1936 ford P/U unibody build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clipper

"And now for something completely different" Heres some pics of what we're starting with. 36 cab with a bad case of east coast channel. I got this cab from a old yard that everybody told me "there's nothing worth saving in there, they should dig a hole and bury it all."

102_0356.jpg

I started by building a mini jig to mount the body on. squared it up and tacked the doors on. braced the body then removed the doors. then mounted the mini jig to my rotissery. Now it was off to my buddys sand blasting spot.

Back @ the house

102_0360.jpg

102_0359.jpg

102_0358.jpg

102_0362.jpg

shot the body with some self-etching primer. Got some more pics coming but im alittle slow with the photobucket process. I"ll let you get some popcorn and an adult beverage.

One more of the cab

102_0361.jpg

Heres where it gets funky Took some small material and bent it to match the curve of the cab then cut some 2x3x.120 wall and made some relief cut to match the curve of the cab.

102_0380.jpg

102_0369.jpg

102_0370.jpg

chamfered the relief cuts for good penetration

102_0378.jpg

then got cab ready to install The thought here is to build the middle of the truck first then add a front and rear clip like what I do on the race cars I build.

More in a few... Hows the adult beverage tasting?

Started with installing some 2x4x.120 across the front and back of the cab. The mini jig is square this helps with measuring where the 2x4 material needs to be.

121_0015.jpg

Next was cutting the cab to install the 2x3 material.

121_0013.jpg

121_0016.jpg

121_0018.jpg

121_0019.jpg

A little tip.... Taking the time to make sure the cab is square on the jig is very important as the frame/rocker has 1 1/2 inches on each side for the doors to fit.

hey man lookin good so far i had a question where were thoes bodies? i need a new model a body are any worth it? you could pm me all this if you want keep up the good work

Sorry DRSS but there WERE no model A vehicles. Really sorry to tell you that the guy who owned the yard caved to the high prices of scrap about 2 months ago. ITS ALL GONE! Its a real bummer there were alot of things I wanted to get,especially a buick nailhead that was way out back. Im debating seeking therapy for the loss.

made some filler plates to connect cowl to frame and also a spot to attach the kick panels later on.

121_0050.jpg

121_0046.jpg

121_0044-1.jpg

so far so good The tape measure gods have been kind so far with everything staying nice and square.

A little of the top... please

well once we go the bottum tied together we got looking at the top. the choice was made for an angle chop. 5 inches in the back and 6 inches in the front. we're only going to chop the rear window opening 3 or 4 inches and position it for the best height to be able to see out of it.

121_0035.jpg

121_0028.jpg

121_0027.jpg

121_0031.jpg

trying it on for size

121_0042.jpg

thats it for this week will be posting some more soon. Clipper

Evil, Wicked, Mean and Nasty

Clipper!

That is going to be a bad ass little pick up. Bonneville Chop, NASCAR style frame. Very cool! Cant wait to see her roll! Are you going to build the Bed?

EWMN!!! Thats the way all pickups should be...Keep ridin the wave!

gutter removal

had a little time to spend with the cab tonite. Needed to remove the gutters.
The rust had caused the gutter to bulge away from the cab and was full of holes.

121_0059.jpg

started with a small screwdriver to gentle pry the top edge away then with a 90 degree wizz wheel found where the small spot welds held the gutter to the cab. At the ends of the gutter a small amount of lead blends the gutter to the cab.

Before

121_0058.jpg

After

121_0060.jpg

121_0066.jpg

Gutter fab in upcoming post.

A little tip These stands come in handy in more ways than I can mention.
I have some that are 5' tall and some that are 3' tall

121_0070.jpg

UNIBODY

Very different build. cant wait to see how you put the front and rear clip on. Will the be removeable??????????? Going to be a bad ass little truck.

some assembly required.....

had a little time started putting roof back on.

121_0139.jpg

121_0141.jpg

121_0140.jpg

121_0142.jpg

121_0143.jpg

removing the gutter helped choose where to cut. cut dash out-- to be replaced with a dash to be named later. cut across front with wizz wheel , sawsall for inside of front windshield post. Removed the header panel behind where the wipers are located. Again this is an angle chop 6 in the front 5 in the back. had to do some trimming to rear door post area.
Installed a turn buckle between front window posts to pull them together.
if anyone has got any questions I would be more than glad to try and answer them. Clipper.

Super clean fab work!
are you gonna use the stock dash or mix it up a little?
from the looks of your work, I'd expect something wild!
keep it up, Clipper!!

Heres a couple of choices I believe the first one is a late 30s chevy the second is out of an Edsel.

121_0147.jpg

The dash out of the truck is the lower one so I figure with a little trimming I could get it to fit.

58 Edsel I believe

121_0148.jpg

Aftermarket 2 5/8 gauges will fit in the stock gauge holes.

Latest posts

Back