1934 Plymouth five window

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to dump a product made by Sta-bil into the tank on my lawn mower and snow blower before storing them for a period of time. It really helps keep the gasoline in the machines fresh, i would recommend it.

-Chris

One thing I didn't think about Mac is the difference in our locations.......down South here, we probably have a lot higher humidity levels that you do. I have a old farm tractor, a 1955 International, and if I leave much gas in it, I'll have to drain the tank at least once a month to get rid of the water that ethanol absorbs from the air. I take the line loose, and you can see when it changes from water to pure gas. If I don't do this, it will run a while until the carb bowl fills up with the water, then it will start spitting and sputtering and sometimes just quit running. Drain the carb {updraft with a handy drain plug on bottom}, drain a bit out of the tank, and you're read to work some more.

You probably need to drain everything and start fresh. Hope it works out OK for you.

In the winter up here we're in the 70-80% humidity range, or so, so we get enough humidity too.

I tend to dump a product made by Sta-bil into the tank on my lawn mower and snow blower before storing them for a period of time. It really helps keep the gasoline in the machines fresh, i would recommend it.

-Chris

I do that as well, but the issue now is that the gas doesn't even last short periods. The junk I had in my truck last year when I was still finishing up the wiring went bad after just a month, and really bad. Usually you can run old gas in a car and not notice like you would with a two-stroke, but this stuff just turns to junk, so much so that the vehicle won't run.

I think my issue is thirty years of accumulated water in the big farm tank, that lay untouched for years because it settled lower than the outlet hose on the tank. Now the alcohol in the gas sucked it up an looked around for a victim.
Bama, you have given me new hope with your tractor story. It sounds like the water does eventually settle out of the ethanol so it will be at the bottom of the tank right now before I jostle it around much. Maybe I can pump out the bottom of the tank mix if I'm careful. Thank you Bam.

Anyhow, I had a town day today.
I got the rear fender fitting on there a bit better and a new emergency brake cable installed on the right rear wheel. The one I first put on there was a way too short. I couldn't hook it to anywhere. This new one has a 68" housing and is almost too long. It is a right hand side 1987 Ranger E-brake cable.[Food for thought, guys]
I also picked up my powder coated silver tappet covers today.

Attachments

• IMG_1247.jpg
    IMG_1247.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1248.jpg
    IMG_1248.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1249.jpg
    IMG_1249.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 39
Thanks Torchie.
I thought I'd bolt the tappet covers down today and pop the sparkplugs and wires on in a flash. It turns out that if you're doing a Hemi and you don't know what you're doing, there is no flash. I hadn't taken this motor apart [three other guys did], so I didn't know what to put on first or second. Three sparkplug tubes were missing and right now Hot Heads aren't making them, so I lost a little time robbing a 354 Hemi. I wanted the cool factor of 426 style sparkplug wire boots so I had to change things around with a kit from Hot Heads, which I didn't know how to put on either. There were no pictures in the instructions.

Attachments

• IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 34
Torchie, I was thinking of a hood but no side curtains for sure. I agree with you about showing the motor off. What's the point of having a hotrod if you slap a really ordinary motor in there and then hid it with hood and side curtains?

More slight progress, as I got all of the plug wires, boots, tubes and sparkplugs done.
Then the emergency brake handle caught my eye. It is an authentic '33-'34 Plymouth item, but it was rusty, inside and out. The unlatching rod was seized in the handle. There was quite a performance to get it broken out of there, freed up, and then rebuilt. Sometimes, I'm a stickler for era-correctness, sometimes not.
And speaking of era-correctness, I really want to but a generator on here, so I spent quite a bit of time Imagineering the brackets I will need and trying to find a suitable donor. I am just going to make a mounting bracket, I guess.

I like the look of generators too Mac.
Sometimes it is easier to create than to refit.
Can't wait to see what you come up with.
Torchie.

Thanks Torchie, but I didn't do any generator work today.
[Pic 1] is what I finished up last night, disguising my meagre 270 as a 426.
[Pic 2 is the WW-3 carburetor cleaned up and rebuilt. [The Carburetor Doctor can find the dangdest kits, guys.]
[Pic three] is my emergency brake handle and related gizmos; fixed, primed and painted.
On another unrelated topic, spring is finally here. The bears are awake. A few nights ago a bear came and knocked my garbage burning barrels over and made a mess digging through the trash. I knew enough to leave the barrels tipped over for a few nights because the bear might be back and still hungry. After four days of mess I tipped the barrels up and started refilling them. Sure enough, a bear came back and tipped them over again and remessed everything. So today I raked up all the crap off the lawn and took it away. I'll show him.

Attachments

• IMG_1251.jpg
    IMG_1251.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1252.jpg
    IMG_1252.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1253.jpg
    IMG_1253.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 28
Thanks Bob.
Yesterday, I helped a friend with a four cylinder farm tractor. This guy, Doug, has been swearing at this tractor for twenty five years, because it wouldn't start after it was warmed up. We did a complete tune-up and he really wanted to put electronic ignition on the tractor. I was scared of the unknown, but he insisted so we installed a Pertronix electronic ignition. I took out the breaker plates, points and condenser as a unit and slid in the new breaker plate and magnetic pick up easily. After putting on the cap we started it up and it started better than it ever had and ran smoother that ever, at all revs. I think he said the electronic kit cost about $60, but it was had to hear him with the tractor running and him dancing around with wet pants. He was that pleased with the switch. Pertonix Ignitor electronic ignition, guys, food for thought.
Tonight, a group of us start heading for the Red Deer Swap Meet on the week-end. This is the best thing since sliced bread. I've been saving up money since last year for this event.

Thanks Bob.
Yesterday, I helped a friend with a four cylinder farm tractor. This guy, Doug, has been swearing at this tractor for twenty five years, because it wouldn't start after it was warmed up. We did a complete tune-up and he really wanted to put electronic ignition on the tractor. I was scared of the unknown, but he insisted so we installed a Pertronix electronic ignition. I took out the breaker plates, points and condenser as a unit and slid in the new breaker plate and magnetic pick up easily. After putting on the cap we started it up and it started better than it ever had and ran smoother that ever, at all revs. I think he said the electronic kit cost about $60, but it was had to hear him with the tractor running and him dancing around with wet pants. He was that pleased with the switch. Pertonix Ignitor electronic ignition, guys, food for thought.
Tonight, a group of us start heading for the Red Deer Swap Meet on the week-end. This is the best thing since sliced bread. I've been saving up money since last year for this event.

Thanks for sharing, definitely good food for thought.

Im curious to see what you come back with from the meet. Anything in particular you're looking for?

-Chris

Ya 1952, I have a small list. I will need a big old '50s air cleaner for this Hemi and I should have a Plymouth dash insert. Tail lights are on the list but I'm not sure what style yet, hopefully something Mopar but maybe '50 Pontiac. Not scratched off the list from last year, '57 Ford fender skirts and Y-block three deuce intake manifold. I'll probably get an adapter for a Y-block bellhousing to a WC T-5 with a Ford bolt pattern.
Oh and '52 I was impressed with those electronic pick-up points. :):)
VintageT, I, too like Mopars and some Mopar colours. This is the copper that fairly new Chrysler products wear. I'm not sure of the exact name of it though. GM and some Asian companies tried to copy the colour with cookie-tossing results. :eek:
The top 2/3ds of this '34 will also be Chrysler copper, with the fenders and a little around the bottom, chocolate. [cl

Ya 1952, I have a small list. I will need a big old '50s air cleaner for this Hemi and I should have a Plymouth dash insert. Tail lights are on the list but I'm not sure what style yet, hopefully something Mopar but maybe '50 Pontiac. Not scratched off the list from last year, '57 Ford fender skirts and Y-block three deuce intake manifold. I'll probably get an adapter for a Y-block bellhousing to a WC T-5 with a Ford bolt pattern.
Oh and '52 I was impressed with those electronic pick-up points. :):)
VintageT, I, too like Mopars and some Mopar colours. This is the copper that fairly new Chrysler products wear. I'm not sure of the exact name of it though. GM and some Asian companies tried to copy the colour with cookie-tossing results. :eek:
The top 2/3ds of this '34 will also be Chrysler copper, with the fenders and a little around the bottom, chocolate. [cl

Thanks for the info MercuryMac!

Here's some Swap-meet news. I now have a big old polished aluminium air cleaner that matches my tappet covers; and three rough but fixable tail lights for a Plymouth although maybe '31 or '32's. I snaffled up three dash knobs for a '34 Dodge and part of a windshield frame.
A three deuce Y-block manifold was in my hands for a minute before the store keeper told me that he didn't want to sell it now, and we hadn't got to the price yet.
I wish I was building a '61 Ford at times on the week-end as there were fender skirts all over the place. Although why anyone in their right mind would want to have a '61 is beyond me.
A great time was had by all. It was colder than a witches heart, though.

Sounds like you had a great time, even with the cold weather.
What's wrong with a 61 :) I love them :cool:
Wait, as I think about it, Ive only seen a few old cars I don't like :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back