1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on getting on the road [cl Looking Killer !!

Re: the noisy air exhaust -
For a while I put a pipe nipple in the exhaust port on the valve block on my Hennway and tied on a piece of an old bike inner tube so every time I let out air it would fart - for some reason my wife overruled that trick after one weekend....:(

ROFL! It would be funny the first dozen times, I admit :) [cl

well.. i listened to you guys and ordered a new turn signal switch.. low and behold the 7 wire style switch fixed my problems... doesn't look nearly as good, i almost hacked up the new switch to stuff it into the old housing... i might eventually do that.. I am going to have to do something about the handle..

Thanks to GJuntionMike for hooking me up with the window crank handle i was in need of..

I had a brass collar.. fit just right.. need to tweek the placement of the door skin when it goes on for the last time

I got my insurance.. Got my paperwork for my plates.. took the leap and melted my credit card and ordered the 4X Flap/tube/Tires for the back...

Im not sure if i mentioned that My power steering pump pee'd all over.. we took it off before my dad called someone and we determined we had it hooked up wrong. We were dumping the high pressure into the low pressure return.. Oops.. We changed that around but didnt get a chance to really test it.. its been raining here so often this year.

I also have been tinkering on a air intake.. but im no so happy with it.. i think its too small..

Yeah, truck tires have a way of doing that. I'm glad I only have two. I really like the way yours looks with duals. At least the tires will last a long time.

My friends keep sayin, "can't wait for a burnout video"

I keep telling them that's not going to happen... Tires are to valuable for that sort of thing...

My friends keep sayin, "can't wait for a burnout video"

I keep telling them that's not going to happen... Tires are to valuable for that sort of thing...

Isn't that the truth. When I was younger and had fewer obligations, I destroyed a set of rear tires in two weeks...brand new to sparking the steel belts in two weeks. Not anymore.

Well ....... I ordered 4 tires...

[S

Since I'm a nice guy and have a conscience ... I will make them aware of their mistake... See what they want to do... I did check and they did only charge me for four...

Last edited:
Got some time to kill so I'll post this up... I wasn't going to show it cause I'm not real satisfied with it... I might keep messing with it... I might not...

Here's my other option: air cleaner off a 1957 Chevy (dad has a few and can't use any of the cause he's got a 4 barrel)

Here's what I was messing with...
It's an old shel casing I liked the old engravings on the top. It's what's left of an old trench art piece... Felt kinda bad cutting it up but it's missing the feet and part of what was on the side was broken... It was an umbrella stand... Don't know the history on it ... Given to my parents years ago... I remember it in the front hallway as a kid... Anyway... Since I want to see the engraving and make that the top (probably where I went wrong) this is what I did...

I cut it into 3 pieces... It's cray how thick it was... But then again it did contain an explosion

Last edited:
It was 5.5 pounds before I started... If I decide to keep messing with it I will need to take more weight out of it... But I turned it down on the outside to allow it to slip back together... All of it was done on a rotary table on a Bridgeport as I don't have access to a lathe... I am definitely not a machinist... But I make due

Here it is mocked up... I didn't trim the "flowering" off yet I wonder how that look was achieved?

I think it's too small...

I don't think it's too small. I'd also keep the flare along the bottom if possible, but it would be fine without it. Is the air going to come in underneath, or are you going to put windowing in the sides?

Here's a tip on the tires. Check them all for defects before you give one back. You don't want to pass an opportunity to reject a bad tire at the start. I bought a set of special order tires once, and a week later I had to get one replaced. It's no fun to do it that way.

There have lived many a small block that breathed through a 4 inch air filter element and a 2 barrel carb. If you wanted the air to come in from underneath, it wouldn't absolutely have to have holes in the side.

I did some digging for ya

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_de_155_C_modèle_1915_St._Chamond

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_de_155_C_modèle_1915_St._Chamond

The Canon de 155 C modèle 1915 Saint-Chamond was a French howitzer used during World War I.

The Canon de 155 C modèle 1915 Saint-Chamond was a howitzer of relatively advanced design for its time. It used a hydro-spring recoil system mounted below the barrel and had a small gun shield. The box carriage had wooden wheels so it could only be towed as a single load at low speeds by vehicles or by a team of 8 horses The barrel was drawn back over the trail for towing. It had a semi-automatic vertical sliding block breech that ejected the cartridge case after firing. A loading tray was attached to the carriage on a swinging mount. It fired a 43.5 kilograms (96 lb) high-explosive (Obus FA Mle 1915) shell to a range of 9,300 metres (10,200 yd).

The German Army captured 200 Saint-Chamond howitzers after the fall of France and used them as field guns and coastal defence guns as the 15.5 cm sFH 415 (f) until the end of the war.

Used by
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
France
23px-Flag_of_German_Reich_%281935%E2%80%931945%29.svg.png
Nazi Germany
23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png
Finland
23px-Flag_of_Romania.svg.png
Romania
23px-State_Flag_of_Serbia_%281882-1918%29.svg.png
Kingdom of Serbia

Thanks 8 Liter for the research.. pretty neat .. 96 pounds of high explosives.. yikes

i was thinking it might breathe ok just from the air underneath.. I do have two sections of shell casing.. I could perforate one and not the other.. decide which looks better...

Got out to work on the truck, inspected the tires first .....they all look good... Going to contact Coker tomorrow... The two tires that were banded together... One was addressed to me one addressed to a guy named dusty.... He's probably wondering where his tires at...

Installed the handle I had made for the other signal switch... Little tricky, not as nice of a look as before... But a hybrid of the old and new...

Dad painted the headers... And he wrapped the cones

Next.. I decided I really didn't want the switch box sliding around... So what do you do? Complicated solution... you bet..

First u take some steel wire and u bend it around a socket..

And you make a bunch of these hoops..

Last edited:
I laid out the pattern and drilled the holes... Then tacked the hoops on from the back..

I have no pictures but I cut the header panel from the rest of my aluminum.. It wasn't long enough so I had to splice it together... I also had an old bronze cabinet latch... Cut a little overhead compartment for stashing my tollway transponder...

Some more work to be done on the overhead... But I'm pretty happy with it..

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back