1949 Business coupe update

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my sway bar brackets made and installed today. Just a few more things to do; I've got new leaf spring bushings to install, the trim needs to be put on the car, and I'm getting new tires and possibly some kind of hub caps. Still thinking that over; I don't want aftermarket wheels but some vintage hub caps might look good.Then we're good to go for some summer road trips!

Attachments

• IMG_0701.JPG
    IMG_0701.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0702.JPG
    IMG_0702.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0703.JPG
    IMG_0703.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 47
Progress is looking great, did you make the mounts on the A-Arms for your sway bar to attach to? I'm looking at installing one on my 64 C-10, it almost drags the bumper during hard cornering LOL...

Yeah, I made them. I had some scrap 2 1/2" x 1/2" bar stock. Just cut a couple of 12" pieces, then bolted them to the a-arm with 3/8" grade 8 bolts and also welded them. I had to drill a 1" hole in the ends for the sway bar links.

Yeah, I made them. I had some scrap 2 1/2" x 1/2" bar stock. Just cut a couple of 12" pieces, then bolted them to the a-arm with 3/8" grade 8 bolts and also welded them. I had to drill a 1" hole in the ends for the sway bar links.

AWESOME!!! I think That is what I will do on my C-10.... I have a swaybar that is wide enough from a car I parted out a while back, just wasn't sure how to go about making it all work together.

Thanks for the insight! :D

I wrapped up several things over the last few days. It started out as changing out leaf spring bushings as they were shot and clunking pretty bad when you hit any kind of bump. I didn't realize it until I got going but the bumper had to come back off to get the spring shackles out. Then I realized that my fuel tank was leaking from an undetermined spot. So off came the tank and the bumper. After cleaning up the wet spot on the tank I found a couple of little pinholes. It looks like some rust pitting had started. Weird; only one small spot; the rest of the tank looked solid. So i rinsed the tank several times with hot water and Dawn and was able to weld the pinholes shut. Just for good measure I used some fiberglass mat and resin over the questionable area. Hopefully this will work long term; I did the same thing on an old fuel tank years ago and it held for several years. A new tank isn't in the budget right now. I also put the truck weatherstripping on. This all made a huge difference; it drives so much better with the front end adjusted, the sway bar, and the new spring bushings. Now for some new tires, the rest of the trim, and for now I decided to run a set of original 49 Plymouth hubcaps.

Attachments

• IMG_0704.JPG
    IMG_0704.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0705.JPG
    IMG_0705.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 28
Never fails...

You can never fix just one thing.....it's just Murphy's law....but hope all the fixes work out ....don't see why that tank wouldn't work for a few.....[cl

I had a few pinholes in my Lincoln tank. I used an epoxy from Permatex designed for gas tanks on the outside, then used RedKote on the inside. So far, so good, no leaks.

Latest posts

Back