1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure lookks like you're steering rod is going to hit the headers if the front raises. I love the truck but not a fan of the rod on top of the headers.. keep up the good work!!![cl[cl

Nope plenty of clearance... I verified that by airing out the suspension... It's just an optical illusion ...

I would have preferred to keep the headers up a bit higher but there wasn't a way to do it and have the ability to air out all the way... The pitman arm would have had to been probably 6" longer

Theres sum way baddd rydes on here and this is one for sure. Love that setup! RR:D

Thanks man...

Little bit of an update...

Been working on all sorts of odds and ends... but heres some more interesting stuff...

Heres the column support.. thought it would add a little visually.. still need to finish welding it up...

243ae597.jpg

d98d10f9.jpg

My old man has been working on getting the dash all smoothed back out..
46bcfd83.jpg

But the majority of my time has been spend designing my shifter and linkage.. its almost done but still a few more pieces to fab...

I started by taking the original manual trans shifter I had cut out of the seized up trans before it went off to the scrap yard... It has a lever which I can only assume was some sort of reverse lock out..

It had a large ball style pivot in the center of it that I cut off and then smoothed back round... I then extended the bottom of the shaft a few inches and made a few collars so I could put a stiff spring to actuate the lever. The plan here is to make a locking style shifter. The teeth for the lock is what remains in the fabrication.. I also need to fabricate a new longer handle for the lever because its a work out for your hand to actuate it currently...

The whole assembly slides on from the drivers side and has a positive stop on the passenger side, I even put a few brass washers in there for a nice smooth wear surface... I still need to trim down the pivot to the final length and drill the bolts all the way through. I built it with just taping the sleeves because this gave me the ability to independently adjust where the shifter is in respect to the gears.. the tube assembly on the trans I built a long time ago out of some scrap bends, it mounts to the tail shaft and a few bosses on the underside of the pan...

ff0de47c.jpg

Here you can kinda see some more of whats going on.. I used a few 3/8" heim joints and a tapped rod to make the link..
f7691d9c.jpg

Heres an overall shot.. its definitely got the hot rod look.. but not crazy high. its about level with the dash at the highest point.

be98ba88.jpg

Like I said, little more work to do but im pretty happy with how its working out and saved some serious coin over buying a lokar

That looks great; it’s a work of art. [cl

Nice to see someone else make their own. I haven’t started mine yet, but I’ve been planning to do something very similar.

59,567 VIEWS! And it deserves every one.[cl

See bob.. it doesn't account for the fact that 58,000+ of the views are just me looking at it... haha..

Or it could just be that it has been a slow build.. lots of time in the first few pages of the build section

More great fab work, too bad the shifter will mostly be hidden under the floor! [cl Column brace is another fine piece too.

Yeah... it crossed my mind to leave it exposed somehow.. but I think I will prefer the finished look, SO at some point it will get covered by the floor and some sort of custom boot, I was thinking maybe a warn looking canvas or something.. or a warn brown leather.. I guess how I finish the seats will help to determine that...

Thanks guys...

I'm a huge believer in making stuff instead of buying, but who know you could actually make your own shifter! I have never even considered it.

Nice job on everything.

I can't wait to see the finished interior. You're doing one hell of a job. Keep up the good work! [cl [cl [dr

Thanks man.. lots of work left to do

I'm a huge believer in making stuff instead of buying, but who know you could actually make your own shifter! I have never even considered it.

Nice job on everything.

Well heres a little update to the shifter.. almost done.. little more tweaking... need to trim the excess off the shaft thats sticking out.. add a few gussets and it should be good to go...

You can see here how I made the locking feature for the gears...

9bfa7cb8.jpg

fb95c115.jpg

Thanks for posting and giving great comments on my build but it doesn;t compare to the extensive work that you are doing on yours.....I'm in amazement every time I see what you have done next and so is everyone else as shows with the comments and views...jaw droppin coooool.....keep it up!!!!![cl[cl[cl[dr[dr:cool::cool::cool:

Latest posts

Back