1941 Ford 1/2 t "RatGrua" from Spain

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Days 9,10,11,12 in my proyect "RatGrua"

Hi,
all this past days (9,10,11) I´m crazy welding the bridge crane,
putting some order in the place I will work with the "Rat Grua" next months (and I say months, not years ;)...I hope...
I think never in my life start a proyect with this thorough preparation,
after the initial "rocket Rat launch" I discover that I have not place to move into my working area, and all the tools are in diferent places, and a lot of objects appears when I make some cleaning movements. (strange objects, that I´m not sure yet if must go to the garbage, or can be useful someday...)
For all this, I decide to put order (a big one) and latter I will work mutch better.
But this will cost me one or two weeks !!
meanwhile...
look what happened the day 12...
I have some things in my head, ideas, of objects and drawings about everything concerning my proyect, this includes something to put in the doors of the truck, a drawing, logo who describes more about my proyect and me.
The challenge includes, a tool (Crocodile Wrench, tool that its similar of me, becouse, do things and resolve problems, but not in a delicate or perfectionist way [ddev ) a Rat (literally...a few days ago I discovered a mummified rat on my property while preparing my work area) and my hand.
With all this, and one slogan, I think I can resolve what I want to put in the door of the "Rat Grua".
the cuestion is I showed the initial collage to my brother, and he and he felt revulsion :eek:
Latter I work more in it, and make some drawings, put the slogan, and I think its not too bad...
would appreciate your opinion about it, I would also like permission to add www.ratrodsrule.com
in the door of my "Rat Grua"
ok, I go with the paper chart:

next pic, of the tool in my hand, the tool I have saved for around 15 years, it´s made in the USA of course, and double jaws Crocodie Wrench.
About the hand ..50 years keeping it :) the hand its a little injured from two months ago, some damaged tendons in one finger, but I can make some things.

crocodilewrenchmano.jpg

I must WARNING about the following pic (the mummy)
view or not is your choice I am not responsible if it bothers you guys:

ratamomificadachalet5.jpg

and the next image, which was displeased my 49 years old brother...
previoratgrualogo1.jpg

I tell him its not the final drawing,
I hope when he watch the complete idea he change is opinion.
In any case...its my Rat :)
I work on it a few hours, with the text I want to add, and the concept I figured in my mind...

and now...
the last or almost last sketch:
ratlogotexto001copyrrr.jpg

Last edited:
Croc....you are a very funny guy.....

Did you do the drawings too!... Love the mummy rat....not sure what that wrench is from but certainly is a fits all type....LMAO....[cl[cl:D

thank you all fellows :)
I feel good with this (rat) mission, I can put together, some of my skills and passions, and share it in a favorable environment, you RRR [ddev
and of course very important, I enjoy so much, taking a look viewing and reading other projects here, many people with great skills and sense of humor, friendly, and with you guys, everybody learn a lot ...
go on this way !! [cl

This looks like a really neat build, going to have to follow this for sure. Your idea for the logo on the door is awesome, like it alot. Keep up the good work, as others have said its really cool to see how others are hot rodding around the world with completely different parts.

I like the picture. Too many words for the door. Keep the door art simple with the company name. Use the rest of the sayings on things like the side of the tow boom, the back bumper, or the rear window.

I like the picture. Too many words for the door. Keep the door art simple with the company name. Use the rest of the sayings on things like the side of the tow boom, the back bumper, or the rear window.

good ! :rolleyes:
I will think about it, what words and where, its not hurry, only enjoy around this.
thank you :cool:

Day 13, in my "RatGrua" proyect

Ok,
a very few advances in my proyect...
I clean all the lights up the roll bar,
this roll bar must hold all the tow doom system. (no bed here)
day13ratgruapararrr.jpg

and here, a view of the rear axle, by the moment without no one solution for all that it needs to work properly, only a few ideas...I want to make something different, like a system that allowme to raising and lowering the chassis manually, (I have some drawings, and I want to test this, in a small scale prototype.)
day13ratgruapararrr2.jpg

and here, some view of the blue "Jules Verne`s" air intake (I´m not sure yet ,to let it there)
day13ratgruapararrr4.jpg

ok, and now...the front end...
a lot of work here, to make something visually acceptable and who also work fine,
I´m mentally working in it...(by the moment I twist it, and put all the sub-frame backwards, this way I put the steering rack in the back of the axle, I think this cannot be a mayor problem for the funtionallity of the system)
day13ratgruapararrr3.jpg

day13ratgruapararrr6.jpg

day13ratgruapararrr7.jpg

day13ratgruapararrr8.jpg

Fortunately I have an assistant...four-legged :)
day13ratgruapararrr5.jpg

ok, one more photo, this time without the blue air intake, and with the headlights close to their final approximate location.
day13ratgruapararrr11.jpg

...In later chapters, I hope to provide schemes of suspension systems in prototype...
I have an idea to use a short version of the torsion bars who comes with the donor (at front) to use it to attach one cross bow.
On the other hand, I think I like the smile that hints at the corner of the lips of the front axle of the rat...

Last edited:
If you reverse the front suspension, think about caster.

How about a chain binder for raising and lowering?
LB02.jpg

You would still need a way to lock it into position for safety.

Hello Sam, thanks for your wise counsel, I will review it thoroughly.
In a first inspection, I think I have any luck with this independent suspension system, as the main arms, are absolutely perpendicular to the ground, no matter if you turn 180 degrees subframe. -or maybe not [S ??? mmm I must check twice !!-
(straps of the arms are another story...they have any inclination... I have to study.)
I have one idea in my head, about front IFS, its to make a front subframe whit the look of a rigid STRONG axle who would be caught to the frame of the truck, and hold all the necesary to the IFS configuration. I will draw this and upload here in RRR.
the idea is a good looking front axle, but functionally IFS.
And without a lot of parts. Only de Subframe, de two arms of each wheel, and for the braces, can be used this that always use the hot rods,
in parallel or two in one end, (this near de firewall) excuse my bad technical explanation.
And of course, the suspension system.
I will make drawings of all...;)

About the chain binder for raising and lowering...[S
mmm you are a genious :cool:
Simple and strong.
I´m thinking different ways, but this that you say...[cl
I´m not sure to use it yet, need to put all this things in my brain and shake it all a little :D
talking about other things, but related to the rat rod fever , I show pictures of the rats USA, and my job with the Rat Grua, to a few friends here, and one of them (at least) are excited and want to build their own rat here, I´m happy for that becouse its a lot of fun around this, I sense in the future, much activity in this area of construction rat, Fantasy, Creativity, and Fun...and...around the world !!
I see web sites in Sud America with emerging Rat Rods Clubs and in Europe too (from years ago to now, of course) but with internet its a lot of information now, and I can tell, this is a global phenomenon.
Like you did in the past with the EEUU you exported your culture, film, music, clothes, and now ... the Rat Rod plague [ddd
I think creativity is universal, but grows best in a good soil, and that you did so with your effort. [cl
I'm happy to share with you ,my passion for the rat rods
thank you !!

Last edited:
ok,
Here are some pictures about some ideas, so that the design of an IFS front stiff shaft which contains most of what needed to sustain the arms.

diseoejefrontalifs2.jpg

I think it could use some washers or spacers to adjust camber and caster angle

here, with the arms that hold the axle, and longitudinal chassis braces long.

diseoejefrontalifs.jpg

and here, an idea to hold the axle to the chassis

diseoejefrontalifs32.jpg

one more...

diseoejefrontalifs3.jpg

the cuestion its that , at first, I dont like the idea to weld the axle to the frame,
(becouse I don´t know if the chassis are temepred, its a 93 european chassis)
but can be good too...it its not tempered. I must check.

Hi GJMike !!
I´m not leaving the Rat Rod scene ;)
I´m just a little busy preparing the "Rat" working headquarter operations area (you must see to believe how many things I save with the past of the years in my shop...)
more things...I need to buy some tools, to work better...
I thing all this, can take me over 1-3 months,
meantime, I have no one day without thinking about my Rat Grua,
and what I´m gonna do, about front and rear suspension systems,
and a lot of different things involving that...
And if this is not too much...
a new Rat proyect its growing in my head...[ddev
(I like to work, in different things at the same time)
this second one, must looks like a 5 windows ´30 coupé
with a Jeep Commando frame and some parts of the body,
with this, I think I can do it, street legal...maybe with some basic rules, like bumpers and engine cover or thinks like this, not sure yet (and for the rest of modifications, a lot of rules here, but I hope I can afford...)
and other thing... las month, I created, an user profile in Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/Rat.Rod.Club.Spain
not too much people from now, but it's a start...
you are invited of course...

and about my free time, a few by the moment,
family, work, etc...you know..

thats all by the moment :D
I hope to have something interesting to tell you ASAP [;)

Croc have not seen you in a while?????

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back