1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This will speed up the progress 'cause you can sit in there and make motor noises now
drive.gif

ohhh i assure you i was!

that would work...ill see if it cant search it up

theres a link to the seat build on page 9 of this thread>>> i am responding to this right now on my new TV... technology crazy... i havent figured out how to copy and paste though...

thanks man!

Corpo, With the tie rod in front of the axle, whats happening with the ackerman angle? I tried to go front steer because of link bracket interferance but got an ackerman angle nightmare? The tires pointed at each other at full turn stop instead of apart.

it has to be adjusted by heating up and re bending the steering arms.... the joints for the tie rod need to be out wider than the king pins.... i haven corrected mine yet but its on the list of things to do...

cool truck:D

Later:cool:

thanks skull

I have so many favorite builds I'd hate to try to list them, but this has always been near the top of that list..awesome truck

I have spent the last couple weeks going through dozens of build threads. This is one of my top 5 favorites. Good work -- keep at it!

Thanks!

I have so many favorite builds I'd hate to try to list them, but this has always been near the top of that list..awesome truck

Thanks again

What type of motor are you going to use. I didn't see it listed. Sorry if I missed it. Man that thing is awesome!

Its just a SBC, 307.. it was free and it runs...!

differential

Great build you got going. Any more updates? Were you able to use the same 1 1/2 axles out of the truck when you mated up the Dana? I didn't know they had the same spline as a Dana.

Great build you got going. Any more updates? Were you able to use the same 1 1/2 axles out of the truck when you mated up the Dana? I didn't know they had the same spline as a Dana.

Nope... life has been busy.. and I am broke.. I am hoping to maybe finish up the floor this weekend.. I scavenged some steel just have to remove all the paint..

I used the DANA axles, not the 1.5 ton axles.. all that's from the original rear end is the axle tubes and the hubs/brakes

the dana is like a 35 spline... and the old axles are like a 8 spline..

Any updates over the last month? Enquiring minds want to know.

ha ha.. i appreciate you checking in.. you guys got to keep me motivated! Not a whole lot of noteable progress.. just working on getting the floor sorted out...

Did escape from the floor long enough to make this horn bracket...
0295b0db.jpg

exciting stuff... i know...

Also, heres how Im going to mount the rear of the seats... the front mounts pivot... the coil overs are from mountain bikes.. i got them out of a dumpster years ago..(they look like they were pricey units) knew I would find a use for them someday... they are fully adjustable, spring preload adjustable valves for compression and rebound...
1d37f04a.jpg

Seats

Hey Corpo. I like the seats. I have a similar pair for my COE. Just wondering....do you think you'll need a small panhard bar to avoid side to side movement?

I think I'm gonna pivot the front also but i'm gonna use small coil springs from a lawnmower seat under both rear corners. (ain't got no shocks! LOL)

I'm enjoying your build.....great workmanship.

Lynn

Thanks guys... Shakey, no I wont need a panhard bar... the way I did the front mounts wont allow for side to side movement... Ill snap a picture when i head back out to work on it next Friday...

not as much progress as I would have liked but I made some...

I am using the remnants of what is left of the badly abused front fenders to get a really nice swooping tunnel.. It looks like it was meant to be..

I also needed just a touch more foot space for my left foot.. it was hitting the steering box.. so I made a little recess in the floor for my heals.. not Ideal but will work fine...

5c0d79cd.jpg

That piece there was about the only area not crushed from the drivers side fender..once I get that piece fitted.. I will split it down the center line of the trans and cut a mirror from the pass fender... should work out nice

[clThat is the kind of thinking I have come to expect from you. Outside the box, very neat and original...plus it just makes sense.

Good to see some progress on this again.

thanks guys, I think it will make a very ascetically pleasing tunnel.. and it will give the illusion that I knew what i was doing!

I had a chance to get a truck just like the one you started with about 2 years ago. I passed on it because I wasn't into rats at the time. MAN AM I KICKING MYSELF IN THE BUTT NOW!!! Your truck is just flat out awesome.

got out to my parents for a little quality time with the 36...more floor work, got the trans tunnel all pieced together from the two fenders I think the shape turned out nice...
3b927d6e.jpg

I think my drive shaft tunnel is going to look nice, I always look at things and thing about how they can be used.. so here is what i did.. might be a little tricky to explain. but ill try

I got these original running boards, this one was in half way decent shape the other was crushed pretty bad but still managed to save what i needed.. (dont mind the sketches on them that was for a different scheme that I didnt do)

4a6797c7.jpg

You can see in this picture that if you flip it over that you have this nice swooping radius..
087dd0d2.jpg

by cutting this edge off the two running boards, and flipping them upside down, I can use them to match with the trans tunnel. Which swoops down to my hoop at the end of the trans and then using these curves will swoop back up to the hoop at the back of the cab... the radius on the edge of the fenders matches perfectly with this radius from the running board

5701afcd.jpg

It makes a really nice transition that most people probably wont even notice but I know its there... It was almost like it was meant to be

Latest posts

Back