1936 chevy build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the rear is where it gets weird.. my axle was narrowed by the guy that i bought the cab from, and has different flanges on the ends. the flange bolt pattern is not square but more of a trapezoid. now to me they look like camaro backing plates, but the drums are 5 on 4.5" ford pattern. the are 11x2". what the heck are they and how can i make them work. thanks alot guys, heres a few pics and one of the backing plate.

I can't help you with the bearing info, but I can with the backing plate ID. This chart should help you figure out what you have.
scan.jpg

awesome man, i need the book that came from. i have the "small gm" backing plates. only problem is all the rwd gm stuff is 5 on 4.75 and my shafts are 4.50. they came with 11x2 drums that fit but they must not be gm. where does this leave me with trying to make this work i wonder.

awesome man, i need the book that came from. i have the "small gm" backing plates. only problem is all the rwd gm stuff is 5 on 4.75 and my shafts are 4.50. they came with 11x2 drums that fit but they must not be gm. where does this leave me with trying to make this work i wonder.
I'm not sure what "rwd" is but if your talking about the bolt circle, any quality machine shop can redrill your axles or drums for the bolt pattern you need. The book that diagram came from is Chassisworks latest catalog. They're free at www.CAChassisworks.com. My choice with another name for you on help with the bolt circle and axle problem would be Moser Engineering, www.moserengineering.com. They're very helpful people with questions like yours. Good luck. Hope this helps.

great thanks alot bud. i figured id have to give moser or strange a call, but i figured id poke around here first.

does anyone know what year and gm models would have been considered small backing plate according to cnc's chart he gave me? thanks!

This is not gospil but here's what I know.
The small GM pattern was used mostly 71-75 GM, big cars. C G K axles. Early Chevelle's, Grand Prix, Cutlass, Regal etc. Not sure which small GM you have tho. The small GM pattern was used with the bearing in the housing and mounted on the axle. C-clip style was mounted on the axle. A good local salvage yard should be able to identify your plates and tell you which ones will cross.
does anyone know what year and gm models would have been considered small backing plate according to cnc's chart he gave me? thanks!

thanks man you have been more help than anyone ive talked to. turns out my rear lug pattern is actually a 4.75 which i didnt catch because my wheels are multi lug pattern. (duhh) small detail there could have saved me all this looking. so basically all i need is 10 or 12 bolt brakes 64-77. way too easy!

Good, glad it helped. I guess I just have too much time to kill on this page. I got ratrod fever bad....:cool:
thanks man you have been more help than anyone ive talked to. turns out my rear lug pattern is actually a 4.75 which i didnt catch because my wheels are multi lug pattern. (duhh) small detail there could have saved me all this looking. so basically all i need is 10 or 12 bolt brakes 64-77. way too easy!

ok about to start on my bed, anyone got any homemade bed pics? im thinking 18ga with a 45* brake with 7/8" pipe on top with stock stake pockets. lotsa rivets and some louvers on the bed floor.

ok about to start on my bed, anyone got any homemade bed pics? im thinking 18ga with a 45* brake with 7/8" pipe on top with stock stake pockets. lotsa rivets and some louvers on the bed floor.

Her is my scratch built one. Not done yet but, it has 1.5" square tube framing and the sides are 16 guage sheet. Stake pockets are 2" square stock. Rail tubes are 1" if I remember correctly. The 16 guage I used is over kill. I suggest 18 guage.
stakepocketsgatesectowers004.jpg

stakepocketsgatesectowers007.jpg

update time fellas. well im getting real close, the last few weeks ive been trying to get the body straight. im not making it perfect, but just straighter than it was. i dont want it to look like a glass body from all the filler. the roof pretty much took one big skim coat to get smooth as it looked like a cow tap danced on it. hammer and dolly only went so far. the brakes are plumbed, the steering and front end is complete and the interior is getting there. for those curious, the silver coating is from masterseries. ive read about it before and im sure some of you have heard of it. essentially its like por 15. i love this stuff and would really reccomend trying it. i used a combination of foam brush, roller and spray gun to apply it. it goes on smooth, builds real good and sticks like crazy to EVERYTHING. it forms what feels like a ceramic coating and passed the screw driver chip test. haha. i found this 34' grill and started on the insert with 1/8" rod from lowes, its not done yet, but you get the idea. also, i wanted bomber seats but im cheap, so $99 race seats cut up look pretty decent. well im off to summit racing to get all my engine parts! heres a few pics so you see whats going on

truckbuild002.jpg

truckbuild005.jpg

truckbuild010-1.jpg

truckbuild011-1.jpg

Awesome build willmceliece great looking work. I kinda dig that high drive shaft
tunnel will make a great arm rest wished i had made mine higher. Reminds me of my old racing days :)

i wanted a nice high arm rest and wanted to make it more like a cockpit feel and section off the driver and passemger.

getting close to drive time. at this point, all i need to do is get my 3 rochesters back from the carb guy, fab a bed, make lake headers, make a wiring harness, and tie up a few loose ends. also have some door skins on the way since mine were so bad. im gonna put i few neighborhood miles on her while in primer to see if i have to change anything, then paint it all. i got my fuel system ran, and got the motor running good thanks to an expensive trip to summit: griffin radiaor, perma cool fan, and a pretty cool summit brand electronic dizzy. for anyone that cant fit or dosnt want to run HEI on their sbc, i recommend this distributor. its cheap and low key looking(flat black) and is good quality. im itching to drive this thing but you guys know how the last bit can nickle and dime you to death!

truckbuild021-1.jpg

truckbuild020-1.jpg

truckbuild019-1.jpg

truckbuild018.jpg

will
truck looks great. I also like the interior metal work. Hadnt thought about going that route but love it man. Be a good place to mount a fire extinguisher. Going racecar tech with mine. Where did you get your skins from?

Latest posts

Back