1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting the article Torch. I need to blow it up so i can try and read the words haha. I agree with the rest of the folks though, i like yours better.

Dang -24!! If it was that cold here in MA id move.

-Chris

Ya it's small. Clicking on it should make it bigger. Notice I didn't say big enough...:)
A couple of counties over it was -35 this morning. :eek:
Torchie.

I did click on the pic and still couldn't read it... So much for my crappy eye sight :p. wow I can't even imagine having to deal with -35. It's suppose to be -3 tomorrow morning here and I'm already dreading that. I'll have to really get the wood stove cranking in the garage tomorrow.

-Chris

Just another day in paradise.....

Well it's -23 here right now so if I go out to the shop it will be later on when it gets above 0. :cool::cool:
Torchie.

I did click on the pic and still couldn't read it... So much for my crappy eye sight :p. wow I can't even imagine having to deal with -35. It's suppose to be -3 tomorrow morning here and I'm already dreading that. I'll have to really get the wood stove cranking in the garage tomorrow.

-Chris

If you have a mouse with a wheel on the computer, you can hold the Ctrl key and wheel the mouse wheel and change sizes in the posted item.

If you have a mouse with a wheel on the computer, you can hold the Ctrl key and wheel the mouse wheel and change sizes in the posted item.

If you don't have a mouse wheel press Ctrl and + to zoom in, Ctrl and - to zoom back out, and Ctrl and 0 (the one above your letter keys, not eh one on the number pad) to go back to standard.

Did manage a little garage time today.
Stripped out the dash. Interesting vacum switch attached to the speedometer.
probably a governing device of some sort as this is an F-6 and may have had a hydraulic dump box on it at one time.
Also suprised to see electric wiper motor. Does anyone know if this was standard on these trucks. I am used to seeing vacum wipers on stuff this old.
Also drilled new body mounting holes as I have moved the cab back 2 insh's from where it was.
Thanks for watching.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 28
Keep pickin' away at it Torchie.
That vacuum switch in the third picture may be a transmission in the speedometer cable that changes the speed of the speedometer when the two speed rear-end gears are changed. Those gears were shifted by vacuum and that change happened behind the speedo drive at the back of the transmission. The speedometer would read wrong in high range if it weren't for that little vacuum operated cable transmission. Maybe!
Keep on tinkering.

My '52 Dodge 1/2 ton has electric wiper setup on it thats original to the truck. I dunno if that means anything to your Ford but its worth mentioning.

-Chris

Keep pickin' away at it Torchie.
That vacuum switch in the third picture may be a transmission in the speedometer cable that changes the speed of the speedometer when the two speed rear-end gears are changed. Those gears were shifted by vacuum and that change happened behind the speedo drive at the back of the transmission. The speedometer would read wrong in high range if it weren't for that little vacuum operated cable transmission. Maybe!
Keep on tinkering.

Never thought of that Mac as I never really paid attention to the rear end of the original truck. All I saw was how heavy it looked.:eek. But I figured it may have been some sort of governing device.

I believe Mac is correct. on the speedo. does the electric wiper motor look factory? I thought they were all vacuum also.

My '52 Dodge 1/2 ton has electric wiper setup on it thats original to the truck. I dunno if that means anything to your Ford but its worth mentioning.

-Chris

kenny c and Chris.
Yes it is stock. 2 speed no less.:D
Did some investigating after my post of last night. It would appear that Ford offered the electric wipers as an option. I found them mostly on the larger trucks and the 5 star- job rated deluxe models. Don't know what year they started to offer them though.
I will have to test it to see if it works as I most likely will continue to run a 6 volt system on the truck.
Torchie.

Awesome project.
Learned a lot by reading your build thread.
Gonna be a great looking truck when it's done.
Congratulations

It's all part of the build......

Thanks Riff Raff.
Not much progress lately due to dealing with family issue's. But looking to get back at it soon.
Torchie.

Wow. Last build post was 3 weeks ago.:mad:
I have been going thru my own version of "March Madness" here.
Multiple trips*down to Detroit and back.
Got my Mother situated in a Care facility.
Launched my oldest on her new touring job.
Dismantling a well lived life of an 86 year old crafting pack rat.
Oh, and for s***s and giggles go and have unschedueled vascular surgery.

Plus dealing with the fallout from all of the above. See Pic.
Hope to have that mess cleaned up today.[cl
Thanks for looking in and Thanks for letting me vent......
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 40
Got the mess cleaned up...

Todays progress.
Pic 1 and 2 Finished fixing the gap on the PS door outer edge.
The cowl side of the door needs it to but I will do that with the door off for better access.
Pic 3 and 4. Cut away the Mirror bracket from the PS as well. I didn't feel like messing with trying to take the hinge pin out yet.
I really don't like the look of the hinges sticking way out. I have some ideas in regards to shaving them. But of course that envolves more work.:eek:
The least that will happen is some sort of a cover for the top ones to match the bottom ones better.
Thanks for looking in.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 33
Todays progress.
Pic 1 and 2 Finished fixing the gap on the PS door outer edge.
The cowl side of the door needs it to but I will do that with the door off for better access.
Pic 3 and 4. Cut away the Mirror bracket from the PS as well. I didn't feel like messing with trying to take the hinge pin out yet.
I really don't like the look of the hinges sticking way out. I have some ideas in regards to shaving them. But of course that envolves more work.:eek:
The least that will happen is some sort of a cover for the top ones to match the bottom ones better.
Thanks for looking in.
Torchie.

You are much too patient. I would be much more eager to get it finished and get driving than worrying about the hinges. [cl Your work will pay off though in the finished product!

I'm glad you're making forward progress, nice work!

You are much too patient. I would be much more eager to get it finished and get driving than worrying about the hinges. [cl Your work will pay off though in the finished product!

I'm glad you're making forward progress, nice work!

Hope things calm down for you soon!
I agree, don't fall into the trap of not getting to drive it to do more work on small things!

Thanks snopro and DR. Things seem to be mellowing out......[cl
I turned 57 two weeks ago and I have been doing serious projects since I was 15. Wooden boats. Old cars. Old house restorations.Commercial kitchens. Building rehabs. Hell I even rehab'd and reopened an old Ballroom when I was leading a big band. In 42 years of messing around with things this project has been the hardest for me to get any traction on. Having said that I have it set in my mind how I want this build to look. And yes the hinges aren't a deal breaker by any means,but just one more thing in a SLOWLY shortening list.:):)

What I would like to do is to use some 53-56 F-100 hinges that are the hidden style. So we will see.
My plan is to start on the front fender to cowl filler piece tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed.....
Thanks for looking in.
Torchie.

Latest posts

Back