1938 Fire truck...What to do?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhmikel

Any thoughts or ideas?
Pics?
Restore it....dunno as it would sit some more.
Prefer to make it more useable, ie.
Stakebody rat rod
ramp bed
camper

Attachments

• 2012-11-18 15.59.30.jpg
    2012-11-18 15.59.30.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 93
  • 2012-11-18 15.58.26.jpg
    2012-11-18 15.58.26.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 111
Always the dilemma with a fire truck. They are usually in such nice shape you hate to disturb them but all they are is a parade vehicle in their stock form. Pull the bed and make a car hauler seems like a good idea.

Flatbed with stake sides, ramp bed,

my favorite would be about a 6' long short bed with wide fenders to cover the duals.. and keep the front fenders..

Lots of potential there..

I'd figure out what kingpin pods were necessary to install IH or f700 10 lug spindles and hydraulic brakes on the front
Your axle beam is going to be narrower than and f600 front beam.

And for the rear I'd use an IH rear axle with hydraulic DISC brakes...the ford hydraulic drum brakes can cost a grand just for a pair of loaded backing plates if your wheel cylinders are bad

Engine and tranny? look for a cummins or IH444 out of a B600-B700 school bus or ford? international commercial truck.
The 8 liter cummins ford put into their f700 and f7800 dumps was a good engine..the 5.9 cummins was not just used in dodge pickups but also in ford 2.5 to 5 tons

The International DT466 engine is a really good engine too

if you build it with modern commercial hydraulic brakes instead of air brakes it will not need a cdl
If you build it with a diesel it will not be crippled by excessive fuel consumption
If ypu build or intall a commercial tilt and slide or rolloff body or even 'arm and hook' flatbed or container you will be building a truck that can sell for 20-30 thousand or more if you do it right and built it DOT legal.

If you stay with the legacy brakes it might not meet DOT requirements. any brake system leaks = out of service.
The old fashioned air brake setups also are not in compliance with current DOT regs

A couple years ago I saw a bus on Ebay with a 5.9 cummins, 60k miles, 22.5 aluminum wheels with new tires runnign and driving for $3,000 buy it now.
I had an 85 f600 with a gas engine and a 22' flatbed I was looking to turn into a diesel with hook arm, removable bed and a winch

if you think the tilt decks are cool look t a hook arm setup...
you can drop the whole bed on the ground and have a couple different beds for the one truck.
you could even have a flatbed you could drop to pickup trash containers.
I saw a dump truckk with a bobcat in the back one day and asked him how he got the bobcat up in the truck he told me he just uses the arm to put the whole box on the ground then drives in on and picks up the whole box.

i also saw an Old B model mack a guy had 2.5 ton rockwell 4x4 axles and monser mudder tires under and the bed he made out of sheet and tube using an extra set of front fenders for rear fenders

Torchman has some great ideas. I wouldn't be a bit afraid of narrowing a newer front axle to fit either. You can find whole school buses for cheap. When I was working for that ministry in Texas, we had 4-5 old Bluebirds with 5.9s in them, various states of dis-repair from blown up engines to the typical trashed Bluebird wiring and brake issues. I think $1500 would have bought the best of them. We couldn't trust the brakes anymore due to the crappy system to keep pressure if the engine died. Same with old binders, I have seen buses with the DT466 in running condition for cheap.

I would probably use modern diesel components, shorten it a little and build a dually pick up to drive every day. What ever you do that cab looks way cool.

Torchman has some great ideas for the running gear upgrades, another might be a motorhome chassis - there are some rotten old ones out there that may be relatively low milers for cheap.
Ideas have been put forth to change the bed, but then it would just look like any other old flatdeck or dump truck wouldn't it ?? [S The fire truck bed makes the truck look like it what it is - I would definitely keep it or build a copy if it's too far gone.

Got my fingers crossed.....
The firetruck cab requires lots of attention.....
So as luck would have its own way......
Suppossed to go check out another cab.....fri/sat

Sounds like you've changed your mind. That's too bad, but sometimes for the best before you dig yourself in too deep.

www.stovebolt.com

A little reading material for you. Check out some of the stuff in the "Big 'Bolts" tech and how to sections. Look for stuff posted by a guy named "Grigg" he's done stuff with disc brake and diff swaps off of UPS trucks onto these old GM's to make them more driveable.:cool:

FWIW, I'm pretty sure these oldies had hydraulic brakes. Don't believe they had air until you were into highway tractors. I looked at a newer (1951) Chevy firetruck some time ago, 1-1/2 or 2 ton, it had hydraulic drums.

Hope you find some useful info at the link above.

Regards,
Shea:)

Last edited:
Hi NHmikel

If someone dropped that in my yard and said here...build it...take the cab off and (maybe save the hood and grill too)make an old school "bobber" style truck. Those big rig rat rods are so impractical...weigh twice what a little bobber truck would too...(suck more fuel...cost more for everything)
If it runs with the stock motor (flathead 6 right??) use that part too. maybe find a 5 speed out of an old S10 truck and maybe the rear end too...make it a little fun truck to run around town in...a smaller straight front axle in the front too....a disc brake kit from Speedway motors so at least it will stop...

Maybe some really tall wide white walls too...

Just some thoughts from a wannabe Bobber truck driver.

MikeC

Latest posts

Back