1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the plug and the help gold.
Hope you get the furnace sorted out soon as we all need to see the progress on your fine build.
Not much snow on the horizon for here but Darn,It's cold.
Torchie.

I have heat!!!:)

$800 for a heater and vent kit, and $1,000 to install and repair a brand new Mr Heater shop furnace:eek:had to replace a circuit board and a pressure switch on a brand new heater. Even the repair guy was swearing.

I do believe I will post a review on Mr Heater.

Not impressed... but did I mention... I have heat?:D

Gold, feel ya on the heat thing having issues with
mine also dreading to see what it's going to take to fix

also kudo's on the leg up thing for Torchie you are a true friend
my friend

Headers are finished! I was going to do a down pipe and some Harley mufflers but found these old Super Trap spark arresters in the junk pile. Cleaned them up and welded them on. Presto! If its to loud I will build some spiral muffler/baffles to go inside the cones as well.

I reworked the passenger side grill mount a little.

Now I think it is time to tackle steering in a serious manner. I need to determine what steering drop I need and see if I can still get steering in around the header. Hope so.

I need to see if I can adapt the original steering wheel onto the column I bought. That would be handy.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 49
Headers look great gold.[cl
Key on the wheel and splines on the new column? Are the shaft the same diameter ?
Post up picks as we'll be watching.[P [P [P
Torchie.

Im thinking about building my own adapter with the splined end of the shaft and a machined plate. That old steering wheel is pretty rough though. I'm not sure I want to invest the time and effort to rebuild it.

Im thinking about building my own adapter with the splined end of the shaft and a machined plate. That old steering wheel is pretty rough though. I'm not sure I want to invest the time and effort to rebuild it.

I understand that. The f series steering wheel that I got with my cab is rough as well or I'd be happy to send it to you.
Truthfully you have a lot more wheel choices with the splinned wheel than you do with a keyed one. It all depends on the "Look" you are going for. What is the steering column from?
Torchie.

Thanks guys.

Torchie, I'm looking to maintain stock appearance inside. I need the big steering wheel for turning power with my manual Vega box.

But... That wheel needs a lot of work.

I understand gold. Personally I think these vehicles look better with a big wheel.
Lots of them out there . I sure that you will find one.
Torchie.

Steering system progress

Finally got back on this project for a few hours. First pictures are of the simple method I used to mount a steady bearing on my steering shaft. Just a 1" square tubing with a bolt welded to the side and a couple holes for the steady bearing to bolt to. The bolt is drilled through the farm and brought up tight holding the whole thing in place.

Attachments

• IMG_2353.jpg
    IMG_2353.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2354.jpg
    IMG_2354.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 20
Steering Drop

I needed a steering drop. the column from Speedway Motors won't fit in the stock drop. So I cut out the inside of the stock drop and am in the process of making another collar that will fit. Once I get a bottle of MIG gas I can get it all welded and ground down. The collar will get split so it will clamp on like stock. Hoping you won't be able to tell when I'm done. A little metal shaping with the hammers seen in photo and a piece of cut off axle shaft for a mandrel in a big vice.

Attachments

• IMG_2359.jpg
    IMG_2359.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2357.jpg
    IMG_2357.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2361.jpg
    IMG_2361.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 31
$160 Speedway stainless column. Real nice quality. Has a quick release. Can't beat that price.
Thank you, good Sir. I just went and looked at the SW basic columns. I like. Now to make mine. I just can't abide the S10 tilt column. It works great, but it just doesn't look like it belongs in my truck. It will likely cost as much to make one, but it will be more fun!

Latest posts

Back