1949 Business coupe update

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the beginning, you mentioned a jeep pedal assembly, which you didn't use. I am just wondering why you chose that one. Was it for ease of mounting?

The guy who I got the car from already had a dual master cylinder mounted to the original pedal assembly and did a pretty nice job. It was easier to build a bracket for the clutch slave cylinder to connect to the original clutch pedal than to start over and re-engineer the whole thing.

I have a bad case of automotive ADD. I get them done, drive them for a while, then I get bored and it's time to build something else. I used to count how many I've owned, I stopped counting around 200. Time for the next challenge.

I can relate and totally respect that... often the thrill of the chase is more satifying then finishing the race...:D

I've been driving the 49 a lot but truthfully haven't been really happy with it. Once the novelty of the SHO motor wore off I wished I had gone with a V8 like I originally planned. The 3.2 runs really good but 180 cubic inches is still only 180 cubic inches. I was going to just sell the car and ran it on Ebay a few times but only got a lot of trade and lowball offers. So I think I'm going to finish out the cruising season with it and put it back under the knife this winter. I picked up a 400 Mopar B block and am planning on doing a 451 inch stroker with it. That should increase the fun factor a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_0826.JPG
    IMG_0826.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 29
I've been driving the 49 a lot but truthfully haven't been really happy with it. Once the novelty of the SHO motor wore off I wished I had gone with a V8 like I originally planned. The 3.2 runs really good but 180 cubic inches is still only 180 cubic inches. I was going to just sell the car and ran it on Ebay a few times but only got a lot of trade and lowball offers. So I think I'm going to finish out the cruising season with it and put it back under the knife this winter. I picked up a 400 Mopar B block and am planning on doing a 451 inch stroker with it. That should increase the fun factor a bit.

:eek::eek: WOZZERS!!!:eek::eek:

That should take it to the next level for sure!

Thanks. Same deal here; I used the SHO motor because it was alrea7sitting in my garage. It makes ok power but the power band is really high. It doesn't start waking up until your up past 4k. I like more low end, smoky burnout power.

Thanks. Same deal here; I used the SHO motor because it was alrea7sitting in my garage. It makes ok power but the power band is really high. It doesn't start waking up until your up past 4k. I like more low end, smoky burnout power.

Sounds like you need a SLO (SUPER LOW OUTPUT) instead of the SHO :D.... I'd say htat thing screams when it comes to passing people going down hte road though...

I think part of the issue is the transmission gearing on the Ranger 5 speed. I've got 3:73 rear end gears but at highway speeds in 5th gear the engine is at about 2000rpm which is a really w weak place in the power band for this motor. It would probably be great in something like a T bucket.

I think part of the issue is the transmission gearing on the Ranger 5 speed. I've got 3:73 rear end gears but at highway speeds in 5th gear the engine is at about 2000rpm which is a really w weak place in the power band for this motor. It would probably be great in something like a T bucket.

DOWNSHIFT! If it still isn't enough torque.... DOWNSHIFT AGAIN!!

If I'm not mistaken the final drive in the SHO was a 3.74:1 You might be better to swap to a 4.11:1 rear gear...Or just go with the bigger motor! [cl

so I guess I'm the odd man out...I'm pulling the 396 BBC in my Chevelle and installing a 364 LS motor...oh, with a CTS-V blower though![cl
should go from 325hp to 540hp[dr

so I guess I'm the odd man out...I'm pulling the 396 BBC in my Chevelle and installing a 364 LS motor...oh, with a CTS-V blower though![cl
should go from 325hp to 540hp[dr

That sounds cool, John! I don't think anyone would fault you for that one; make sure you post some pictures.

Got the engine tore down and picked up a 440 crank this week. Everything looked good; probably could have ran the engine like it was the way the bearings looked. Off to the machine shop this week to see what everything looks like. I decided to go with the 451 stroker. That's the 400 block, turned down 440 crank, stock rods, and Keith Black stroker pistons.

Attachments

• 20150701_193332_resized.jpg
    20150701_193332_resized.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 21
the saga contines.....[/QUOTE]

Yep, they are never done; that's for sure. I got my block back from the machine shop; everything looked good and it cleaned up at .030. I blew my car budget for the month so I'll drop the crank off in a couple weeks. We're leaving next week for our 10th wedding anniversary so no car stuff for a few weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_0843.JPG
    IMG_0843.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back