1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks DR. As I said drivers side turned out better than Passenger side but I fiddled with it last night and it is starting to listen to me.[cl
I am happy with the way the chop is going and all the encourageing comments from the members here on RRR helps a great deal too.

It is interesting how floppy these roofs become when you cut them up. My intent is to get the roof as close as possible. Body work will take care of the rest.
Having had a chance to look at some chops done by the masters I think that most people would be surprised at how much lead was really used. These guys didn't have 3 months time to spend on making everything perfect. They didn't use english wheels or planishing hammers. Just a torch and your basic hammer and dolly body working tools.
So with that thought in mind it is back out to the garage for more welding.
Torchie[;)

You think that stuff gets flimsy.....

try hacking off the roof of one of the late model crap.....acts like 22 gauge stuff when you section it....then wants to title wave on you when you tack it....unless it's near the curve or the pillars...it does get flimsy....but you are doing a great job..... lots of hammer welds.....I should have done more...but hard to do in the middle without any help...

Not much new done over the weekend as we finaly got some warm weather but i did manage to get the royal barge out from behind the snow bank.

So today went out and worked on getting the door tops tacked into place.

1st Pic. I got the upper door angle where I wanted it and tacked it into place.

2nd Pic. I fab'd some pieces to but inside the frame work to help with structural integrity. One for the front and back door window uprights.

3rd Pic. Pieces plug welded into place.. These pieces also helped to keep things line up as I did wost of this with the door closed and clamping was not always an option.

4th Pic show the frame work tacked in. I am hapy with the overall look of the window opening. Top edge of the door needs a little work but i will do that last after all the inside frame work is massaged and welded.

Hopefully having some help over tonight so we will see what we get accomplished.
More later.....
Torchie[;)

Attachments

• IMG_2842.jpg
    IMG_2842.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2843.jpg
    IMG_2843.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2845.jpg
    IMG_2845.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2838.jpg
    IMG_2838.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 85
Cause I'm diggin it..... :D

Yeah the Princess likes the barge sgtpontiac.
The 60 Chevy was a father -daughter projecft when my then 19 year old was a college senior. We spent the summer working on the car. Newer 283/aluminum powerglide. Body, paint and interior. She did the work and I mostly supervised. At that time the roof was painted turquiose as were the wheels. Trim was pink:eek: When it was finished her and her mom drove it from Nothern Michigan to North Carolina in one day[cl
Last summer I redid the roof color. Got rid of the pink trim and lowered it about 5 inches. Hoping for fender skirts this summer and I plan on driving it as I sold my 50 GMC panel last August. That was my daily driver.
Torchie.

So as promised more time spent in the garage this evening. And this is what we did.
This is the front clip and hood from the chassis that I am using as the platform for this build. A clapped out 41 Ford 2dr sedan.
If I go this route i will need to find two front fenders as these are really bad.
Plus hood will need to be sectioned.(Oh well. More welding for daddy).

So lets hear what every one thinks.
Torchie[;)

Attachments

• IMG_2864.jpg
    IMG_2864.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2860.jpg
    IMG_2860.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2856.jpg
    IMG_2856.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2852.jpg
    IMG_2852.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 115
Hey, that would be different! What are your plans for rear fenders? Your going to need some big fat back ones to carry it off I think.

Soot a side profile for us.

That is what's left off the 41 front clip from the donor Car.

The big problem is the fenders are trashed. I had to cut the back of the fenders off to get them off the 41 body. Plus they are full of bondo covering over rust.
I would have to come up with better fenders. For the back I would most likely go with early to mid 50's Ford or Chevy's. What ever I could find. Those years are the fatter style.
If I go this route it is going to envolve a **** ton more work. But of course everyone that see's it likes the way it looks. To me at this point it looks like a 40-41 Willys pickup/gasser.
We will see if I can find fenders reasonably.
Sure do like the head on look though.
Torchie.[;)

Attachments

• IMG_2860.jpg
    IMG_2860.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2859.jpg
    IMG_2859.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2861.jpg
    IMG_2861.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 79
Have a look at that front view and see if there is a way to use the hood and grill. Might have to make the grill a little wider, but it would be cool with no fenders![dr

Either way I like it. No fenders is easier, and the car hood and grill is one of a kind on a truck cab.

Do like I do. Sit down and stare at it for a long time.... You already do that. Just do it some more.

Awesome build[cl

That is what's left off the 41 front clip from the donor Car.

The big problem is the fenders are trashed. I had to cut the back of the fenders off to get them off the 41 body. Plus they are full of bondo covering over rust.
I would have to come up with better fenders. For the back I would most likely go with early to mid 50's Ford or Chevy's. What ever I could find. Those years are the fatter style.
If I go this route it is going to envolve a **** ton more work. But of course everyone that see's it likes the way it looks. To me at this point it looks like a 40-41 Willys pickup/gasser.
We will see if I can find fenders reasonably.
Sure do like the head on look though.
Torchie.[;)

What's wrong with those fenders? It just looks like you need another brick-o-bondo to replace the one that fell out :)
Maybe some sheet metal screws would hold it in better. Or duct tape! Yah, duct tape is the ticket [P and paint it black :)
Brick-o-bondo, sheet metal screws and duct tape painted black. Good as new(ish) :D

What's wrong with those fenders? It just looks like you need another brick-o-bondo to replace the one that fell out :)
Maybe some sheet metal screws would hold it in better. Or duct tape! Yah, duct tape is the ticket [P and paint it black :)
Brick-o-bondo, sheet metal screws and duct tape painted black. Good as new(ish) :D

Actually jmlcolorado that sounds amazing like the solution my wife came up with:D

I can find better fenders. Just a matter of the cost:( Plus if I go full fendered then there will need to be some sectioning done to the front fenders to allow the wheel to fully turn. Change one thing. Change it all.
This project seems to be slowly but surely turning into a full blown custom:eek:

Not much going to happen in the next few days as I have to turn my attention to another project. Plus go for a ride to visit relatives.
Torchie.[;)

I like the look the car fenders in a pickup and have thought of doing it myself.making it different is what will make people interested in it but ultimately what you like is all that matters . keep up the good work.

I like the look the car fenders in a pickup and have thought of doing it myself.making it different is what will make people interested in it but ultimately what you like is all that matters . keep up the good work.

Thanks saleenme1.
As i stated in an earlier post. This was pretty much what I had in mind from the start. Sometime though, it is nice to have a fresh set of eyes look at something. My problem has always been that I see too many options and have to decide which way to go.

D you have some big ole balloon fenders for the bed too? I think it would flow nicely with a car front clip and big fat fenders in the rear too.

Exactly what i was thinking jmlcolorado. Could use Ford or Chevy from 49 thru to about 53 or so
Torchie.

Just a quick post to let every one that is following this build know that We are still here.
Shop got full and up untill yesterday the 60 Chevy was in here as well. The past two weeks have been filled with spring cleaning. Elder care and a few health dealings of my own....
On the plus side I did score a nice set of Oldsmobile buckets for possible use on the project. And best of all the price was right[cl
Hoping to get back at it this weekend.
Torchie[;)

Attachments

• IMG_2885.jpg
    IMG_2885.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2887.jpg
    IMG_2887.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2888.jpg
    IMG_2888.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 47
41 Ford fenders have a seem all the way around. It looks like someone filled it in on your fenders, grind out the plastic, maybe what you have isn't that bad.

41 Ford fenders have a seem all the way around. It looks like someone filled it in on your fenders, grind out the plastic, maybe what you have isn't that bad.

Rear portion of the fenders that attaches to the cowl have been cut off. Plus looking at the backside of the fenders reveals mucho rusto. I am in communication with some one that has a set. But if any one knows of any let me know.
Torchie[;)

Attachments

• IMG_2868.jpg
    IMG_2868.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2859.jpg
    IMG_2859.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 72
Torchie, what's going on? Hope life hasn't gone off the rails or anything. Ou haven't posted for a month. Hope all is well.

I've been very distracted with repairing my beat up passenger door. I've been learning some hammer and dolly stuff. Kinda cool, but I must be a slow learner.

I just read your entire thread again. It's time for me to pull apart my restored interior, and weld in some cross bracing. Then on to a chop if all goes well.

Latest posts

Back