to go in now is a channel up the front and rear sides to hold the felt channel for the window.
I'd like to do suicide doors but that would make it really tough to get in the back seat...

Attachments

• july 17 11 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    july 17 11 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 122
  • july 17 11 34 cadillac 001.jpg
    july 17 11 34 cadillac 001.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 135
nice job i like the look of the 2dr better then the 4dr you going to finish it all the way out or what?? sorry if i over looked that part if you already said

After starting on the doors, I had an ADHD day today. Distracted by the chance to use my new cordless sabre saw, I went to Pick n Pull hunting for a roof skin. A 94 Lincoln Town Car was the unlucky one to get scalped for the cause. [ddd Actually, it was the only car out of hundreds with a roof large enough - 46" x 72" - and with a decent shape to fit the Caddy. I trimmed the edges of the Caddy roof and roughly cut the new piece to shape. It actually matches the Caddy shape very well, only a little too much bubble at the rear edge that I'll have to iron out.

Attachments

• july 19 11 34 cadillac 010.jpg
    july 19 11 34 cadillac 010.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 158
  • july 19 11 34 cadillac 003.jpg
    july 19 11 34 cadillac 003.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 143
  • july 19 11 34 cadillac 008.jpg
    july 19 11 34 cadillac 008.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 140
  • july 19 11 34 cadillac 004.jpg
    july 19 11 34 cadillac 004.jpg