1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php
No concerns at all Gold, just thought it would be a great place to hide a mounting bolt too ;)
What if you used something like this cone colander for headlight buckets [P
It would be ventilated well [S

Attachments

• colander.JPG
    colander.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 160
Hey Iron, I've been keeping a look out for a starting point for buckets. Hadn't considered a colander. I could come in handy if I got the urge to make some pasta![cl

Thanks for the compliment Bob. I'm really enjoying the metal shaping.

Had to put a little tweak on the grill as I had some misalignment. Then I got to thinking. Which isn't always a good idea, because it usually makes more work!

The top of the grill where it attaches to the hood doesn't look right to me because of the 90 degree angle. So... here is the big idea. I'm going to use the exhaust pipe trick to put a small curve there too. That will make lines flow a little better.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_1125.jpg
    IMG_1125.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1126.jpg
    IMG_1126.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1127.jpg
    IMG_1127.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1128.jpg
    IMG_1128.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 57
I dunno, I was ok with the 90 degree, cause it looked like the hood really was a hood, separate from the grille... But it will look good with the radius you added too!

You could go either way and it would look good but I dig the radius. When you step back and look at these trucks, especialy the cabs, there are very few straight lines and 90 degree angles. Every thing is one big beautiful rounded curve:)
In fact I would think about going one step further and maybe do some sculpting of the lower hood edge as well to tie it together with the grille.
I like the hood on idea and am still considering that for my build but I just haven't figured out how to tie it all together.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Torchie[;)

"there are very few straight lines and 90 degree angles."

That is exactly what I thought.

Since my last post I was out working on mine and taking a good look at everything.
Once you put a box on it then you start to add some straight horizontal and verticle lines but about the only straight lines on the cab that catch your eye are the door edges.

If I could find one I would take the back half of an early 50's Caddy and make it into a pickup box. All those curves would match up nicely with all the curves in the cab. Kinda like a Frankenstien Flower car[ddd. Who knows maybe I will get lucky. Keep up the good work.
Torchie[;)

If I could find one I would take the back half of an early 50's Caddy and make it into a pickup box. All those curves would match up nicely with all the curves in the cab. Kinda like a Frankenstien Flower car[ddd. Who knows maybe I will get lucky. Keep up the good work.
Torchie[;)

Sounds familiar, 'cept mine is a poncho fin [cl

Everyone loves fins, that there is the truth! :)

Hey Dirtyrat. I guess I must be getting deaf,blind,and stupid in my old age.
After your last comment I took a close look at your profile pic. As the kids say "Duh" I never got past your chopping the top in your thread.
I dig the poncho rear end. I would really like to find a Caddy from 49 thru to 56
when they had the little up turned fins with the gas cap under the tailight lens.
A yard near me has an ambulance of that vintage that would work but i would most likely have to buy the whole car and I can't remember what shape the rear 1/4's are in.
If this damned snow ever goes away i will go and check it out. They are talking snow for Friday night around here.
Torchie[;)

Hey, if you went with that colander (called a 'china cap') for the light bucket, you could put a turn signal in it too. All the little holes would light up! Pretty....

Hey, if you went with that colander (called a 'china cap') for the light bucket, you could put a turn signal in it too. All the little holes would light up! Pretty....

Reminds me of one of those christmas trees that you could put the little colored lights into, now we are talking!

Here's an idea.....

attachment.php
No concerns at all Gold, just thought it would be a great place to hide a mounting bolt too ;)
What if you used something like this cone colander for headlight buckets [P
It would be ventilated well [S

You could find some of those little tea bag strainers and make them into parking lights and turn signals......:D... somebody? anybody? Hey....I was thinking outside the box...... :D

Latest posts

Back