1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also worked on my shifter a bit, I needed a bit more leverage for dissengagaing the ratchet mechanism I made for the gears. The old leaver was only maybe an inch and a half long, so I whittled this out of 3 pieces of steel stacked up

c5789412.jpg

020741e1.jpg

You can see the steps I had to put into it to match with the pivot and the rod that actuates the ratchet
a6951262.jpg

and here is where were heading, I had to reduce the height of my front seat (took out about an inch and a quarter) mounts, I needed more leg clearance for the steering wheel, Life would be much simpler if I got a smaller wheel, but I love the look of the big wheel... Also got my pedals installed, the break pedal needs to be reshaped so that it is more driver friendly, nothing a cutt off wheel and a welder cant fix!

ac320cf7.jpg

[clLooks Great...might have to steal your idea for my shifter as well...grenade on top weighs up and doesn"t want to stay in gear...going to need locking detents as well...Nice Work!![P[P:cool:

yeah it was important to me that I set the gear and not have to worry about bumping it, Having that long shifter doesn't help the situation i felt like it could easily flop out of gear when hitting a bump...

Couldnt afford a nice locking set up so built my own... wasnt really difficult to do, I know alot of guys build there own set ups with out positive stops for the gears but to me seems kinda like asking for trouble

Real nice work I have been looking at your work. Very nice work and not much of it was a copy of any one else's Head ache... Stick with it your doing good.

Yeah me too....like that alot...

[clLooks Great...might have to steal your idea for my shifter as well...grenade on top weighs up and doesn"t want to stay in gear...going to need locking detents as well...Nice Work!![P[P:cool:

hope ya don't mind??!! [cl

of course not guys..!

Thanks .. i dont know about next summer.. if im lucky next fall.. I still have to tear it all back down to finish boxing the frame...arggg

thanks guys... actually worked on it a bit this weekend...

Im cheep so I decided to build my own drive shaft, and here is how I did it. I needed to step the drive shaft from one diameter to another.. I needed to mate the 3" drive shaft that was long enough and had the proper sized U joint for the trans to the 3.5" drive shaft that I had gotten with the rear end. I only had a small section of this drive shaft because it was crushed when I got it...

Here you can see the two drive shafts, as well as the tapered transition piece I cut from a tapered piece of tube...
0c3e6eb5.jpg

Next I made a collar, which I made from a cut off of the axle tube that I had leftover from when I made the new rear end... I had intended to only slide it on over the length of the collar, But decided to split a narrow ring off of it so i could use two rings and get alignment over a longer span... It took me forever to get the fit right between the collar and the OD of the smaller drive shaft and the ID of the larger shaft...

54c7ee58.jpg

I welded up the drive shafts to the rings, I also plug welded through the rings.. then I slid the tapered piece over the already welded joint and welded it again...

and here it is in place...
c21e295b.jpg

976219be.jpg

I have some more to post up.. but It will have to late to later...

Killer idea.....looks pretty sweat and strong...

Do you think you'll have any issues with the balance? Not sure how long the shaft is.....just wondering....[S

We will find out, I have seen some drive shafts that had huge dents in them and they can still get them to balance... It really should be pretty balanced the way I built it...

Balance

When I was In the Army I saw a training film about a pilot who emergency landed in the Bush and broke one side of his propeller. He went on to fix a dead weight on the broken side of the propeller to balance the prop and engine. And he flew the plane out. he had enough balance to fly the plane. The training was about jerry rigging and anything is possible if you use your mind instead of fear.

Well not much to report... mostly been trying to finish the floor...

but i did work on this, ever work on something not important just because you have to see what it will look like.. that is this project...

I didnt have a base for my hood ornament so I started to work on this.. I made the tear drop from a solid piece of aluminum.. i ruffed the shape in with a band saw and just kept working it on a belt sander to shape it..

The wings have a lot of work left...
97f03c30.jpg

1bc36be1.jpg

My dad has also put a lot of work into getting the sheet metal nice and clean so this spring I can do the finish welding and we can polish it and clear it...

look at how clean its getting..
ace2db45-1.jpg

We will find out, I have seen some drive shafts that had huge dents in them and they can still get them to balance... It really should be pretty balanced the way I built it...

Some years ago I welded up a driveshaft that wobbled and vibrated (got sloppy and didn't double check before welding it up) - with it running on jackstands, I held a piece of chaulk to it to mark the high spot and used hose clamps to attatch weights to the opposite side 'till I got the right amount to cancel the vibes, then welded the weight on. I drove it for years with no problems after.

Yours looks pretty good but the first drive will tell...

Latest posts

Back