1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your steering wheel hub is splined correct? Pre 48 Trucks and pre 49 cars had a keyed shaft put they are hollow as well.
As I recall most all of the Ford Shafts are hollow to allow for the horn button wire.
Have you thought about machining the inside of the coupler to work with your shaft?
Just a thought.

I am using my stock 41 colunm but may have to go with a smaller wheel for seat clearance. The young guys helping me fit in it pretty well. But they are just skinny punks!
I was considering using the the nose of my hood as the top part of the grill as well but I won't deal with that until I am finished with the chop.
Torchie.

I know a guy who has a lathe that is big enough to do a sleeve for me. I could have one end bored to fit over the 49 steering shaft, and the other bored to fit over some 3/4 shaft that I can have milled to Double D on the end. A good interference fit and it will hold together pretty good, and still fit inside the steering column tube. I also don't loose any diameter by cutting it down to fit into the 49 shaft. Sleeving it would actually make it stronger.

What do you think of that idea?

Yeah the wheel is splined onto the shaft. Machining the joint is an option, just more complicated.

gold03

I'm feeling your pain Gold, the newer steering shafts on the Fords are like a 3 angle triple D shape... heh ehh

I'm sure I'll be scratching my head for a bit buying all the splined and other shaft making pieces...

I found a solution to my steering challenge. I actually have a nice piece of DOM tubing that will make a great sleeve. A buddy at work has a lathe and is willing to do the machining.

I paid good money for the DOM....[S but getting old and can't recall what I had in mind when I bought it. Maybe it was just calling me.

I did a little sheet metal mock up and fabricated a couple of ends for my lower grill valence. I need to do some sheet metal trimming and then weld it all together. I might just eliminate the joint across the front end and make it all one nice piece.

A little work on the english wheel and the planishing hammer made these.

gold03

Attachments

• IMG_1089.jpg
    IMG_1089.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1090.jpg
    IMG_1090.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 69
Thanks for the comments guys.

It's going to take a bit of trimming to get it to all match up and allow the suspension to articulate.

I'm thinking about doing another piece behind the grill as a transition to the hood, and a lower grill mount. Still working on that one in my head though.[S

Gold03

I just went to trim the tin, but I have no blades for my pneumatic saw[S

Apparently those blades are in high demand and low supply. @&$%#:mad:

I get a day off![cl

I'm way behind on sleep, so it's OK.

gold03

As I go thru your build thread it makes me wonder why with the skills that you have you haven't chopped the top yet?
I should have waited for you to do yours so that you could show me how to do it[cl
Torchie.

Trimmed and welded. Now just gotta clearance for the suspension, add a little support, and carry on with the rest of the grill support and structure.

gold03

Attachments

• IMG_1091.jpg
    IMG_1091.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1092.jpg
    IMG_1092.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1094.jpg
    IMG_1094.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1095.jpg
    IMG_1095.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 50
I think the front point of my hood is pushed in slightly. Might need to pull that out a little so it looks better.

gold03

Latest posts

Back