1948 Chevy Truck "RAZOR"

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a bunch of headwy this weekend so far. I got the bedsides all roughed in and ready to finish, started to rough in the grille shell and mounted my unfinished rear wheels with the size tires I plan on running. It's starting to get closer and I'm ready to drive this thing NOW!!!!

Attachments

• front1.jpg
    front1.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 63
  • front2.jpg
    front2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 69
  • left side.jpg
    left side.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 64
  • left side2.jpg
    left side2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 60
  • rear1.jpg
    rear1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 62
  • side3.jpg
    side3.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 63
  • side4.jpg
    side4.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 53
  • side1.jpg
    side1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 55
  • side2.jpg
    side2.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 51
  • drivers side1.jpg
    drivers side1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 78
looks solid man
Thanks for the props Man!!

I like the chop with the rake on the top and the bed looks good.
Thanks, I just wanted something a little more mean than the normal chops on these trucks.

I'm definitely diggin the deeper bed . I've seen some builds where they use a real shallow type bed, and to me it just looks better the way you have it. Just read the whole thread so far, looking very cool.
I looked at many beds trying to decide on which would best fit the truck, and as much as I like the short sided beds It just didn't work. I'm happy with how it's coming out so far. Thanks for the time in checking out my build thread!!

It's late. I'm tired. And I just had to go through your whole thread. Wow! Has this project evolved and changed. Had no idea an AD truck could be made to look so cool.

A superior project. Congratulations.

WOW!!!! I had to dig deep to get this back in the flow!! LOL

Went to a swap meet last weekend and got me some new(old) Parts!! I found a grille shell from a 1937 Chevy, Gauge Cluster from an old Pontiac and then found a dash from a ChevyII Nova that was on it's way to the scrapper!! It was pretty well gone or I would have saved more than the dash!!

Dash is mocked up, grille shell is roughed in enough to put in place and then tweak for the look I'm wanting and trying to find som einfo on rebuilding the speedo on my gauges!! Take a look at the pics and tell me what you think!!

Thanks,
Are you still goin to use the speedo from the Pontiac?
I discovered that Pontiac (maybe all GM) never changed the internal unit from at least 1940 to 1977 :cool: I used a 1977 Nova internal unit for my 1940 speedo, the entire unit bolts right in and lines up, the only thing u have to do is tap the threads for the face of the old speedo, the mount hole are there just not tapped.
The speedo needle just pulls off and pushes on also use the '77 speedo cable.
Now for a question; are u using the front axle from the '48 or did u get something else?

Jim

It's late. I'm tired. And I just had to go through your whole thread. Wow! Has this project evolved and changed. Had no idea an AD truck could be made to look so cool.

A superior project. Congratulations.

Thanks man!! A HUGE Thanks for the props!! It has been an up and downhill ride, but I finally have the finished vision in my head and am busting my tail to get it done that way!!

Build is just awesome, can't wait to see more progress.

There will be more pics coming soon!! Stay Tuned!!

Are you still goin to use the speedo from the Pontiac?
I discovered that Pontiac (maybe all GM) never changed the internal unit from at least 1940 to 1977 :cool: I used a 1977 Nova internal unit for my 1940 speedo, the entire unit bolts right in and lines up, the only thing u have to do is tap the threads for the face of the old speedo, the mount hole are there just not tapped.
The speedo needle just pulls off and pushes on also use the '77 speedo cable.
Now for a question; are u using the front axle from the '48 or did u get something else?

Jim

WOW!! Thanks for the info, yes I am using the set-up from the pontiac that I got at the swap meet! Love to hear that it will be less strssful than I originally thought!! To answer your question! It is the original 1948 axle, special thanks to ZZRodder for the info on slimming the axle down and how to build a set of homemade bones for it!! I like it way better than I originally had it. I like the fact that there is so much meat on the axle that you can slim it down and not hurt your axle any if done right!! Again Thanks for the info!!

OK!! I couldn"t help myself!! Just had th throw in another pic of the truck before I get busy reworking the grille shell!!

Attachments

• garage pic.jpg
    garage pic.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 24
Well I worked on the grille shell for about 5 hours so I thought I wouold post some pics of what I came up with. Still needs finish welded and grinding done with some touch up here and there before I make the grille insert for it!

Let me know what you all think of it!!:D

Attachments

• grille shell3.jpg
    grille shell3.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 88
  • grille shell5.jpg
    grille shell5.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 79
  • grille shell4.jpg
    grille shell4.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 82
  • grille shell2.jpg
    grille shell2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 92
  • grille shell1.jpg
    grille shell1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 91
There's something appealing about the frankenstein look with all the raw welds :D, its a Kool shape, kinda 37 Chev like.

I bought it early spring at a swap meet. The guy told me it was a Plymouth grille. So I talked him down on the price took it home and low and behold in yellow crayon inside the grille shell it said 37 chevy!! I new it was chevy when I bought it but just not sure of the year! LOL

I want my hood to come up and meet the grille and I have no idea who around me has a 37 chevy hood, so I did a redneck metal forming to get it where I wanted it! Does look wounded everytime I walk into the garage. Not sure I will make it past tomorrow night before I get more done with it!

Thanks ZZrodder!! I have enjoyed all of your builds to date!! You do some amazing work!!

Have some update pics to share of the truck.

Attachments

• background3.jpg
    background3.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 131
  • brakes1.jpg
    brakes1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 99
  • brakes2.jpg
    brakes2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 98
  • dash1.jpg
    dash1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 104
  • grilleshell1g.jpg
    grilleshell1g.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 94
  • grilleshellmount1.jpg
    grilleshellmount1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 97
  • hood1.jpg
    hood1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 96
  • hood3.jpg
    hood3.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 103
  • sideshot2.jpg
    sideshot2.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 112
  • steeringbox1.jpg
    steeringbox1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 83
Man that nose is going to look awesome with the hood on [cl[cl Love the grille opening.......kinda reminds me of the lips and tongue on the Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers" album :D

[P[P[P

Man that nose is going to look awesome with the hood on [cl[cl Love the grille opening.......kinda reminds me of the lips and tongue on the Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers" album :D

[P[P[P

You know the funny thing is just the other day my wife told me it looked like the mouth opening from scary movie!! She told me i should call the truck scream!! LMAO Thanks Snake Farm it's all starting to come together FINALLY!!!!

that is one bad truck:D:D

Later:cool:

Thanks Skull!! Just hope I don't go overboard with it!! LOL

No Thank God!!! I recently made a job change and the grandkids have been playing high school football so I have had to back off a little. That and we had a bad storm come through here a while back so I have been roofing my parents house and garage and other buildings to help them out.

Gonna be getting back on the truck again here really soon. I am so ready to get this thing on the road!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back