1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a slow burn, but the fire is coming back. Spent some time today removing exhaust manifolds. Went better than expected. Broke off two bolts on passenger side. manifold was seized to the bolts. Tried the red hot, then cold air blast, then a shot of some solvent crap. Finally got them out with a pair of vice grips.

Started working on the laker header kit. going to be a PITA. I know, Torchie advised me to buy a set, but I couldn't find ready to go headers set up the way I wanted. So here I go[;)

Sorry for the lousy pictures.

I am going to go with the down pipe and muffler under the cab on each side. I keep looking at large V-twin mufflers from a bike. This old flathead isn't built for power and speed so it can't hurt any more thant he exhaust that was on it.

I did ![S That must have been 100 years ago.....:D
I would recommend just running straight pies with no mufflers. Has a great sound when you rap on it.[ddd

How are you doing for frame clearance? That flatty sits pretty deep into those frame rails.
Glad that you are back at it my brother from another mother.[;)[;)[P
Torchie.

Frame clearance is tight. I'll grab some extra tubing to make it all work. A buddy of mine bought an exhaust tubing machine last year or so. I have access to that as well.

I'd love straight pipe, but there is a bylaw here on how many db your exhaust can produce. $250 fine:eek: so it needs to be quiet... Ish.

One done. Now to make another one...that looks remotely like the first one[S

Sorry about the picture quality. Not sure what is with my iPhone lately. Crap pictures in low light.

Attachments

• IMG_2320.jpg
    IMG_2320.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2321.jpg
    IMG_2321.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2322.jpg
    IMG_2322.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 57
Not sure about the welding bit Torchie. But like a guy who instructed me in the art of welding said to me..."it's like squeezing s##t out of a tube" and true to my instructor... That's kinda what it looks like.[cl. I think it will last a bit though.

Thanks for looking in my friend.

Got the second header built minus the end cap ring. I need to build up gasket surfaces on both headers as well. To tired now.

The passenger side frame has a couple of funny lips on it that interferred with clearance and I had to build a tube that came forward a little and then back to my insertion point. Looks kinda funky. I ground the welds on the pipe to improve the looks. These are going to get some Hi heat header paint for a Finnish.

An enjoyable project overall. SpeedWay's kit worked out pretty good. Not sure I would tackle a set of fender well headers.

Again, its tough to take pictures in poor light of shiny metal.

Attachments

• IMG_2324.jpg
    IMG_2324.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2326.jpg
    IMG_2326.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2329.jpg
    IMG_2329.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2332.jpg
    IMG_2332.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 37
I've got about 1/2" clearance to the frame. If they end up touching, there are a couple options to gain clearance. They are only mocked up for pictures.

Thanks for checking in.

I've got about 1/2" clearance to the frame. If they end up touching, there are a couple options to gain clearance. They are only mocked up for pictures.

Thanks for checking in.

I can remember what the first option to help with headers/frame clearance would have been in the old days. Beat on the top of the frame rail with a BFH until the headers clears. :eek: :eek: :eek: [ddd [cl
Who knows. Maybe it still is............
Torchie.

A little progress made on the headers. The flange mounting surface is finished. I might have clearance issues on the drivers side. Will see how it needs to be resolved. Either recut headers, or go with Torchie's suggestion.

I lost both batteries in my Dodge Ram:(. Eleven years isn't bad though. My concern is I think I have a small short to ground in my car starter. It quit working when I had the windshield replaced, and the batteries started draining. Might have got pinched where the antenna is by rear view mirror.

Latest posts

Back